#7 Bridge Pickup

Stilla Yinzer

So I pickup up a 2017 PRS S2 Singlecut Satin recently and I definitely love the guitar. With that said, I am very much on the fence with the stock #7 bridge pickup. I find that I don't mind and many even like how it mixes with the neck #7 in the middle position; however, when I just play that pickup, it sounds a bit thin, nasally and lacks output. On the flip side, I realize that it is intended to be a lower output pickup and does offer good dynamics and articulation. I have a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 that I could install and probably will at some point just to see what it sounds like, but I am undecided which way I am leaning. I have an SG with hot pickups so I am thinking the PRS could be my lower output alternative for different tones. That said, a Custom 5 is not a super hot bridge pickup. I play a lot of hard rock and metal, but I also like to be able to back it up and play classic rock or lightly distorted stuff.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the #7 bridge? Anyone tried other pickups here? Results?

I haven't played the S2 version, but I love the #7's in my 2000 SC.

I say try the SD and see what you think. You can always go back.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I has a 2006 Singlecut 10top with #7's in it. I liked them just fine, but fwiw also know that I too play metal, prefer low output pickups and use exclusively high output tube amplifiers to get the headbanging goodness I'm looking for.

I have an S2 single cut semi hollow with the #7's and I agree with your assessment
I have played with the idea of swapping the pickups to something hotter, but I have other guitars I can play if I want that sound.
I mostly use the neck or middle position on that guitar anyway.

I would suggest putting that custom 5 in the bridge position and see how you get on with it.
It might work out just fine and it's an easy swap back if you don't.

Back