594 vs DGT

MNG

Sorry if this has been discussed - I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I've been through a bunch of PRS over the years and had different favourites over time. I finally settled on the DGT as the model that suited me best. My first proper guitar as a kid was a strat and my ultimate strat is a James Tyler. The DGT complements that so well and, despite having a number of different guitars, the Tyler and the DGT combo pretty much covers it all imo.

I think the DGT became probably the most universally acclaimed PRS model, but there is now a lot of fuss about the 594. So my question is, from a twin humbucker perspective, what are the opinions on the tonal comparison between these two?

Last edited:
I have a friend with a DGT. he played the 594 and said the neck shape was much sweeter on the PRS McCarty 594. (for what its worth)

I recently compared the 594 and DGT (and McCarty). For me, it came down to ergonomics and the neck pickup.

I got along fine with both necks, but Pattern Vintage is becoming a favorite for me. Fills my hand just right.
DGT pickups were hotter (but not very hot), darker, warmer. Bridge pickup was killer, but neck pup wasn't for me (Too dark. I'm picky). The 58/15 LT is among the best sounding neck humbuckers to me.
I did not like the DGT control layout. The positions of the volumes were counter-intuitive to me (easy to reverse their locations), but the trem bar was in the way of everything. The 594 controls are very natural for me to use.
Individual coil splits, as on the 594, rule.
I might say the DGT sounded like Duane Allman at the Fillmore (but with a whammy bar!) and the 594 is like Eric Clapton with Bluesbreakers.

Both were excellent, so I think it comes down to personal preference. They're different enough to justify having both. :cool:

I recently compared the 594 and DGT (and McCarty). For me, it came down to ergonomics and the neck pickup.

I got along fine with both necks, but Pattern Vintage is becoming a favorite for me. Fills my hand just right.
DGT pickups were hotter (but not very hot), darker, warmer. Bridge pickup was killer, but neck pup wasn't for me (Too dark. I'm picky). The 58/15 LT is among the best sounding neck humbuckers to me.
I did not like the DGT control layout. The positions of the volumes were counter-intuitive to me (easy to reverse their locations), but the trem bar was in the way of everything. The 594 controls are very natural for me to use.
Individual coil splits, as on the 594, rule.
I might say the DGT sounded like Duane Allman at the Fillmore (but with a whammy bar!) and the 594 is like Eric Clapton with Bluesbreakers.

Both were excellent, so I think it comes down to personal preference. They're different enough to justify having both. :cool:

Enjoyed your post and your findings very much! Makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've edited my original post as it is the tonal comparison that I am interested in. The subtle physical differences are what they are and that will be down to personal preference and experience, but of all the PRS double cut models, these seem to be aiming the most in a Gibson direction.

I do think, personally, that you are really missing out on a lot if you don't have twin volume controls on a twin humbucker guitar.

"I think the DGT became probably the most universally acclaimed PRS model, but there is now a lot of fuss about the 594. So my question is, from a twin humbucker perspective, what are the opinions on the tonal comparison between these two?"

@MNG,
Focusing on a double humbucker guitar you might be right - to a certain extent, due to the fact that a DGT has a tripple poti layout with a push-pull, instead of double poti likewise a CU22/24.
But 408 or Paul´s Guitar deliver more sound options within a twin HB layout.

For more versatileness you have to go with a Brent Mason or a 513.

A few months ago I was allowed to compare a PS DGT (retail pricing in 2014 approx. 12.800 USD) with my core 513 MT (made in 2011). I was disappointed by the tonal behaviour of the DGT.

To me, a guitar's personality, tone, is tough to pin down until it's in my hands playing thru my rig. The feel, the reaction, the vibe, has to come from completing the puzzle. Because, when it comes down to it, we're splitting hairs between a DGT and a 594.

