#6 pickups

Shawn doesn’t work at PRS anymore.

Shawn's not here, man...

hqdefault.jpg

I measured the DC resistance of my PRS #6 pickups that I pulled from my SCT IRW.

Bridge 11.56k
Neck 7.62k

Wow, what a difference. Measured multiple times, just to make sure. Would like an explanation from PRS.

I measured the DC resistance of my PRS #6 pickups that I pulled from my SCT IRW.

Bridge 11.56k
Neck 7.62k

Wow, what a difference. Measured multiple times, just to make sure. Would like an explanation from PRS.

The explanation is some PRS bridge pickups have higher outputs than the neck pickups do. The #6 isn't on this list, but that output is right in the range of the Dragon II and Santana III sets.

PRS-PickupsChart.jpg

The explanation is some PRS bridge pickups have higher outputs than the neck pickups do. The #6 isn't on this list, but that output is right in the range of the Dragon II and Santana III sets.

PRS-PickupsChart.jpg
Thanks alantig, I guess it’s not that weird after all.

Thanks alantig, I guess it’s not that weird after all.

It's all a taste thing. I have a Tremonti, and that's got a wildly different range. It was rather shocking at first, and to be honest, there are still days I'm not sure I like the neck pup, at least in combination w/that bridge. I've tweaked it and adjusted it, and I can live with it, but there are still times I wonder if the thing is working right because it feels so different.

That was the way modern pickup set were built in the 80s to 2000s. The idea was to push the amp with a high output bridge PU, combine with a smoother tone neck PU. It started with Dimarzio super distortion, and continued with Jazz / JB. It's what makes the hard rock sound. Personally I like that.

Nowadays with high gain amp everywhere people prefer to use are low output pickups, and building the sound with the amp or pedals. It's a different taste / philosophy. I like both but I prefer high output bridge PUs.

With this configuration I stay most of the time in bridge position anyway. So even if I try to tweak the PU height to get something as balanced as possible, it's not dramatic to have some volume difference, as long as both PU sound good, and that the middle position is interesting.

Last edited:
That was the way modern pickup set were built in the 80s to 2000s. The idea was to push the amp with a high output bridge PU, combine with a smoother tone neck PU. It started with Dimarzio super distortion, and continued with Jazz / JB. It's what makes the hard rock sound. Personally I like that.

Nowadays with high gain amp everywhere people prefer to use are low output pickups, and building the sound with the amp or pedals. It's a different taste / philosophy. I like both but I prefer high output bridge PUs.

With this configuration I stay most of the time in bridge position anyway. So even if I try to tweak the PU height to get something as balanced as possible, it's not dramatic to have some volume difference, as long as both PU sound good, and that the middle position is interesting.

yep, or kick on a mid boost pedal. If I bought a new 58/15LT equipped guitar, I’d have to dust off the tube screamer.

Back