594 Singlecut Questions

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
Im tossing around the idea of selling my Les Paul and picking up a Singlecut 594 but would like some input from you fine folks. Unfortunately no stores near me have a Singlecut so I’m unable to play one.

Now I already have a semi hollow DC 594 so I already know I like the neck shape, frets and scale length, my main question is about ergonomics. My Les Paul sounds fantastic but its body is uncomfortable to me and reaching the high frets is pretty difficult. Is the singlecut 594 more comfortable and does it provide better upper fret access? Anyone went from a Les Paul to an SC 594 that can chime in? Thanks in advance!

I replaced my Les Paul Standard Premium Plus with a DC594, then got a SC594 later. As a long time double cutaway player I was surprised that I gravitate to the SC more often, so much so that I bought a SC Soapbar as well. Several guitars left across that acquisition process, but not a single regret so far.

I don’t do a ton of upper register playing (what my session friends used to call “up there where there’s no money”) but I don’t have issues doing the occasional Gilmour or Santana impression when required. The area of the neck joint is curved a bit at the lower side, moving some of the neck/body mass out of the way. Still, it’s a chunk of wood there, so a Wizard neck this isn’t.

I didn’t play my LP (or several before it) as a main guitar because I just didn’t enjoy it. I’ve gigged the SC a few times, and it was inspiring and fun to play. It still has some of the LP quirks, but I enjoy it quite a bit more. Now, if the CDC will let us play......

Longtime LP player and owned plenty of PRS SCs. I currently have an SC594 and an R9. The SC594 has hotter replacement pickups so I use it for the heavier stuff, the LP has Wizz PAFs. Given all of that, the PRS is definitely more comfortable and has better upper fret access but no so much that I would chose it over the LP if I needed that "sound".

I just got a 2020 594 sc a few weeks ago. Do I like it? An unqualified yes! The single coils sound fantastic. So much better than my 1998 McCarty. I have smaller hands and I find it very comfortable.
I think you will really enjoy it. I bought my online and never having played one either, no regrets.

I sold my Gibson R7 and R8 after buying my 2014 Private Stock McCarty Singlecut. I also recently bought a 2018 SC594 Soapbar. The PRS guitars are far more comfortable to play, and the upper fret access is better.

Back