594 - LT Bridge pickup height

Callan

hack guitarist..
On my DC594 I find myself constantly pushing the low E string onto the Bridge pickup with the outside of my right hand. I'm leaning on the strings I guess.
I was checking the pickup height last night and noticed that the distance from pickup to string is approx. 1mm.
If I put a Jazz XL III pick between the 2, it pushed the low E string up slightly, but otherwise is stuck in there pretty snug.

Strings are 10-52 Ernie Ball - tuning is E standard.

How does this compare to your 594?
Is this how the LT pickups leave the factory?

Cheers,

Yeah that's very close. Without fretting a note, mine is 2.5mm and I haven't touched pickup height or bridge height, so it's as it left the factory.

On my DC594 I find myself constantly pushing the low E string onto the Bridge pickup with the outside of my right hand. I'm leaning on the strings I guess.
I was checking the pickup height last night and noticed that the distance from pickup to string is approx. 1mm.
If I put a Jazz XL III pick between the 2, it pushed the low E string up slightly, but otherwise is stuck in there pretty snug.

Strings are 10-52 Ernie Ball - tuning is E standard.

How does this compare to your 594?
Is this how the LT pickups leave the factory?

Cheers,

How do you find it sounds/performs like that? Does sustain drop off more than you'd like? Any worbly overtones on driven sounds? Is the neck pickup close too (so that the volume level is balance between pickups)?

Yeah that's very close. Without fretting a note, mine is 2.5mm and I haven't touched pickup height or bridge height, so it's as it left the factory.

I'll second this. Every one that I have had was this way.

Thanks all. I got the guitar new, but maybe the store tried to improve it, or somebody was trying to get more output from the pickup. I'll drop it down this weekend and see how it goes.

@Tone-y it sounds fine, expect the percussive sound when the string hits the pickup. I should be able to fix that just wanted to get a feel of what the factory spec height is so I can reset it back.

generally I have my bridge anywhere between 4mm and 1.5mm... any closer and a lot of harmonics seem to disappear. I have the neck even lower, usually adjusted so they sound balanced in the middle position

While you've got a screwdriver out, don't skip adjusting the pole pieces. Once the pickups is at a height you like, play with the poles a little to fine tune

@Tone-y it sounds fine, expect the percussive sound when the string hits the pickup. I should be able to fix that just wanted to get a feel of what the factory spec height is so I can reset it back.

I only mention as pickup heights is one of those areas that I'm constantly fiddling with on all my guitars. Too close and the magnets affect the strings to deaden the sustain and cause some overtones, too far away and using the volume control to clean up an overdriven amp doesn't seem to work anymore - the drive/volume just drops off too quickly. I do find it's single coils that are the most picky though

Back