594 HBII search is over, incoming NGD...

I'm not a fan of green... But after seeing such a spectacular finish on that guitar... I may be changing my,,, my,, my, mind. o_O
The waves are so deep, I'd swear there's fish in there somewhere. :cool::D:cool:
Absolutely stunning.

ARRIVED!

Everything arrived safely. I played it a little bit, just to make sure everything operated. Here are my first impressions:

Form fit (non-rectangular) case with the most latches I have seen on a single case (6!). It wasn't going to fall out! The case reminded me of the leather edged cases of the 50s, and looks plenty strong. It is similar in shape and appearance to the HB I case.

Open the case lid, and wow... better looking than the photos. In person, the wood has a 3D look to it, almost holographic in the grain. I'm not sure if this is normal in a Trampas Green finish, but the wood shows gold and blue hues, in addition to the varying green colors, as you move it in the sunlight. I'm really impressed with the finish work. The blackburst wraps the edge, so no middle wood or maple edges show. I normally love seeing the edge binding, but this looks really nice (actually better) without it. Now, I pick it up, and it is delightfully light. Maybe just a hair heavier than my Hollowbody I, it is night and day lighter than a solidbody 594 (as you'd expect). Very balanced and not at all neck-heavy, as some hollow bodied guitars can be. The neck feels just like the other 594s, and fills the hand perfectly. The guitar just screams "well made" from every angle.

On tuneup and inspection, I found two issues. The neck tone pot was loose. Really loose. Like move-the-nut-with-your-finger loose. I got out a wrench and got that snugged back down. On first play, I heard the dreaded "ping!" in the G string as I tuned. Unfortunately, it was right at the pitch point, because bending the string would make it ping both ways. I got out the infamous "Big Bends Nut Sauce" and added a touch under the string, which solved the issue. Neither was a major deal, but both should have been caught at PRS QA and at the dealer. I'll pass that info back.

So, with the very minor niggles above addressed, I settled in to play. Setup is good for me, as I am not a low-action guy and a middling sort of height suits me. Once I play it in a bit, I'll change the strings out to the Elixir 10s I prefer, but the PRS strings on it sound ok and the intonation is perfect. The acoustic tone is really nice and balanced, and you can feel the top vibrating. I like that. Man, it is easy to get around on. Playing while seated, the guitar feels marginally thicker than the standard 594, although I don't know that it actually is. Maybe I'm just noticing the carve more because of the F-holes. I'll add some strap locks and try it standing in a bit.

I give it a brief go through the HXDA and Mesa California Tweed, and it sounds very nice, with a ton of tone options via the selector and push-pull pots. I'll need to set the amps up for this one, as it sounds distinctly different than the HB I with the Archtop pickups. I should have saved my 594 settings... oh well, half the fun is experimenting. I'll spend some time with it to get the best sounds. It does still have that 594 thing, but it doesn't sound exactly like it. There's something about it that's hard to describe... like it has breath to it. I'll work on a better explanation of that once I play it long enough to get familiar with the sound. The HB I also has that thing, whatever it is. And I do like it, as it sounds nearly vocal.

I'm still playing it like it belongs to someone else, trying not to leave a mark. NGS- New Guitar Syndrome. Once I just start playing it, I have a feeling we are going to have some fun here! It is clearly a masterfully built, incredibly well finished, and (apart from a couple of small issues) perfectly set up instrument. I am quite happy with the new family member!

That's all for now.

Awesome Rick! I love my HBII! And that is killer that it is "born" on your birthday!!! I have actually been searching for guitars that were built on my birthday this year. I have acquired one (my Violet Blue Burst CU24). I have another on layaway that I am paying off, a PS CU24!!! I did not "need" either of these guitars, but when I started seeing stuff with my birthday on it, and I thought about how special this years birthday was for me (long stories), I had to have them. I have located 4 in total this year with my birthdate on the hangtag or headstock, but don't really care for the other two I have found.

Anyway, congratulations and happy pickin'. I must say, I sometimes reach for the HBII over the CU24 at times because of it's lightness. Especially if I am just noodling and not trying to get a specific sound.

Cheers~

ARRIVED!

Everything arrived safely. I played it a little bit, just to make sure everything operated. Here are my first impressions:

Form fit (non-rectangular) case with the most latches I have seen on a single case (6!). It wasn't going to fall out! The case reminded me of the leather edged cases of the 50s, and looks plenty strong. It is similar in shape and appearance to the HB I case.

Open the case lid, and wow... better looking than the photos. In person, the wood has a 3D look to it, almost holographic in the grain. I'm not sure if this is normal in a Trampas Green finish, but the wood shows gold and blue hues, in addition to the varying green colors, as you move it in the sunlight. I'm really impressed with the finish work. The blackburst wraps the edge, so no middle wood or maple edges show. I normally love seeing the edge binding, but this looks really nice (actually better) without it. Now, I pick it up, and it is delightfully light. Maybe just a hair heavier than my Hollowbody I, it is night and day lighter than a solidbody 594 (as you'd expect). Very balanced and not at all neck-heavy, as some hollow bodied guitars can be. The neck feels just like the other 594s, and fills the hand perfectly. The guitar just screams "well made" from every angle.

