#6 pickups

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by maestromatt, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Micky!

Micky! Dragon trainer

No news from Shawn?

2. Brad737

Brad737 This space for rent...

Shawn doesn’t work at PRS anymore.

3. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Shawn's not here, man...

[​IMG]

Alnus Rubra, Iceman101 and bodia like this.
  4. TenTopMcCartyIRWN

TenTopMcCartyIRWN New Member

I measured the DC resistance of my PRS #6 pickups that I pulled from my SCT IRW.

Bridge 11.56k
    Neck 7.62k

Wow, what a difference. Measured multiple times, just to make sure. Would like an explanation from PRS.

5. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

The explanation is some PRS bridge pickups have higher outputs than the neck pickups do. The #6 isn't on this list, but that output is right in the range of the Dragon II and Santana III sets.

[​IMG]

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  6. TenTopMcCartyIRWN

Thanks alantig, I guess it’s not that weird after all.

7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

It's all a taste thing. I have a Tremonti, and that's got a wildly different range. It was rather shocking at first, and to be honest, there are still days I'm not sure I like the neck pup, at least in combination w/that bridge. I've tweaked it and adjusted it, and I can live with it, but there are still times I wonder if the thing is working right because it feels so different.

8. Micky!

Micky! Dragon trainer

That was the way modern pickup set were built in the 80s to 2000s. The idea was to push the amp with a high output bridge PU, combine with a smoother tone neck PU. It started with Dimarzio super distortion, and continued with Jazz / JB. It's what makes the hard rock sound. Personally I like that.

Nowadays with high gain amp everywhere people prefer to use are low output pickups, and building the sound with the amp or pedals. It's a different taste / philosophy. I like both but I prefer high output bridge PUs.

With this configuration I stay most of the time in bridge position anyway. So even if I try to tweak the PU height to get something as balanced as possible, it's not dramatic to have some volume difference, as long as both PU sound good, and that the middle position is interesting.

#28 Micky!, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  9. TenTopMcCartyIRWN

yep, or kick on a mid boost pedal. If I bought a new 58/15LT equipped guitar, I’d have to dust off the tube screamer.

Micky! likes this.