#6 pickups

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by maestromatt, Feb 26, 2015.

1. maestromatt

maestromatt New Member

How do the PRS #6 pickups sound? I've been looking for a Single Cut Trem and they all seem to come with #6 pickups. How do those sound?

2. wardog

wardog What the gravy and cheese!!!!

I like mine, but I like the sound of the 59/09 and 57/08 better. They are not as articulate as either, They get good volume and the neck pickup is my favorite position. Really the guitar itself is killer. you want be disappointed in that. I plan to replace them in the distant future with 59/09 or 85/15 if they sell them in the prs store.

3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Yes, #6's were standard pups on the trem equipped SC's. #7's were standard on the stoptails. I haven't heard the #6's so I can't say first hand, but from the chatter they seem to be a love/hate kind of thing. #7's were generally loved. Even if you don't care for them that shouldn't be a reason to prevent buying the SCT. It is the trem you want, the pups can be changed easily. For me, I love the SC and the stoptail if fine.

4. maestromatt

maestromatt New Member

The #7's are in most S2's these days correct?

5. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

About half of them, but they are not the same as the original #7's. They are remakes from Korea and they split. The originals do not.

6. maestromatt

maestromatt New Member

Oh okay. I've also seen the 2013 Experience PRS SC trems with 59/09s i think...but I can't find any for sale anywhere... *cue depression*

7. OsirisProtocol

OsirisProtocol 10 o'Clubs

I have a set that have been in and out of my SCT a few times. Not a bad sound but they did sound a bit flat to me last time I had them in. Flat as in no they didn't really do any particular genre particularly well for me at least. They are one of those pickups that people either absolutely love or hate from what I've read online over the years. I'm pretty indifferent about them to be honest. The #7 pickups in my last SC were absolutely brilliant though, but that's neither here nor there.

8. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

#6s are one of the hotter pickup sets in the PRS line. ( 12K in the bridge )
    I have them in my SCT if you lower them a bit I really like the way they pair with the rosewood neck.
    The SCT is a killer guitar and one of the best single cut guitars I have ever played, get it and change the pickups if they are not your bag

9. Brad737

Brad737 This space for rent...

Hi Matt,

The SCT is a wonderful guitar. I simply love mine. However, I think the #6 bridge is one of the worst PRS pickups I've ever heard...just thin and lifeless. Although there are several neck pickups I like better, the #6 neck sounds pretty good. The good news is there is about 42 million choices you can swap into the bridge position. My IRW SCT is a rarity in my collection. It's my only PRS with a non-PRS pickup. I went with a zebra coil EVH Wolfgang bridge pickup and popped some gold polepiece screws in it. Now, it sounds as good as it looks.
    Good luck!