594 double or single cut.

There is no way I would buy a core model and not gig it. If it played and sounded better than my S2 I would be compelled to take it out. The gig experience is everything to me as I rarely do any recording and I would not be satisfied to just play it at home. It would not make for a happy night out as I'd probably spend all non-playing time standing in front of it. With a pointy stick.

There is no way I would buy a core model and not gig it. If it played and sounded better than my S2 I would be compelled to take it out. The gig experience is everything to me as I rarely do any recording and I would not be satisfied to just play it at home. It would not make for a happy night out as I'd probably spend all non-playing time standing in front of it. With a pointy stick.

Well that kind of answers your question then doesn't it? If you aren't 'happy' to gig a 'Core' model and you don't want a guitar you can't gig with, then it doesn't make sense to buy a Core model - whether its 'better' or just 'different' tonally to what you currently have. You may as well wait to see if PRS offer the 594 in their S2 or even SE ranges...

Well that kind of answers your question then doesn't it? If you aren't 'happy' to gig a 'Core' model and you don't want a guitar you can't gig with, then it doesn't make sense to buy a Core model - whether its 'better' or just 'different' tonally to what you currently have. You may as well wait to see if PRS offer the 594 in their S2 or even SE ranges...

You're absolutely right but, levity aside, if I had a 594 I would gig it and teach myself to stop worrying about it. I'm not bothered by dings and scratches - our singer took a nick out of the headstock of my S2 at it's first gig when he was flailing around with his tambourine. My old SG looks like it's crossed swords with a combine harvester. One remaining point which I will post seperately.

Last edited:
Based on all your responses the main differences between a DC and an SC appear to be: DC - better upper fret access, SC - a little more oomph. Having spent a lot of time playing an SG and a Firebird the DC appeals for those high frets. Listening to this I think the DC would have more than enough low-end thump for my purposes.

You're absolutely right but, levity aside, if I had a 594 I would gig it and teach myself to stop worrying about it. I'm not bothered by dings and scratches - our singer too a nick out of the headstock of my S2 at it's first gig when he was flailing around with his tambourine. My old SG looks like it's crossed swords with a combine harvester. One remaining point which I will post seperately.

If you are happy to gig a core, then I think the 594 is a fantastic guitar. I am sure I don't have to tell you its specs and 'inspiration' but I do think the Vintage neck carve is just awesome. It feels 'worn in', like its been played for years. I know some people really worry about 'marks' and there are some that think the marks tell the story of that guitar. I don't like 'relic' because that is artificially making the guitar appear as if it has had a long and well used life but I don't have an issue with guitars that have acquired the marks through its journey and usage.

Based on all your responses the main differences between a DC and an SC appear to be: DC - better upper fret access, SC - a little more oomph. Having spent a lot of time playing an SG and a Firebird the DC appeals for those high frets. Listening to this I think the DC would have more than enough low-end thump for my purposes.

Personally I found the differences in sound to be minimal - especially in a blind test. I expected the SC to have a bit more 'substance' because of the extra wood and weight which may have made me 'hear' differences when I was looking at them but in a blind test, I couldn't hear a significant difference. The difference is no more than I would expect by picking up 2 of the same model/shape etc of guitar. I am sure you could adjust the Amp EQ to offset these - maybe put a fraction more bass or don't scoop out quite so much mid for example.

There is something special about the 594 for me. It maybe because I loved the classic rock that was generally played on old Gibson Les Pauls and I started out with Les Pauls (a 70's Epiphone Les Paul Custom). It's got the tones that I just love...

If you are happy to gig a core, then I think the 594 is a fantastic guitar. I am sure I don't have to tell you its specs and 'inspiration' but I do think the Vintage neck carve is just awesome. It feels 'worn in', like its been played for years. I know some people really worry about 'marks' and there are some that think the marks tell the story of that guitar. I don't like 'relic' because that is artificially making the guitar appear as if it has had a long and well used life but I don't have an issue with guitars that have acquired the marks through its journey and usage.

Personally I found the differences in sound to be minimal - especially in a blind test. I expected the SC to have a bit more 'substance' because of the extra wood and weight which may have made me 'hear' differences when I was looking at them but in a blind test, I couldn't hear a significant difference. The difference is no more than I would expect by picking up 2 of the same model/shape etc of guitar. I am sure you could adjust the Amp EQ to offset these - maybe put a fraction more bass or don't scoop out quite so much mid for example.

There is something special about the 594 for me. It maybe because I loved the classic rock that was generally played on old Gibson Les Pauls and I started out with Les Pauls (a 70's Epiphone Les Paul Custom). It's got the tones that I just love...

^^^This^^^ :)

Could I offer this?

More mass in a SC means that the string's energy transferal will be more readily absorbed into the body and cause a difference in resonance.

You may or may not here a difference, due to a number of variables. For example, lighter weight mahogany vs heavier weighted mahogany. How about "weight relieved" guitars made out of mahogany?

All things being equal, you could conceivably get a heavier DC than a SC due to the density of the woods on that particular guitar.
Take Northern Ash vs Southern Swamp Ash. They are both good tone woods but will sound different on average because one has a denser mass than the other. Can you guess which has the denser mass on average?

I remember in the mid to late 90's how dealers were constantly weighing Les Pauls and posting the weights. There was a marketing ploy going on at the time for the never ending search for the lightest non-weight relieved Vintage LP that you could find.

I say try 2 - 3 versions of both, preferably with the same amp, and go with which ever you like the best.

OR....buy both versions!

In the end it’s all about endorphins.

If hanging a collection series guitar on a wall generates more endorphins for you than playing it, then hanging is the right way.

If playing it generates more endorphins, then that’s the right way for you.

If dinging it makes you happy, ding away.

If using a rare pernambuco-necked $25k Paul’s 28 to spread peanut butter on a jumbo loaf of bread brings you the most endorphins in the whole world, more than enlightenment itself, then that poor Paul’s 28 is destined to be greasy forever. Paul can’t legally stop you once you’ve paid the $25k. I’m only saying ‘poor’ here cos I personally don’t agree with using a guitar that way. There are jumbo spoons for goodness sake. What the hell is wrong with you?

This, of course, is the correct answer!

Of course that is the 'correct' answer but the correct question maybe which to buy first? ;)

I own the DC version but would love to add a semi/full hollowbody SC version...

Back