594 double or single cut.

You are in the realm of fast diminishing returns here...I find the incremental upgrades between the Cores and S2 smaller than between the S2 and the SE ranges. That being said, when I really sit and analyze the differences, they can be found, but when I just play, then the Bernie holds up extremely well to the Siggy Ltd.

I know there is a difference in wood quality (visual inspection of tuner bushing holes) and the Siggy Ltd does have better parts all rounds, but when I last changed strings on my Bernie and hit a G chord through the amp, I couldn’t believe how good it sounded - I ended up annoying the wife for a good hour thereafter. Not only did it sound good, it played like a dream.

My 2 Cores probably get about 10% playtime between both of them. S2 Singlecut about 60%. Bernie about 15% and my Ibanez FRM 100 the final 15% (hope I got the math right).

What is it about the S2 that makes you play it so much more than your core models ?

My guitars are all in their hard cases which are stacked on top of each other. The S2 has a SKB 56 case which needs to be on top due to its shape.:p

I tend to play the Cores when I want to really treat myself. However, since I got the S2 Singlecut my Cores get played less. I think it is due to the fact that playability is right up there with the Cores and I dig the sound of the #7s.

The Cores are still excellent though. The Siggy Ltd and Standard 24 are amazing guitars, and I would love to own a SC594, but I would need to sell a guitar (space restrictions) and I know there is nothing I want to sell.

My guitars are all in their hard cases which are stacked on top of each other. The S2 has a SKB 56 case which needs to be on top due to its shape.:p

I tend to play the Cores when I want to really treat myself. However, since I got the S2 Singlecut my Cores get played less. I think it is due to the fact that playability is right up there with the Cores and I dig the sound of the #7s.

The Cores are still excellent though. The Siggy Ltd and Standard 24 are amazing guitars, and I would love to own a SC594, but I would need to sell a guitar (space restrictions) and I know there is nothing I want to sell.

This makes me wonder whether I should go for a core model. When I'm gigging my Bernie or my S2 I never find myself wishing I had better guitars. They're great to play and they sound amazing. It's just that nagging feeling that maybe there's something even better. But then there's folks that have loads of core models and are still looking for that little extra something.....

This makes me wonder whether I should go for a core model. When I'm gigging my Bernie or my S2 I never find myself wishing I had better guitars. They're great to play and they sound amazing. It's just that nagging feeling that maybe there's something even better. But then there's folks that have loads of core models and are still looking for that little extra something.....

Yeah, my plan was always to slowly upgrade my guitar collection until I owned 3 or 4 cores. Lately, I just became content with what I have.

I would still go out and play one, take a week or two to reflect and only then make a final decision.

I don't know many, if any, guitarist is not looking for something extra, something new. Maybe some are not happy to gig a 'core' model because of the price or fear of damaging them but they may still want a core (or better) for home/studio use or just having their 'ultimate' guitar. There is always a reason to buy a 'new' guitar and each can be justified by a musician some way or another. Its not always about having something 'better' either but maybe something different - something that may inspire them or just something they 'want'.

The 594 is, in my opinion, something 'different' to anything PRS makes. I know they may look similar to other guitars - the standard 22 fret, twin humbucker format - albeit with a shorter scale length, thicker body and classic Les Paul style arrangement which isn't 'common' - certainly not in their current core line-up but its much more 'vintage' inspired than 'modern'. If you want a 58 Les Paul, you could by a re-issue or buy a 594 if you prefer PRS guitars. It may be similar to what you already have but it may also be different enough that you can justify it. I think the neck carve is the best that PRS offer as standard and really fits the 'vintage' feel they are going for.

I do think that the SE's are great - probably the 'best' in their price bracket, good enough for professional gigging musicians which is high praise and shows how great these are but the 'core' models offer something 'extra'. Maybe its only an extra 5% which may not be a 'lot' extra for the big jump up in price point - some have more for example like the Custom 24 has 66% more options having a 5-way as opposed to the SE's CU24 3 way - but whether that's 'enough' for some is down to individual situations and preference. Whilst a lot of 'signature' guitarists may tour with their SE's, they do have Cores, Private Stocks etc at home too.

