594 Soapbar Thread

This thread needs more pics!

Post up your new toys people!

Oh, and by the way.. N5SSD! These are fantastic guitars:

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

I love that one. Stellar.

My question might sounds silly, I have no experience in P90's but I've heard many demos and songs,
so can the split HB on a 594 get close to P90's realm or it's a different ball game altogether?

For me, different ball game, although there's a touch of P-90-ish tone in the split 58/15 humbuckers.

My question might sounds silly, I have no experience in P90's but I've heard many demos and songs,
so can the split HB on a 594 get close to P90's realm or it's a different ball game altogether?

To me they're way different. The split 594 to me sounds thin and unsatisfying, and usually it's only a few minutes before I wrinkle up my nose and slap the knob back down to non-split mode. The P90 has a brilliant top end but enough guts to sound like its own thing, and I'll noodle on that for an hour or more at a time. It's worth remembering that the original goal of the PAF humbucker was to sound like a P90 without the hum.

One thing that's reeled me in on the 594 (besides the terrific sound) is the neck carve. It's like a broken-in baseball glove, it just feels really good, really "right."

Not only can one hear why the 594 has gotten such glowing reviews, one can feel why. I wish I could put into words why it feels so good, but I suppose that doesn't matter.

The point is that the combination of the feel of this thing, and the stellar tone quality, is pretty special.

To me they're way different. The split 594 to me sounds thin and unsatisfying, and usually it's only a few minutes before I wrinkle up my nose and slap the knob back down to non-split mode. The P90 has a brilliant top end but enough guts to sound like its own thing, and I'll noodle on that for an hour or more at a time. It's worth remembering that the original goal of the PAF humbucker was to sound like a P90 without the hum.
so,since I have the McCarty DC245 and the 513 the 594SC P90 would be a smart choice to complete the spectrum somewhat.

Man....serious GAS attack with these! Am I'm still in the honeymoon with my regular 594.

Man....serious GAS attack with these! Am I'm still in the honeymoon with my regular 594.
I feel the same way Les does about the ergonomics. Depends on if you like P-90s. I still have my 64 SG Special and was always looking for another P-90 guitar but never found one that felt and sounded right for me. The 594 platform feels perfect, from the way the webbing between my thumb and forefinger fit the curve of the neck to the scale, and on. Add in the P-90s that provide a wonderful tonal blend with both pickups chosen and small changes in the volume balance and it all comes together.

I never knew that. That's interesting!

so,since I have the McCarty DC245 and the 513 the 594SC P90 would be a smart choice to complete the spectrum somewhat.

I think you'd love it, and it'd be a great fit.

The P-90s are noisier in some rooms, of course, but to solve it you just have to face in the right direction (my room seems to change from day to day, so that direction changes!).

The thing is, the P-90s are so tasty. You've probably heard the clip I posted with mine earlier; the 594 Soapbar has its own voice, and is a great counterpoint to my McCarty, the McCarty Singlecut, and my other PRSes.

I'm really glad I got it. Couldn't be happier.

I feel the same way Les does about the ergonomics. Depends on if you like P-90s. I still have my 64 SG Special and was always looking for another P-90 guitar but never found one that felt and sounded right for me. The 594 platform feels perfect, from the way the webbing between my thumb and forefinger fit the curve of the neck to the scale, and on. Add in the P-90s that provide a wonderful tonal blend with both pickups chosen and small changes in the volume balance and it all comes together.
I have an SG with some great-sounding P90s in it. I love the sound and the SG is a pretty comfy guitar with a decently fat neck, but the 594 feels like it was made for me (which is kind of funny as I've heard that from a lot of people who try them). That neck profile is something else and the overall comfort of the design can't be beat. That's what has me thinking that the Soapbar would make a fine companion to my regular 594.

I think you'd love it, and it'd be a great fit.

The P-90s are noisier in some rooms, of course, but to solve it you just have to face in the right direction (my room seems to change from day to day, so that direction changes!).

The thing is, the P-90s are so tasty. You've probably heard the clip I posted with mine earlier; the 594 Soapbar has its own voice, and is a great counterpoint to my McCarty, the McCarty Singlecut, and my other PRSes.

I'm really glad I got it. Couldn't be happier.
Yes I did, very lovely clear tone, but it seems I have the noisiest room in the world, since the ground is not a mandatory in our electrical grid
so that needs a lot of contemplating and might end up the the HB version, will see.:confused:

Yes I did, very lovely clear tone, but it seems I have the noisiest room in the world, since the ground is not a mandatory in our electrical grid
so that needs a lot of contemplating and might end up the the HB version, will see.:confused:

Can't go wrong with the HB, either, great model.

The Soapbar gives me another distinctive voice; right now I feel I've got solid body humbucker world well covered, and I love P-90s. But there are times noise can be an inconvenience.

Since getting this thing, I've had the very odd feeling that Les' Guitar World is pretty fat and sassy, and the cake is baked with all the icing I could want.

Of course, Les' Amp World may still need a JMOD...:cool:

Last edited:
I too was wondering about the difference between split 58/15 humbuckers and the soapbar P-90 style pickups so I am glad there was some discussion on that subject. Upon first learning of this model, my first reaction was an outright rejection (to put it nicely) but I am now at least interested to learn more and give it a fair chance. Tone demos would be essentials... unless someone wants to bring one by the house for me to experience ;)

EDIT: Well Duh... here we go with the demo...

I too was wondering about the difference between split 58/15 humbuckers and the soapbar P-90 style pickups so I am glad there was some discussion on that subject. Upon first learning of this model, my first reaction was an outright rejection (to put it nicely) but I am now at least interested to learn more and give it a fair chance. Tone demos would be essentials... unless someone wants to bring one by the house for me to experience ;)

EDIT: Well Duh... here we go with the demo...

Did I hear a mention of tone demos? :)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the 594 Soapbar inspired me to write/record this little comparison instrumental, 594 Soapbar/594 Humbucker.

It starts with a rhythm part on the Soapy, then a fairly low gain Soapy melody line over that. About halfway through I bring in a 594 with humbuckers for the second melody. The idea was to compare the tone of the two guitars’ bridge pickups.

The amp was the DG30. As always, the playing is further evidence that I should stick to piano.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messya-deux-v2

Last edited:
One thing that's reeled me in on the 594 (besides the terrific sound) is the neck carve. It's like a broken-in baseball glove, it just feels really good, really "right."

Not only can one hear why the 594 has gotten such glowing reviews, one can feel why. I wish I could put into words why it feels so good, but I suppose that doesn't matter.

The point is that the combination of the feel of this thing, and the stellar tone quality, is pretty special.
Totally agree about the PV neck carve - I ordered it on my P245T PS build -fabulous with the RW neck!

Back