594 nut slots?

GavQuinn

Hi Guys, I picked up a 594 on Saturday. (Love the guitar by the way, it does sound like a reissue LP, maybe more controlled in the bass.)

The guitar came string with 10-46 which I’ll want to swap to 10-48. The low open E and A just go sharp with my heavier attack, so a thicker gauge tends to keep the lows tight and solid.

I’ve noticed that the G string is ‘pinging’ in the nut and de-tuning sharp when I play it for a few mins. Have to keep retuning it flat and back up. Has anyone had this issue?

I’ve put a bit of 2000 grit paper in the slot with some 3 in 1 oil to loosen the slot, also added pencil graphite. So far so good.

Does anyone know - Will I need to widen the slots on the bone nut to go up a gauge?

Congrats on the 594 acquisition!

Thanks man, I’m delighted! I never got to play one before Saturday. There was a ‘58 Historic LP that I was after, I went into the local vintage and rare and they had 3 LPs I was looking at. He brought them out and I tried the ‘58 - the neck was massive and I mean HUGE, with small frets.... I was like
I was thinking ‘oh man, I dunno about this, this isn’t what I’d call easy to play’. With the giant neck combined with the small frets it reminded me of a ‘52 RI tele - there’s always loads for sale for that reason, they’re often hard to play. For that money it had to be perfect. I was almost sold on a black Custom, then he brings out the 594.

it’s so light! And the neck is much easier to play, the coil taps, etc. I was torn but I knew if I took the LP I’d regret not getting the 594.

It sounds like an LP for real, it really does. If you got a fatter bridge pickup you’d get it closer still, but I’m really enjoying these pickups. There’s enough output there, they’re plenty powerful.

Thanks man, I’m delighted! I never got to play one before Saturday. There was a ‘58 Historic LP that I was after, I went into the local vintage and rare and they had 3 LPs I was looking at. He brought them out and I tried the ‘58 - the neck was massive and I mean HUGE, with small frets.... I was like
I was thinking ‘oh man, I dunno about this, this isn’t what I’d call easy to play’. With the giant neck combined with the small frets it reminded me of a ‘52 RI tele - there’s always loads for sale for that reason, they’re often hard to play. For that money it had to be perfect. I was almost sold on a black Custom, then he brings out the 594.

it’s so light! And the neck is much easier to play, the coil taps, etc. I was torn but I knew if I took the LP I’d regret not getting the 594.

It sounds like an LP for real, it really does. If you got a fatter bridge pickup you’d get it closer still, but I’m really enjoying these pickups. There’s enough output there, they’re plenty powerful.
Nice! I know what you mean about the ‘58 LP. I had one for a minute. That neck was a baseball bat! Huge. I had two 594s at the time, and moved the LP, quickly.

Back