594: GOTM vs. other PS

You can order a spec-made guitar, but what good are specs when you don't 'click' w/ a guitar? That's happened to me on several occasions.

See my post about buying from dealer stock to make sure you actually do click with a guitar. ;)

See my post about buying from dealer stock to make sure you actually do click with a guitar. ;)

haha yes i don't think it's any divine insight that trying before buying is the ideal approach. unfortunately not possible all the time :(

haha yes i don't think it's any divine insight that trying before buying is the ideal approach. unfortunately not possible all the time :(

My take is this: If you gel with PRS guitars in general, the PS program is your chance to get all the little details right (for me: neck shape, fb radius, fret size and tuners). If you are on the fence, PS is quite possibly the wrong approach. Best of luck on your journey, Phil

Much of what has been said is spot on. Private Stock instruments are very special indeed, and it may just break your cycle of the 6 month turn around. I would say that for me, part of spec'ing out my own build is just the experience of it and having the memories of taking part in the creation of a unique piece of art. If you are very particular with features, then it's also great to be able to get exactly what you want. (I'm not particular at all, so that's not of much interest to me. If it has any number of strings and I can plug it into a high gain amp, I'm interested. :))

All of that aside, my thoughts for you are that if you usually have a quick turn around, I would get a nice "pre-owned" Private Stock. You will lose thousands less if and when you resell it. You get to experiment with someone else's guitar vision, which can be quite serendipitous. There are people, both consumers and dealers, that have been spec'ing out these Private Stocks since the program began, and they will know better the breadth of available features. Also, you have plenty of time to look for the right one, since if you spec out your own you will be waiting many months for the build time, anyway. I wouldn't get a GOTM or any other special build unless it was absolutely right for me, as I don't think the depreciation is much less, if at all.

Back