Hey there I own both a fab gold top DGT (I've owned about 4) and a few months ago purchased a 594. I couldn't agree more from a tonal perspective regarding the DGT evoking Allman tones at the Fillmore and the 594 sounding like Blluesbreakers Clapton. The only additional comment I'd add is that the 594 also reminds me totally of a Cream era tone when using the middle position and rolling the neck tone knob off. There's a whole lot of useful tones with this model. That being said though, both models are my total faves and, and if you can swing it, own both! BTW, it took me about a 2 minutes of playing the 594 to decide I was going to take it home with me!

If you're after a Gibson-y Vintage tone, neither the 513, nor Pauls Guitar or the 408 would be my go-to choices: I owned a 408 for almost 3 years (it had to go for a Custom Strat after I had the DGT for a year) and could test-drive a PsG for two or three months at home: all three are much more modern-voiced (brighter/clearer) than a DGT or McCarty (594).

My history with the 513 was - mildly put - rather rocky: I had to learn on that model that even PRS has quality issues from time to time. First one hummed, second one had finish issues, then I went for the DGT.

I would also go as far to say that - even with the stock pickups - a DGT covers more ground tonally than a 408 or PsG. And if you replace the DGTs stock pickups (which isn't possible on a PsG or a 408 without woodwork), you can personalise the DGT even more (as I did).

The single-coilish sounds of the 408 humbuckers differ far less from the full humbucking tones (albeit without volume loss, which might be part of the problem) than the coil-split/tap and humbucker tones differ on a (stock) DGT. For my purposes, the volume drop when switching from humbucking to single coil mode comes in very handy: it will clean up an overdriven amp rather nicely...

To me, the DGT offers a wider range of tones than the 594. Splits are more spanky on the DGT. The 594, split, is more subtle to me. Both great, just different.

Regarding dual volume and tone controls, I find that I need that with the 594 for some reason, but not with the DGT. The DGT with both pickups selected doesn't suffer from not being able to blend using volume differences. My preference with the 594 in the middle position is definitely not with both volume controls set identical though, so for whatever reason, it needs both.

Not sure I could pick which I'd prefer.

Do you mean that the DGT doesn't suffer from not being able to blend tone controls Aristotle? I assume you do and I tend to agree with that. I think that middle position on a twin humbucker is lost without two volumes though, you certainly lose all the flexibility that that can provide.

I don't feel a need for a 594 since I am very comfortable with the DGT neck and I don't particularly like the switch where it is on the 594. I have two DGT's, one of which is this one which has a foot further into the Gibson/594 camp anyway: https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/prs-4055-dgt-stoptail-spalted-maple

I appreciate all of these comparisons and experiences. A particular guitar is going to respond relative to the amp and how you configure it, as well as the material and how you play it. Please state the rest of your rig when making a tonal analysis because a DGT will be a different animal with an Archon than it would be with a Dallas...as will almost any other guitar.

And that's why I've never played one for two minutes!
Actually I "knew" after two minutes that I was going to pull the trigger on the acquisition. I actually however played the guitar for about a half hour, and had to stop myself so I could get out the door and make the one and half hour drive home. I just couldn't stop playing the dang thing!

I appreciate all of these comparisons and experiences. A particular guitar is going to respond relative to the amp and how you configure it, as well as the material and how you play it. Please state the rest of your rig when making a tonal analysis because a DGT will be a different animal with an Archon than it would be with a Dallas...as will almost any other guitar.
For me I only own and use an 18 watt 1974 EL 84 equipped amp (own two of the same model actually, one as a back up). I usually use the same setting all the time, and feel both the 594 and DGT fit the "vintage" tones quite nicely, moreso than any other PRS Model (IMHO). I recognize however that tone is also in one's own hands...

There are many variables, but I thought that your comments on tone were in line with what I'd expect given the difference is spec between the two.

I have a DGT with a trem and one with a two piece stop tail like the 549. Both have DGT pick ups. They sound different from each other but, again, in a way that you would expect given the different bridge types.

Back