If you want something you are happy to gig with but worried about gigging such an expensive guitar, stick with SE's but if you want something special then go for the Cores (or better). Its like owning a Ford Fiesta for running around town, a Ford Pick-up/Van for work/gigs and having a Ford GT in the garage for those special occasions when you want something 'extra'. It maybe that you would rather have 2 or 3 extra guitars for gigging and can't justify having that 'Ford GT' because you never get the opportunity to use it because you are always working/gigging. Only you know if its the 'best' use of your money. I do love my 594 though and wouldn't sell/swap it for anything....

Yeah, my plan was always to slowly upgrade my guitar collection until I owned 3 or 4 cores. Lately, I just became content with what I have.

I would still go out and play one, take a week or two to reflect and only then make a final decision.

Thanks for your thoughts Grausch. I've just been looking at the thread about the finish fading on a private stock guitar which brings me to another consideration - I'm really not interested in fancy tops, plain colours suit me fine. So it's only that extra little bit of tone that I'm curious about. I know that no-one in the pubs I play would notice any difference and, once the bass and drums are going strong, I'm not sure I'd notice myself.

I don't know many, if any, guitarist is not looking for something extra, something new. Maybe some are not happy to gig a 'core' model because of the price or fear of damaging them but they may still want a core (or better) for home/studio use or just having their 'ultimate' guitar. There is always a reason to buy a 'new' guitar and each can be justified by a musician some way or another. Its not always about having something 'better' either but maybe something different - something that may inspire them or just something they 'want'.

The 594 is, in my opinion, something 'different' to anything PRS makes. I know they may look similar to other guitars - the standard 22 fret, twin humbucker format - albeit with a shorter scale length, thicker body and classic Les Paul style arrangement which isn't 'common' - certainly not in their current core line-up but its much more 'vintage' inspired than 'modern'. If you want a 58 Les Paul, you could by a re-issue or buy a 594 if you prefer PRS guitars. It may be similar to what you already have but it may also be different enough that you can justify it. I think the neck carve is the best that PRS offer as standard and really fits the 'vintage' feel they are going for.

I do think that the SE's are great - probably the 'best' in their price bracket, good enough for professional gigging musicians which is high praise and shows how great these are but the 'core' models offer something 'extra'. Maybe its only an extra 5% which may not be a 'lot' extra for the big jump up in price point - some have more for example like the Custom 24 has 66% more options having a 5-way as opposed to the SE's CU24 3 way - but whether that's 'enough' for some is down to individual situations and preference. Whilst a lot of 'signature' guitarists may tour with their SE's, they do have Cores, Private Stocks etc at home too.

If you want something you are happy to gig with but worried about gigging such an expensive guitar, stick with SE's but if you want something special then go for the Cores (or better). Its like owning a Ford Fiesta for running around town, a Ford Pick-up/Van for work/gigs and having a Ford GT in the garage for those special occasions when you want something 'extra'. It maybe that you would rather have 2 or 3 extra guitars for gigging and can't justify having that 'Ford GT' because you never get the opportunity to use it because you are always working/gigging. Only you know if its the 'best' use of your money. I do love my 594 though and wouldn't sell/swap it for anything....

This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. I play mainly small pubs usually with no stage so it's easy for punters to get close to the gear. There's been more than one occasion when I've taken my eye off of things to find some drunken moron has picked my guitar up and is waving it around in front of his mates. If it was a core model I wouldn't dare take my eyes off of it.

This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. I play mainly small pubs usually with no stage so it's easy for punters to get close to the gear. There's been more than one occasion when I've taken my eye off of things to find some drunken moron has picked my guitar up and is waving it around in front of his mates. If it was a core model I wouldn't dare take my eyes off of it.

