594 GAS/tuners

awesome! I was under the impression that S2 and core were different by metric/imperial BS. Good to know!

The modern Kluson style keys work great. PRS use Gotoh for their other Core tuners, so I am confident that's what they use for the vintage style keys, too.

I love the locking tuners, though. That combined with the two-piece bridge makes for the quickest, easiest string changes ever.

For non-lockers, I've used this method for a long time and it works very well and is still pretty quick:

Nope...the vintage tuners installed on Core and Wood Library are made by Korean supplier HanChang, who happen to also make the vintage tuners for the SEs. I have removed and examined the Core non-locking vintage tuners. There is no substantial difference with the SE version, other than cost...PRS sells them for $205. More to the point, they replaced robust adjustable locking tuners with non-adjustable, non-locking tuners. They basically saved $100 or more per guitar while selling it as more "vintage".

There’s quite a big difference actually. I believe they have brass inserts that Paul claims sounds better (never had ability to compare, doubt my ears could notice a difference). Their ability to maintain tone is phenomenal. These non lockers that come on 594 (s2 and above) are substantially better than cheaper SE models. Are they import made? Yes. I think all their tuners are made overseas actually.

Back