594 hollowbody II vs es335 vs cu24

Austin_Taunt

Hello!!

I have a Gibson custom shop 59 es335. It’s a fantastic sounding guitar that plays great but the neck is just slightly too big for me. I posted it for trade in another forum for a gorgeous PRS like a WL custom 24, and was offered a 594 hollowbody II. I don’t know much about this model and there aren’t any close for me to try.

Does anyone here have experience with both and can tell me how they compare? I know they will be different but will the 594 put me in the same ballpark as the 335 or will it be completely its own thing ?

While I’m here, how great is the Custom 24? I know it’s the flagship model for PRS and nothing like the 594 and 335. It would actually fill a need for me with the band live where the 335/594 is a home guitar that is fun. Im still considering holding out for someone to offer a great cu24 bc I do love PRS. My #1 is a 513 and the only thing I wish was different was it had the pattern thin neck but it’s still phenomenal as is.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello!!

I have a Gibson custom shop 59 es335. It’s a fantastic sounding guitar that plays great but the neck is just slightly too big for me. I posted it for trade in another forum for a gorgeous PRS like a WL custom 24, and was offered a 594 hollowbody II. I don’t know much about this model and there aren’t any close for me to try.

Does anyone here have experience with both and can tell me how they compare? I know they will be different but will the 594 put me in the same ballpark as the 335 or will it be completely its own thing ?

While I’m here, how great is the Custom 24? I know it’s the flagship model for PRS and nothing like the 594 and 335. It would actually fill a need for me with the band live where the 335/594 is a home guitar that is fun. Im still considering holding out for someone to offer a great cu24 bc I do love PRS. My #1 is a 513 and the only thing I wish was different was it had the pattern thin neck but it’s still phenomenal as is.

Personally, I have the 594 HBii and think its the 'closest' PRS offers to a Gibson 335 - either that or the HBii as both are quite similar in terms of sound - the main difference being the option to 'split' with independent Tone/volume controls or a Piezo. Of course they do feel different thanks to a different scale (24.594 vs 25"), Different Bridge (ToM style vs Wrap around) and different Neck Carve (Vintage vs Pattern).

Any guitar can be said to be 'its own thing' - certainly if it doesn't 'sound' exactly the same (A Silver Sky can be seen as its own thing to someone and just another S-type that could replace a Fender Strat to someone else) so I don't know how you'd feel - whether its 'close' enough or not close enough but I don't feel I need a 335 now I have PRS Hollowbody guitars.

As for whether or not you'll be OK with the neck, the Vintage carve isn't a 'skinny' neck. If you can try a 594 - even a Solid body as they share the same neck, you'll know if its too 'big' for you. Necks are personal and really up to you to decide if it works for you or not. The 'shape' of the neck itself is only a 'part' of it feels - action, shoulders, edges, string spacing etc all contribute to feeling 'big/small' in your hands so its always worth trying if its a concern first - especially if you can't easily return it if its not to your liking.

As for a Custom 24, these are quite different beasts - much more 'modern' in sound and the extra 2 frets pushes the 'neck' HB closer to the bridge so sounds quite different from an equivalent 22 fret guitar. The 594 HB is much more like a Vintage 335 so I doubt the Cu24 would be a 'good' replacement for a 335 at all - not unless you wanted to sound 'different'. Its become its 'own' thing - not a Gibson LP or Fender Strat but its own thing not inspired by 'vintage/classic' instruments from the 50's.

I personally don't chase 'specific' tones so I'd happily use a Cu24 to play ANY song - regardless of the instrument a famous song was recorded. Its just a 'different' flavour and the Audience only cares about the 'notes', the Melody, the 'complete' song so as long as you play in time and in tune, the rest is more about 'you', what you feel comfortable with, what you are 'happy' with etc. If a Cu24 feels the 'most comfortable' for you and you are happy with the way it sounds, your Audience won't care its not a 335 or sound like a 335...

Personally, I have the 594 HBii and think its the 'closest' PRS offers to a Gibson 335 - either that or the HBii as both are quite similar in terms of sound - the main difference being the option to 'split' with independent Tone/volume controls or a Piezo. Of course they do feel different thanks to a different scale (24.594 vs 25"), Different Bridge (ToM style vs Wrap around) and different Neck Carve (Vintage vs Pattern).

Any guitar can be said to be 'its own thing' - certainly if it doesn't 'sound' exactly the same (A Silver Sky can be seen as its own thing to someone and just another S-type that could replace a Fender Strat to someone else) so I don't know how you'd feel - whether its 'close' enough or not close enough but I don't feel I need a 335 now I have PRS Hollowbody guitars.

As for whether or not you'll be OK with the neck, the Vintage carve isn't a 'skinny' neck. If you can try a 594 - even a Solid body as they share the same neck, you'll know if its too 'big' for you. Necks are personal and really up to you to decide if it works for you or not. The 'shape' of the neck itself is only a 'part' of it feels - action, shoulders, edges, string spacing etc all contribute to feeling 'big/small' in your hands so its always worth trying if its a concern first - especially if you can't easily return it if its not to your liking.

As for a Custom 24, these are quite different beasts - much more 'modern' in sound and the extra 2 frets pushes the 'neck' HB closer to the bridge so sounds quite different from an equivalent 22 fret guitar. The 594 HB is much more like a Vintage 335 so I doubt the Cu24 would be a 'good' replacement for a 335 at all - not unless you wanted to sound 'different'. Its become its 'own' thing - not a Gibson LP or Fender Strat but its own thing not inspired by 'vintage/classic' instruments from the 50's.

