594 intonation problems

Dondante

OK I changed to 9-40 NYXL Balanced Tension strings. I can not get this thing to intonate. A C barr chord up on the 8th fret sounds terrible.

The Low E(6) saddle is all the way back and still Several
Cents sharp.

Neck looks to be pretty straight via looking by eye.

I lowered the bridge slightly because the action was just too high.

Process:

Tune to pitch> Fret at 12 fret

Using Korg Black Tuner/pedal and also Headstock tuner give the same readings.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hoping to get a 594SC - so, I am interested in this.

Need to know more to help. What are you using to intonate (tuner) and which technique are you using?

So you have the open string in tune, then fret at the 12th and it's sharp?
Try a harmonic at the 12th, is the result the same?

I've got 10-52 EB strings on my 594 with no such problem. Is it only when you changed strings and lowered the action this started?

So you have the open string in tune, then fret at the 12th and it's sharp?
Try a harmonic at the 12th, is the result the same?

I've got 10-52 EB strings on my 594 with no such problem. Is it only when you changed strings and lowered the action this started?

The open and harmonic are dead on. Open String and harmonic at the 12th are identical.

Yes, I just purchased it from a guy who purchased it in March of this year. The action was too high and uncomfortable. So I changed strings and lowered the bridge a bit. I didn't play with it too much after I received it. The neck size and action was too uncomfortable to play.

You have a few issue I see often when folks don't do a complete set up when changing gauges of strings and the tools ( tuner ) you are using IMHO.
High action is often a result of miss set neck relief - set this first, PRS neck can be set really flat if you like, I like to see a bit of air under the strings at the 7th fret ( capo on the first fret , hold down string at the last fret )

Next set the bridge height to PRS specs to start.

Now to the intonation

With 9s its easy to press ( fret ) to hard and push the strings sharp. also doing intonation with a stomp-box tuner is a crap shoot they are often not accurate enough to do it 100% unless you have great ears.

set the saddles to a more middle position to start ( some guitars intonate in unusual spots ) don't be afraid to try the whole travel of the saddle

Tune to pitch then check the harmonic see where your at then fret the 12th fret note ( VERY LIGHTLY ) after every adjustment ( go slow ) retune to pitch go back and forth until it comes in
as far as the hole guitar being out of intonation most folks just fret too hard on light gauge strings ( I know I do )

Also if you want to do your own work invest in a better tuner or a full strobe tuner you will have better results

Best of luck

I have two 594s; there have been no intonation problems with intonation with any strings. I’ll bet you can sort it out if you keep at it.

Neck is dead straight via my straight edge SM tool .

Pressing lightly.

Tuners worked fine on my other setups etc .

I've corrected issues/set up two PRS tremelo models(thanks for the help and guidance from members here.) This one is juat being a real pain.

If your Low E saddle is all the way back and still a hair sharp, you may have to pull it apart and trim a coil or two from the spring around the adjustment screw. I've had to do this on several guitars. It allows the block to pull back that one red c hair enough to get the string intonated properly.

I struggled with this on a 594 after a string change as well. I fiddled with it for a week, and finally decided to put another set of strings on. Problem gone. Weird, but that was all it took, for me.

Last edited:
I don't want to have to admit this, but the 1st time I put new strings on, the intonation was just awful. From the 9th fret up, the intonation just got worse and worse on every string. After trying to tweak the intonation myself, I just gave up and took it to a shop. Problem was that I put the bridge on backwards when I replace the strings (duh):eek:. On the 594, this can happen so beware .................

If you've not done a set up before, take it to a luthier and have it done. It may have been bollocksed up by the previous owner, and you're trying to fix a bunch of things. The neck is not dead straight on any of my guitars, after 50+ years of playing. I started playing PRS because of the superior intonation. How does the nut look? Is there any chance the previous owner did something really stupid and ruined it? I'd be dumbfounded if it was the guitar.

I wish I could help. I take all of my guitars to a dude that keeps them tip top.

Reactions: CVS
Maybe a photo or two to show us your bridge set up?

I don't want to have to admit this, but the 1st time I put new strings on, the intonation was just awful. From the 9th fret up, the intonation just got worse and worse on every string. After trying to tweak the intonation myself, I just gave up and took it to a shop. Problem was that I put the bridge on backwards when I replace the strings (duh):eek:. On the 594, this can happen so beware .................
This is why I change strings one at a time - everything stays where it should.

It also probably helps keep the neck tensioned.

Maybe a photo or two to show us your bridge set up?

This is why I change strings one at a time - everything stays where it should.

It also probably helps keep the neck tensioned.
Not a bad idea, but I am old and I would probably forget which strings I changed and which strings still need changing;)
I have all my guitars and the date that I last changed the strings on an Xcell worksheet. I know there are folks out there that change strings once a week, but I am not one of them.

Back