594 vs LP questions (maybe not the best title)

That's an excellent choice, Faber top rated. tight machining specifications Germans do exceelnt precision machining.
3 years ago I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry boneyard. it was an excellent guitar Dirt cheap. it was played quite a bit. Which usually means somebody loved it and it played really well. however I completely stripped it down to pure wood. (Snip)

I really need to remember and take pics. Anyway I’ve done the same. It’s sitting in my room bare naked. Waiting on some stain and oil to arrive. I’ve already got the new pickups. Need to order the tuners still. And some new pots. My dad also plays and lately has gotten into setting them up. Between us we have the tools to build a guitar, which is my next big project. So the LP will definitely get a proper set up. But he can definitely do the work to get the fret and neck up to prs level. I just want the rest of it to be solid also. I’ll post pics and keep y’all updated on how it goes.

And yes this guitar is definitely sentimental. More than just the first guitar I bought myself, it was also the one I used the most live back in my 20’s. Even with me not playing it in years, it is without a doubt the guitar I’ve played the most. So it has always felt “right”. I just want it to sound great also. :)

Should totally be possible to do. Some nice lowish output pickups, quality pots, switch and jack all wired together with good wire. Orange drop tone caps (as these are good, easy to get and cheap, but you might want to go more exotic just for the sake of it). All wired together in 50s syle.
Should be killer.

I own both a 2017 594 Wood Library and a 2018 Gibson Modern Les Paul Custom. If I had to choose between the two it would be a very tough choice. The "feel" is different on a lot of levels. The 594 is a very technically refined precision instrument but in no way gives the impression of a vintage instrument. The LPC has that old violin look and feel of a fine vintage instrument in a 2018 guitar... pretty impressive.

I really appreciate both for what they are. I commend PRS for their technical precision, beauty, and unsurpassed attention to detail (core models) and I applaud Gibson for being able to impart that vintage feel and impression in a 2018 guitar. The LPC does have little tells of human hands and while maybe less technically perfect, it is more artistically perfect.

Both really REALLY nice guitars that fill different needs and tastes within my wide spectrum of personality disorders :)

Okay so quick update. And sorry no pics yet. But I have the LP mostly done. It’s at least playable. I need to pick out some knobs for the volume and tone. And change out some gold hardware here and there. But overall I’m happy. It’s not quite as similar to the 594 as I had hoped. But close enough to get me by. And in actuality closer than I thought it would be in some ways. Tonally it’s not far off. A little less low mids and maybe slightly brighter. But just barely. I may like the neck pickup better in the LP. It’s a bit thinner and matches the bridge better. But just doesn’t have that “life” to the sound like the 594. Also the feel and fit and finish are obviously worlds apart. Anyway the 594 has already been sold. I will definitely miss it. At least until I get to the point to where I can by a 594 with a rosewood neck. Or the new 594 HBii could be cool. Anyway I’ll try and post some pics soon.

Back