594 Soapbar versus 58/15 Pickups

I have not done it (yet) with a PRS, but based upon a pair of Huber Krautsters, a Hartung Junico, Hamer Duo-Tone, and Fibenare "Jazz", I will add my vote for a P90 neck and HB bridge setup.

Thank you :) The playing was great and I can see why you love them both equally. Quite specific and lovely tones. Possibly the bridge humbucker edged it for warmth for me but I am going to listen again a few times more to check that one. Thank you so much for giving me this comparison to work with.

We all hear and describe tones differently, so I figured an actual comparison might be a good idea.

The P-90s are midrange and lower-midrange rich, with a vocal quality that the humbuckers don’t have to the same degree.

On the other hand, the humbuckers have a more sparkling upper midrange and high end that the P-90s don’t accentuate as much.

It’s great to have both, as far as I’m concerned, and I’m truly enjoying these guitars.

One thing to keep in mind when listening to the tracks is that I have the volume and tone controls rolled back a bit on both lead segments. Both can be brighter with those controls full-up, so the comparison will only give you a general idea, unless you’re like me and control the gain of an amp with your guitar.

We all hear and describe tones differently, so I figured an actual comparison might be a good idea.

The P-90s are midrange and lower-midrange rich, with a vocal quality that the humbuckers don’t have to the same degree.

On the other hand, the humbuckers have a more sparkling upper midrange and high end that the P-90s don’t accentuate as much.

It’s great to have both, as far as I’m concerned, and I’m truly enjoying these guitars.

One thing to keep in mind when listening to the tracks is that I have the volume and tone controls rolled back a bit on both lead segments. Both can be brighter with those controls full-up, so the comparison will only give you a general idea, unless you’re like me and control the gain of an amp with your guitar.

I control gain from both the guitar and the amp depending on what I am playing. Your soundcloud comparison has made me doubly clear that owning both would be the best solution but as that won't happen anytime soon, I am going to have to hope for the most amazing sale ever to happen or else make my mind up somehow! PRS have a lot to answer for .......:D

@LSchefman since we both own the 594 and 594 SoapBar, I’m interested in what you are using for pickup height on each. I’m at 3/64 from bottom of string to top of pole piece on both bridge pickups, and 4/64 on both neck pickups.

I have both. I love them equally.

Here’s a clip of both guitars back-to-back through a PRS DG30 amp and cab, with an Xotic BB on the melody parts.

The rhythm part was soapbars only, neck pickup, no pedal. The first lead is the bridge pickup on the soapbar; the second lead is bridge pickup on the humbucker.

I generally run the volume controls on the guitars around 6-8. They get brighter if you max the volume, obviously, but I like things a bit warmer. YMMV.

Also the humbucker guitar has a maple neck and Braz fretboard. I can’t say how much difference that makes, but having played the mahogany/IRW version, it’s pretty subtle.

Please forgive the sloppy playing.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messya-deux-v2
Nice track Les, I like the Latin vibe you have with this one.

Listened to some of your other tracks as well, some real nice music.

@LSchefman since we both own the 594 and 594 SoapBar, I’m interested in what you are using for pickup height on each. I’m at 3/64 from bottom of string to top of pole piece on both bridge pickups, and 4/64 on both neck pickups.

At what point do I shamefully admit that I don’t even own a ruler capable of fine measurement? :eek:

I haven’t measured them. They sound good to me at whatever the stock height is, so I haven’t fussed with them.

I’d probably just do it by ear if it became necessary, because I’m that much of a simpleton.

At what point do I shamefully admit that I don’t even own a ruler capable of fine measurement? :eek:

I haven’t measured them. They sound good to me at whatever the stock height is, so I haven’t fussed with them.

I’d probably just do it by ear if it became necessary, because I’m that much of a simpleton.
Maybe the lack of ruler, but you are by no means a simpleton. Just reading your thread comments!

I have not done it (yet) with a PRS, but based upon a pair of Huber Krautsters, a Hartung Junico, Hamer Duo-Tone, and Fibenare "Jazz", I will add my vote for a P90 neck and HB bridge setup.

Like the Chris Robertson? It has that configuration

Back