594 with ebony fret board

P90s

Some of the 594 Artist models have the ebony fret board on a mahogany neck. Has anyone A/B'd ebony vs rosewood to notice whether it makes any noticeable difference? How would you describe it? 5% difference? Huge?

Some of the 594 Artist models have the ebony fret board on a mahogany neck. Has anyone A/B'd ebony vs rosewood to notice whether it makes any noticeable difference? How would you describe it? 5% difference? Huge?

I have had ebony fretboards on several mahogany neck PRSes. It gives the note a faster attack. This is often perceived as brightness. A rosewood board is perceived as warmer.

Both are great-sounding, as far as I'm concerned; each has its very considerable pros with few cons.

I had both examples. I would agree with Les' take with regard to the perceived brightness of ebony versus warmth with rosewood. The ebony board was on one of Brain's WL runs, so it had a 59/09 in the bridge. That, and the ebony fretboard made that guitar scream! My term for the ebony board would be sizzle.

I have had ebony fretboards on several mahogany neck PRSes. It gives the note a faster attack. This is often perceived as brightness. A rosewood board is perceived as warmer.

Both are great-sounding, as far as I'm concerned; each has its very considerable pros with few cons.

Thanks, Les. Do you lose any of the low/mid-range harmonics with ebony? I notice that with a maple neck, the tonal focus is more in the upper registers and you lose some of the lower tones. Does that happen with an ebony fretboard?

I've always enjoyed playing ebony boards. They tend to have a harder, slightly slicker feel.

Thanks, Les. Do you lose any of the low/mid-range harmonics with ebony? I notice that with a maple neck, the tonal focus is more in the upper registers and you lose some of the lower tones. Does that happen with an ebony fretboard?

I didn't notice a loss of lower mids with my mahogany/Ebony combinations.

Just be aware that it doesn't sound the same as a RW fretboard, and since we don't all listen for exactly the same things, I can't say what your reaction might be.

Last edited:
I have 3 PRS with ebony boards. The sound is not lacking anything, it just has a more immediate attack on the front end of the note off the pick, and the guitar is just clearer in every position. I'm such a huge fan that I only have one rosewood board PRS now, a Brazzy Santana II.

It is my preferred board by far. Looks great, feels great, sounds punchy and clear.

My favorite for a while has been the ebony. In fact, I am on the edge of ordering a pair of custom builts with ebony board on a korina neck with a chambered korina body.....And a few other doodads. ;)

Back