594 Hollowbody II vs Special Semi-hollow?

telebuck

Hi all,
I’m currently torn between these two models. Looking for something that gives the classic double humbucker tones, but with some versatility. For those who have played both, how would you compare them?
Thanks,
Ray

I have and love both, but if I had to choose, I’d pick the SSH all day long. My favorite PRS overall, and a super versatile guitar. It’s like a Swiss Army knife and does so much well.

Disclaimer: I don’t have an SSH.

I just wanted to say I’ve recently purchased a 594 HB II, and spent last weekend jamming with the band on everything from Billy Idol to ZZ Top to Patty Loveless and Eddie Rabbit around to John Mellencamp and Cream, then back to George Strait and Ted Nugent. I’m confident there isn’t anything it can’t do.

The SSH may be, and likely is, a super axe. You’ll have to check that with others. I can confirm the 594 HB II is an all-around monster guitar. Looks like you’re in a win-win situation.

Thanks everyone. I'ts definitely a win-win situation. I already have a 509, which is another swiss army style guitar, so looking for something that does the vintage humbucker sounds the best. Also have a Silver Sky, so have single coil and in-between sounds pretty well covered. Leaning towards the 594 Hollowbody for those reasons (Johnp's classic rock jam is kind of what I have in mind), and also like that its a hollowbody. The Special, on the other hand is appealing to me for its approximation of Mayer's unobtanium Dead&Co guitar.

Back