I personally don't chase 'specific' tones so I'd happily use a Cu24 to play ANY song - regardless of the instrument a famous song was recorded. Its just a 'different' flavour and the Audience only cares about the 'notes', the Melody, the 'complete' song so as long as you play in time and in tune, the rest is more about 'you', what you feel comfortable with, what you are 'happy' with etc. If a Cu24 feels the 'most comfortable' for you and you are happy with the way it sounds, your Audience won't care its not a 335 or sound like a 335...
Thank you for your response!!

I don’t chase tones much either in my cover band. With the 513 it allows me to use humbuckers and single coils when needed. If the artist was using a strat through a fender amp I just put it in single coil mode and switch to my clean channel. It’s good enough for me.

The part about the custom 24 should really be its own thread. I know it’s nothing like a 335. I’m just considering getting a custom 24 bc it would serve me live over using a HBII/335 just at home. I’m really digging the new DW hardtail ce24 specs but some of these wood library and artist cu24s are so gorgeous it’s hard to say no.

Thank you for answering the part about the 594 HB vs 335. I was hoping that it would be close enough to replace the 335 just fine. More guitars I play the more I’m finding out I’m a PRS guy. I love the tone of some of these classic designs but it just seems like they aren’t as comfortable to play as PRS…or as pretty.

Not sure about your hands, but the 594’s Pattern Vintage neck is very comfortable while still being a larger profile. It doesn’t feel large, but IMO you don’t want a thin neck on a hollowbody guitar. Too much dampening. A great axe for sure.

Not sure about your hands, but the 594’s Pattern Vintage neck is very comfortable while still being a larger profile. It doesn’t feel large, but IMO you don’t want a thin neck on a hollowbody guitar. Too much dampening. A great axe for sure.
I’m definitely ok with trying the pattern vintage neck. I find I have preferences that generally work but ultimately each one is different. My LP custom has a 59 neck and I can play it for an entire show. I can play this 59 es335 for about a hour and then my hand starts to fatigue. My 513 feels bigger than the 335 but I have no issue and it’s my favorite guitar. On the other side I have a Charvel and a Tom Anderson with super skinny necks and I love them even more. It’s fun to search

I’m definitely ok with trying the pattern vintage neck. I find I have preferences that generally work but ultimately each one is different. My LP custom has a 59 neck and I can play it for an entire show. I can play this 59 es335 for about a hour and then my hand starts to fatigue. My 513 feels bigger than the 335 but I have no issue and it’s my favorite guitar. On the other side I have a Charvel and a Tom Anderson with super skinny necks and I love them even more. It’s fun to search

I love the Pattern Vintage neck carve - if I had to describe it, it feels like its been 'broken in' and played for years - the carve just fits your hand anywhere on the neck like its 'worn' in to the way people play over years so doesn't 'feel' thick or like new guitars that are symmetrical...

It's just a 'comfortable' neck - so much so that I don't think about it - it just feels 'right' on the guitar...

Not to say the others aren't great - I have two Custom 24's (Regular and Floyd) with Pattern Thin (and I don't usually like 'thin' necks as my hand aches after a while or cramps more, but these are perfectly playable to me. 2 594's (Solid DC and HBii) with the Pattern Vintage, a Ltd Edition Special S-H & HBii, both with 'Pattern' necks and also a 509, with its Pattern 'regular' neck -same as the 513, so I have an example of all 'Pattern' necks and they are ALL playable to me and I don't really think about the 'neck' when switching between them - sometimes its more of a struggle to remember where switches/knobs/blades than how different the necks are LOL

All I can say is that a 594 HBii is a Fantastic Guitar with a great feeling neck to 'me' and would certainly use it to do what you may associate with a 335 but in a smaller body size. I don't feel the need to add a 335 as I believe either Hollowbody fills that pocket so to speak. It maybe worth it to you, maybe not - only you can decide, but this is mine...

w4FlaEY.jpg

ESAMPvu.jpg

As for Cu24, its like going from Led Zeppelin to Linkin Park - they are 'different' eras and the 594 is a 'Vintage' inspired instrument not a modern 24fret, different sounding guitar and the Hollowbody version is the same. Both should exist in your collection because they are quite different - the only thing they have in common is the silhouette and PRS made them - different ends of a spectrum...

If you like the HBii you are being offered in trade, it would certainly cover the same sort of territory as a 335 but with added Split Coil options too and a familiar 'LP' like layout too so should feel familiar so could be a good trade for you 'IF' you prefer it...

Then think about what you can do to add a Cu24 to your collection too.... LOL

Last edited:
Hello!!

I have an ES-335, multiple 594 HBIIs, a HB Spruce, and a Archtop. The construction method leads to a different sound but not wildly different. One of the things that's a bigger difference for me is the body shape which leads to a different playing experience. The 594 HB wins big for me there. I also find the 594 to be more resistant to feedback so a little more controllable.

The 594 HB is a special guitar that can cover a lot of bases. I'd struggle to find any faults with mine. Definitely a worthy alternative.

I think you will find the 59 neck and the Pattern Vintage to be pretty similar size wise. The 60s neck of a 335 is closer to the Pattern Thin that is found on most CU24. If it was ME I would look for a HB1 or 2 over a 594 and if the CU24 has a Pattern Reg neck go that route :)

Back