On tuneup and inspection, I found two issues. The neck tone pot was loose. Really loose. Like move-the-nut-with-your-finger loose. I got out a wrench and got that snugged back down. On first play, I heard the dreaded "ping!" in the G string as I tuned. Unfortunately, it was right at the pitch point, because bending the string would make it ping both ways. I got out the infamous "Big Bends Nut Sauce" and added a touch under the string, which solved the issue. Neither was a major deal, but both should have been caught at PRS QA and at the dealer. I'll pass that info back.

So, with the very minor niggles above addressed, I settled in to play. Setup is good for me, as I am not a low-action guy and a middling sort of height suits me. Once I play it in a bit, I'll change the strings out to the Elixir 10s I prefer, but the PRS strings on it sound ok and the intonation is perfect. The acoustic tone is really nice and balanced, and you can feel the top vibrating. I like that. Man, it is easy to get around on. Playing while seated, the guitar feels marginally thicker than the standard 594, although I don't know that it actually is. Maybe I'm just noticing the carve more because of the F-holes. I'll add some strap locks and try it standing in a bit.

I give it a brief go through the HXDA and Mesa California Tweed, and it sounds very nice, with a ton of tone options via the selector and push-pull pots. I'll need to set the amps up for this one, as it sounds distinctly different than the HB I with the Archtop pickups. I should have saved my 594 settings... oh well, half the fun is experimenting. I'll spend some time with it to get the best sounds. It does still have that 594 thing, but it doesn't sound exactly like it. There's something about it that's hard to describe... like it has breath to it. I'll work on a better explanation of that once I play it long enough to get familiar with the sound. The HB I also has that thing, whatever it is. And I do like it, as it sounds nearly vocal.

I'm still playing it like it belongs to someone else, trying not to leave a mark. NGS- New Guitar Syndrome. Once I just start playing it, I have a feeling we are going to have some fun here! It is clearly a masterfully built, incredibly well finished, and (apart from a couple of small issues) perfectly set up instrument. I am quite happy with the new family member!

That's all for now.

Awesome Rick! I love my HBII! And that is killer that it is "born" on your birthday!!! I have actually been searching for guitars that were built on my birthday this year. I have acquired one (my Violet Blue Burst CU24). I have another on layaway that I am paying off, a PS CU24!!! I did not "need" either of these guitars, but when I started seeing stuff with my birthday on it, and I thought about how special this years birthday was for me (long stories), I had to have them. I have located 4 in total this year with my birthdate on the hangtag or headstock, but don't really care for the other two I have found.

Anyway, congratulations and happy pickin'. I must say, I sometimes reach for the HBII over the CU24 at times because of it's lightness. Especially if I am just noodling and not trying to get a specific sound.

Cheers~
Oh yeah, I understand that. It was really cool. Just an added bonding point that probably doesn’t matter in any real sense, but still has the cool factor for me!

I really never got along with hollowbody guitars, to be honest. The HB I spruce top was the first one I really took to and it’s become my most played recently. It inspired this purchase. It was starting to get uncomfortable on occasion playing a whole night standing with my regular guitars, with some lower back twinges here and there. No problems at all with the hollowbody, so I might be a HB player (at least gigging) from now on. Without the feedback issues of other semi or full hollow body guitars, the PRS instruments really stand out to me.

Came back for another look. Brilliant.
My 594 soapbar is Trampas green as well, but dayum... the burst just brings the colours out in an amazing fashion.
Killer!

Two Days In Report:

I’ve been playing the new guitar exclusively for the last few days, almost all without amplification. Over the years, I’ve discovered that a guitar that doesn’t sound good acoustically, even a solidbody, doesn’t sound good amplified either. While I could somewhat tame too-much-ness with amp controls, I could never fix ain’t-there-ness. I am very happy to report that this guitar “has it” in the acoustic response category. Resonant, full, airy, and even. And the top does, indeed, contribute! I tried the “forearm on and off the top” thing PRSh does on acoustics, and it very noticeably alters the tone. Impressive!

I know I’m still in the wild honeymoon stages with this guitar, but I’ve seriously already considered selling a few things to get a second. I’m enjoying it that much, and I alway gig with two guitars anyway. I’ll wait on that, but how cool is it to even think it early on? I have just been wailing on the strings, having gotten over New Guitar Syndrome after the first few hours, and it stays perfectly in tune. I haven’t tuned it since the strings settled in on Day 1. I just love, love, love a guitar that stays in tune! There comes a point with a great guitar where you just start playing and forget about the guitar, and that’s what I’m finding with this one.

I’ll move on to amps in a day or two, but wanted to report I am totally digging the guitar itself. I’ve had new guitars that I didn’t like, I’ve returned new guitars that didn’t cut the mustard, I’ve had guitars that took a while to gain a place and use. All of that is disheartening when you’re excited about a new addition. This guitar is firing on all cylinders from “hello” and has provided one of the best, most musically enjoyable new guitar experiences I’ve had yet.

Back