To be honest, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't dare take a core PRS out gigging either. There is NO way I would want any 'drunken moron' near ANY of my gear let alone a core PRS. I would however be looking at being in a position to own 'Core' PRS guitars - even if its just for home practice or at most, band practice sessions. I don't think its any different from when you start out on a Squire or Epiphone and hope one day to own a Fender/Gibson. Every guitarist has their 'unicorn' or ultimate guitar they want.

Its whether or not the time and money is right for 'you'. If you have all you need for gigging but want that something special, then why not? I think everyone has ambition to own something 'special' - whether that's a certain Guitar for a Guitarist, a Certain Car for a Petrol Head, even a certain watch brand for some that they 'dare not wear' everyday, there is almost always 'something' that people want. As I said, a LOT of professional musicians have their 'special' guitar that they never gig - at most its something they may use in the studio, in their video or just when they are at home and then use something 'similar' on tour. I know there are some that gig 'expensive' guitars too but I doubt Holcombs Private Stock guitar(s) for example will ever be seen on tour.

Thanks for your thoughts Grausch. I've just been looking at the thread about the finish fading on a private stock guitar which brings me to another consideration - I'm really not interested in fancy tops, plain colours suit me fine. So it's only that extra little bit of tone that I'm curious about. I know that no-one in the pubs I play would notice any difference and, once the bass and drums are going strong, I'm not sure I'd notice myself.

I will say one thing though - if I find a used 594 (SC or DC) in decent shape in my favorite colour (Eriza Verde) with hybrid hardware for a decent price this side of the Atlantic, I will be over it in an instant. There are some things even I cannot resist.

Last edited:
I kind of agree, however, the boys in Chicagoland were nice enough to let me try a pile of theirs and the SC's all had certain attributes that I found more pleasing (for me personally).

Agree completely. There’s a thing that the SCs have as a result of the stiffer neck (due to the upper bout being attached higher on the neck, and the thicker wood.

It’s hard to put into words; I just refer to it as “oomph.” It’s a sound I slightly prefer.

Nonetheless, I’ve been into the DC594s for the ergonomics. They also have a nice sound, perhaps it’s airier? Words fail me, as usual, when it comes to describing tone.

To be honest, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't dare take a core PRS out gigging either. There is NO way I would want any 'drunken moron' near ANY of my gear let alone a core PRS. I would however be looking at being in a position to own 'Core' PRS guitars - even if its just for home practice or at most, band practice sessions. I don't think its any different from when you start out on a Squire or Epiphone and hope one day to own a Fender/Gibson. Every guitarist has their 'unicorn' or ultimate guitar they want.

Its whether or not the time and money is right for 'you'. If you have all you need for gigging but want that something special, then why not? I think everyone has ambition to own something 'special' - whether that's a certain Guitar for a Guitarist, a Certain Car for a Petrol Head, even a certain watch brand for some that they 'dare not wear' everyday, there is almost always 'something' that people want. As I said, a LOT of professional musicians have their 'special' guitar that they never gig - at most its something they may use in the studio, in their video or just when they are at home and then use something 'similar' on tour. I know there are some that gig 'expensive' guitars too but I doubt Holcombs Private Stock guitar(s) for example will ever be seen on tour.

Mozzi, I’m very...um, let’s use the word ‘careful’ (it sounds so much nicer than ‘anal’) about my guitars, but I take them out for sessions, and would for performances (haven’t played a show in a while).

Hell, I’d even take my Private Stocks out.

Mozzi, I’m very...um, let’s use the word ‘careful’ (it sounds so much nicer than ‘anal’) about my guitars, but I take them out for sessions, and would for performances (haven’t played a show in a while).

Hell, I’d even take my Private Stocks out.

We are all different and whilst some may be happy to take their 'pride and joy' out to gig in a bar where the punters are so close with drinks etc, others may prefer to have a guitar that is 'good enough' to gig with but not expensive enough to be worried about any potential mishap or incident that could occur. As I stated, owning a 'core' or even Private Stock may well be great for sessions, studio work, video shoots or even band practice so they are not just 'home use' guitars but still wouldn't 'gig' with these - especially not in the local dive with lots of drunken yobs in such a close proximity.

