7 lbs and under?

Casi1

Hey Guys,

Since my recent back problems require a bit of a lifestyle change (no lifting, etc), I was wondering if anyone has ideas on lightweight solid body guitars...

For those of you who own guitars that are 7 lbs and under, did you just pick these out at the store or if the guitar was a special order (through dealer or in Maryland), did you have to specify the desired weight? How does that work?

Of my guitars, these two are my lightest:

vU9xKXK.jpg

Those two are awesome guitars but I'm hoping to have more lightweight solidbody options in the near future.

My 408, 513, and McCarty are all kinda heavy so I havent touched them in a few months ... insert sad face here. My SAS NF is mid-weight. I sold the 513 but I'm emotionally attached to the 408, the McCarty, and the SAS.

Thoughts? I love the way a lot of the new Custom 24's sound (apparently I like bright) especially with a dry maple neck but all of the ones I've laid hands on have been closer to 8 lbs. Is a lightweight Custom a fantasy?

Thanks!

I think it will be very difficult to find a sub 7 lb custom 24 with a trem without going ps and picking ultra light weight woods or going semihollow, even that may be a stretch. Ime a term usually adds around half a pound or so over a stop tail.

I think it will be very difficult to find a sub 7 lb custom 24 with a trem without going ps and picking ultra light weight woods or going semihollow, even that may be a stretch. Ime a term usually adds around half a pound or so over a stop tail.

Bummer. Thats what I was worried about. I've seen a few Custom Semi-hollows online (dealer specials) that list 6.5 to 7 lbs but it seems that the features on these are very very specific. Most have swamp ash backs and Pattern Thin necks. My hand pretty much hates the Pattern Thin profile. The guitar could be the perfect gorgeous color and sound like angels flapping their wings but if the neck is thin, my hand will be like 'screw this...NEXT'.

My Vela RL is 6# and my back loves it. Getting something under 7 is going to require a lightweight wood, or a chambered/semi hollow.

This may not work if you're a Metal guy, but if you have back issues I'd start looking at hollow and semi hollow guitars. Some are as light as 5 lbs.

Mira and Vela. An old school Mira for 24 frets.

You can get down to right at 7 or a couple ounces above with a Custom if you hunt around. Sweetwater has a couple at 7lbs 3oz. Put feelers out with them and some other big dealers like Wilcutt and Righteous Guitars.

The only way to spec weight when you order is to go Private Stock.

Thanks for all of the responses! I will stay on the hunt and focus on the big dealers. In the meantime, I will spend some more time with my lightweight korina mccarty.

It sounds like I might have to eventually go the PS route because besides the weight issue, I've got a specific neck shape that I want AND bright tone. I've only seen one or two guitars online that meet these two criteria (one was a used custom 24 in an awful color and the other was a new custom 24 semi hollow but it had an ash back which changes the tone).

The RL Vela is stupid-light. Stu-pid! Even if you changed the bridge pup (don’t you dare change the neck!), it can do anything and feel like nothing on your shoulders.

Core Mira
Hollow Body
NF3 ( would go great with you DC3 )
There is a CU22 Semi-Hollow LTD on eBay from a forum member I have purchased from before

Or pick up a used Mira X. Lightest by far. So light, it is is almost headstock heavy. The pickups are Mira pickups with a different magnet, according to PRS. My son has one, and it is quite serviceable.

This may not work if you're a Metal guy, but if you have back issues I'd start looking at hollow and semi hollow guitars. Some are as light as 5 lbs.

In general, perhaps - but Emil makes the hollow body work for metal.

I'm gonna try to get my hands on a used Mira. Every once in a while, one will pop up in my local shop; I guess I was always preoccupied with something else because I've never actually tried that model even though I've seen one several times, hanging on a wall. Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Actually a hollowbody is VERY capable of pulling off Metal...

...look up some of Emil Wersler's older video on YouTube; he used to thrash on a Spruce top'd HB PRS.

You could always go old school and look for a Sig Ltd or LE Sig from the early 90s. 24 frets, 2 piece bridge and hollow body with no f-holes.

The Zach Myers has a wide fat neck, but they're not all under 7 lbs. Sweetwater is saying that the front black one is 6 lbs., but the trampas green one is 7 lbs. They're customer service oriented, so I'd call them and make sure you get one of the lighter ones. I'm pretty sure mine is one of the lighter ones, and I love the neck.

Back