7 and 8 strings in Private Stock pricelist

Yes, they are very expensive. But it may be a move into the right direction (i.e. a 7-string core model).

Yeah i want a core because i don't like all of the flash that comes with Pravate Stocks, if i bit the bullet and paid 10k for a guitar it wouldn't be giggable in my eyes. Id like a gigable PRS 7. I know everybody says the SE. 7 is the one to get but its rather lackluster in my eyes. An S2 7-string would be a great middleground, id rock one of those.

Yeah i want a core because i don't like all of the flash that comes with Pravate Stocks, if i bit the bullet and paid 10k for a guitar it wouldn't be giggable in my eyes. Id like a gigable PRS 7. I know everybody says the SE. 7 is the one to get but its rather lackluster in my eyes. An S2 7-string would be a great middleground, id rock one of those.
I like my SE-7. What do you find lackluster about it? The pups? Swap them. The electronics? Swap them.

If you don't like the guitar because of the wood, is it because of the carve, or the materials?

I like my SE-7. What do you find lackluster about it? The pups? Swap them. The electronics? Swap them.

If you don't like the guitar because of the wood, is it because of the carve, or the materials?

Everything. I dont ever buy guitars that i have to change tuners, pickups, hardware, electronics & nut on. Those 7's to me have pretty bad all of the above to me, so i stay away. The reason i got into PRS was because it was one of the only guitars i could find where i don't really have to change anything on it, SE's don't fall into that category for me. More power to you if that doesn't bug you, but to buy a brand new guitar that i have to change everything on bugs me a lot.

I noticed that. I guess they figured since they're all tooled up for them, why not.

A Private Stock doesn't have to be flashy if you don't want it to be. Would still cost an arm and a leg, though.

For now I like the idea of the SE 7 as a point of entry, since I'm only seven-curious and wouldn't want to drop a lot of money in case I don't take to it. Seems like an S2 or or even a CE 7 would be a really cool guitar!

Everything. I dont ever buy guitars that i have to change tuners, pickups, hardware, electronics & nut on. Those 7's to me have pretty bad all of the above to me, so i stay away. The reason i got into PRS was because it was one of the only guitars i could find where i don't really have to change anything on it, SE's don't fall into that category for me. More power to you if that doesn't bug you, but to buy a brand new guitar that i have to change everything on bugs me a lot.
I didn't change a thing on my SE-7. I only offered up those things because they are the types of things that can be changed at relatively low cost, and seem to be typical targets, keeping the overall price still well under even an S2.

But yeah, it seems you'd only be happy with a Core 7 stringer, and I understand.

The only thing I've changed on my SE-7 is the pots. I'm going to change the pickups, not because I'm dissatisfied, but because the Holcomb pups are going to be available in March, and I like how they sound on the low-tuned stuff. None of that stuff *had* to be changed. Nothing else on the guitar needs to be changed - no issues with anything on it. There are only two reasons why it's not a gig-able guitar for me - 1) I don't play enough 7-string to feel comfortable doing that; and 2) I don't have a band, so I don't gig. But I record with it with no hesitation.

Would I buy a PS 7-string? I can't say the idea hasn't crossed my mind - I saw a 7-string neck in the vault, and my mind started racing at the possibilities. I had to remind myself that I wasn't there for a 7-string. The words of the great David Bowie from "Into The Night" ran through my head (at 3:20, if it doesn't start there)...

But it's awful hard to convince myself that a PS7 is in my future at this point.

This catalog just took me down a deep, deep rabbit hole....

Googling PS finish colors, neck woods, fretboard woods, playing the "if i spec'ed a PS..." game

They're expensive no doubt, but that's always been the case for the 7 and now 8 stringers. If they release a core model I do wish the pickups are direct mount. I feel they provide a cleaner look for those models, but that's a story for another day.

Wish I had the money to get one!
Although if I were dropping that cash I'd want some more options (different wood choices, mainly ebony fretboard). I'm sure going through PS that any changes would be easily accommodated with an upcharge.

We need to see some more PRS USA 7's around here. Someone order a couple and post pics! ;)

Wish I had the money to get one!
Although if I were dropping that cash I'd want some more options (different wood choices, mainly ebony fretboard). I'm sure going through PS that any changes would be easily accommodated with an upcharge.

We need to see some more PRS USA 7's around here. Someone order a couple and post pics! ;)
Fine.

Back