594 GAS/tuners

If you know how to wrap the string around the post properly, tuning stability isn't the issue. Tuning instability is caused because something either moves when it shouldn't or sticks/binds so doesn't return to position. If the strings are overlapping on the post, there is a possibility of moving and therefore affect tuning stability - it isn't the tuners that move...

The advantage of locking tuners is mostly ease and speed of changing strings. They can help with tuning stability because you don't have the strings wrapping around the post and overlapping which is where tuning instability occurs - of course if you know how to wrap, that advantage is non-existent as mentioned above.

As someone with a 2016 PRS 594 (as well as all my other PRS guitars) that have the Phase III locking tuners, I have NEVER thought they were 'heavy' and whilst I can't compare the tonal difference that these have compared to the Vintage tuners, I would still prefer locking tuners as standard on ALL guitars for the ease, speed and convenience of string changes. Locking tuners is the one thing that I see everyone asking for with the SE's - so much so that PRS has now brought out there own locking tuners for SE's. Its considered an 'upgrade'. Vintage tuners to me is a downgrade regardless of how PRS (or others) may view it.

IF I were to buy a new 594 - I am GASsing for a 594 Hollowbody ii - I will look to upgrade the tuners to locking tuners and would sacrifice any (if I can actually detect) any tonal degradation - at most I expect it to sound very slightly different but not worse but depends on what tuners I can get that fit PRS and hopefully the existing screw holes of those hideous and cheap looking vintage tuners. The Phase III's have been used across the core range for years without any complaints (as far as I know) and I expect EVERY guitar over $1k to come with locking tuners as standard.

Whilst it is disappointing to see this change - especially from PRS who are progressive - I would still buy a McCarty but would have to upgrade the tuners. Does anyone know if there are any suitable alternatives that would fit a PRS without having to drill more holes???

I put the vintage locking tuners from John Mann on my 2009 McSoaporina. Zero modifications needed.

I've owned this SC and this thing has never, ever, lost stability in tuning. In fact I re-tune it less often than my current ME Quatro which equipped with Phase III lockers, to be honest...

I can't compare the tonal difference between vintage and Phase III as they are on different guitars, let alone the weight, hahaha. I can only say both guitars sound good and also resonate well.

I have no idea what's the real reason behind this change, but pretty sure it's not about weight nor tuning stability as I've proved both by myself. I tend to believe it's all about tone. This brave change must have some solid reasons supporting it. Maybe it has something to do with new TCI-tuned electronics, who knows... Please say something uncle Paul!!:D

And for me, if I had to choose a 594 I'll be fine with any type of tuners said above.

kC927Kf.jpg
Beautiful , work of art.

I'm very torn. I bought an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline and I love it. LOVE it. It's probaly the lightest guitar I own, even lighter than the CE24 Semi-Hollow I normally play. Tuning stability is excellent as it is, and I don't exactly overwind the string or anything. It's like PRS made an SG with its thin body, the toggle with the knobs, and the incredibly light weight, but without any of the SG's drawbacks like neck dive and tuning issues.

I love locking tuners, so I've been tempted. I LOVE the bright white tuner buttons and brass winding posts on the stock ones, so the only way to go to locking tuners and keep that look is to buy PRS-branded ones for $220. Gotoh's normal vintage style have aged buttons and a single metal coating (nickel, gold, etc). So I've decided that changing strings once in a while is not a big deal. LOL

Interesting to note, though, that I got a replacement thumbscrew with it even though there are no locking tuners. That's a little weird, right?
I received a locking tuner thumbscrew and a Tremolo bar with my new S2 594. teasing me too much and I ended up installing locking tuners on it.

I have both a 2019 594 with the locking III tuners and a 2020 594 with the non-locking tuners and I don't see any difference in terms of tuning stability between the two. I'd say the non-locking may actually be more stable, but if it is, its a tiny difference.

Do you find the Phase III tuners to be smoother turning than the non-locking tuners? Is it easier to make tiny changes in pitch?

I put the vintage locking tuners from John Mann on my 2009 McSoaporina. Zero modifications needed.
I have a set of phase 3 tuners here are they a direct replacement for my 2002 mc rosie could anyone advise please

I have a set of phase 3 tuners here are they a direct replacement for my 2002 mc rosie could anyone advise please
I think the collar inserts are narrower in diameter. You can take them out and install the collars for the Phase III

I think it may have been mentioned in this video (if not Shawn posted it in a thread) that it was due to the weight. The vintage style being lighter and adding something to the tone. But, I'm with you, I'd rather have the lockers (because I'm lazy!).

I love locking tuners also.... I also lazy, they make sting changes fast. I wish my acoustics has locking tuners.

I just ordered a set of the new PRS Vintage Style Locking tuners from a dealer for my 2020 SC. Glad to see PRS is taking the feedback on board and giving us what we want. Steep at 219 a set but for me it will be worth it, I'll take quick strong changes anyway.

I broke down and bought the locking tuners for my S2 594 Thinline. They're very nice, but tight to turn. Tighter than the stock ones, but that's OK. Tuning stability was fine before, and this was just to sate my obsession with locking tuners. LOL

I broke down and bought the locking tuners for my S2 594 Thinline. They're very nice, but tight to turn. Tighter than the stock ones, but that's OK. Tuning stability was fine before, and this was just to sate my obsession with locking tuners. LOL
I found the same thing, super tight, but I hate non locking tuners so I'm glad I have them

which brand did you guys decide on for your s2 locking tuners?

Damn. If/when I do add a McCarty: it may be worthwhile shipping them to John Mann to work his magic and upgrade them for 1/3 of that price.

and then dumb question: it's the same vintage style tuners for core and S2? No difference? So phase 3 would be a direct drop in even on an S2?

and then dumb question: it's the same vintage style tuners for core and S2? No difference? So phase 3 would be a direct drop in even on an S2?
I've have a core 2020 594 and had an s2 which I sold, the tuners looked and felt identical to me.

Back