594 WL pickup swap

dmatthews

Dave's not here
Some of you know I grabbed a 2017 594 WL a while back.
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-wl-594-satin-oh-yes.41777/
Somebody decided that the bridge needed a Dimarzio.
Nice pup but I wanted to have it stock.
As the sale came with a 58/15 LT I jumped on it only to discover that it is a two conductor pup as used in HB guitars.
So I found a local guy that would tap the 58/15LT and install it.
Wish me luck, I'll get it back on Monday.

Some of you know I grabbed a 2017 594 WL a while back.
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-wl-594-satin-oh-yes.41777/
Somebody decided that the bridge needed a Dimarzio.
Nice pup but I wanted to have it stock.
As the sale came with a 58/15 LT I jumped on it only to discover that it is a two conductor pup as used in HB guitars.
So I found a local guy that would tap the 58/15LT and install it.
Wish me luck, I'll get it back on Monday.
Wow, good luck, I can't imagine handing a $200 pickup over to someone to take it apart and attempt to separate out the jumper wire to make it 4 conductor.

Wow, good luck, I can't imagine handing a $200 pickup over to someone to take it apart and attempt to separate out the jumper wire to make it 4 conductor.
Dude was nonchalant.
Interesting indeed. Nice guy and has been doing mods/repairs for almost 30 years.
I can always put the Dimarzio back in, but this seems like a worthy experiment for $70 CAD

OK here it is...
Had one practice and a couple hours at home with the tapped/modified 5815 LT in the bridge.
Tapped you get that spank/quack when you want it. Reacts just as I'd expect the original pup to, and you know you're there with a little added hum.
Humbucker mode is glorious and adds that wonderful mid and drive.
The tap on the bridge falls in line nicely with the tap on the neck pup. Same like same.
If you have a similar pup without the 3rd wire and want to be able to split/tap it, run don't walk to a luthier/tech that knows how to do it.
Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier, but yeah... it works!
And it looks cool/stock too!:D

Nope. The 5815 LT that I got was 2 wire only.
There's a common connection between the two coils, and that's what you tap.
The 5815 LT uses a braid-shielded wire for hot and ground, and the white wire is connected between the coils as you said. This is two wires, but technically three conductor. All you have to do is connect the white wire to ground through a switch and you’ll get your coil tap. All your tech had to do was install the pickup and wire the tap up. No pickup modification required.

The 5815 LT uses a braid-shielded wire for hot and ground, and the white wire is connected between the coils as you said. This is two wires, but technically three conductor. All you have to do is connect the white wire to ground through a switch and you’ll get your coil tap. All your tech had to do was install the pickup and wire the tap up. No pickup modification required.
Yup... I think we're both saying the same thing in two different ways.
In any case, a simple addition that I didn't feel comfortable doing myself but am thrilled with the results.:)

Back