At the end of the day, these are all 'instruments' and really ought to be played. I do admit that if I owned my 'ultimate' PRS - one of those 'dragon' guitars with the dragon on the body and neck, I would be very reluctant to play it - certainly not 'regularly' and would use a 'core' model for 'everyday', maybe even band practice and for writing, also maybe an SE version to gig in small bars too. However that is me. If I was 'famous' such that my gigs would allow some 'security' barrier or even more financially affluent that I could easily afford multiple 'core' models so that if something were to happen to one, I could still have several others as back-ups and easily afford to repair/replace - then maybe I might feel differently but if you have to save up for months, even years just to get one Core, then things are different. I doubt my entire guitar collection is as expensive as one 'Private Stock'.

Point is, we are all in very different circumstances and have different experiences which may shape our views. If you had some drunken yob grabbing up your Private Stock at a gig and swinging it around, would you feel differently about taking it out to similar gigs in the future? If you spent years and years and years working up to a point to be able to buy your 'first' really expensive guitar, would you be willing to take it out to you local pub gig with drunken hooligans in the crowd? Maybe you would but that is not going to be the case for everyone. There are some that drive their Super-car everyday, happy to park it up in the local supermarket car park etc where as others will have an 'every-day' car and keep the super-car for 'special' occasions and the weather is perfect.

Anyway the point still remains that I think that the 'core' models, especially if you have never spent more than £1000 on a guitar, are models that you aspire for. There is always that 'doubt' that spending £3k+ isn't going to get you something that 'feels' and sounds 3x better- which we all know is very unlikely as you do get 'diminishing' returns anyway. I still think though that you can buy your 'dream' guitar, still get a LOT of use from it without ever taking it to a 'gig' - whether that is your 'home use' guitar, your studio, session or even rehearsal choice.

Buying a Core and not gigging it is like buying a better race car to only use on practice laps.

If it's a questionable situation, between sets the guitar is back in the gig bag behind the drum kit.

If it's a really questionable situation, it can go in the gig bag and stay by your side...

Buying a Core and not gigging it is like buying a better race car to only use on practice laps.

If it's a questionable situation, between sets the guitar is back in the gig bag behind the drum kit.

If it's a really questionable situation, it can go in the gig bag and stay by your side...

I am sure there are ways to ensure your Guitar is more 'protected' in gigging situations but not everyone who buys a Ferrari, Lambo or other very high priced 'sports' car actually uses them for 'racing' or would use them in a situation of 'greater' risk of damage - if not by you, by someone else.

I tend to look at things a little differently obviously. You don't have to buy a 'Core' to gig with and not everyone 'gigs' either but enjoys playing/creating music. You could buy a core to use 'every-day' without ever 'gigging' with it. Use it to write/create music, use it in your studio, for session work for rehearsals and jamming with friends and never actually 'gig' in front of an audience with it. It doesn't make the Core any less of an instrument because its never been 'gigged' - its not as if its being bought as wall art but still an important and cherished instrument.

Maybe it makes a difference in the style of music you play, the audience you play too as well. I bet its different playing jazz in a sophisticated 'wine bar' to playing punk/rock/metal in front of drunken hooligans in the roughest pub in town. Maybe not for some people too - like I said we are all different, with different circumstances and experiences too which have shaped our opinions on things like this.

What I will agree on though, that buying a Core to be 'wall art' or to sit in a case for years is a shame - they were built to be played. I don't see anything wrong with having SE's for gigging if you feel happier, more relaxed and less worried about your instrument and having Cores for every other situation - your studio, your creative/inspiration, home-use, session work, rehearsal/practice guitar and keeping the SE's just for gigging. Each to their own...

I am not 'gigging' any more either - mostly down to health issues but I still have 'core' guitars and still play all my core guitars regularly. Should I have not bought a Core guitar because I am not gigging?

There are some that drive their Super-car everyday, happy to park it up in the local supermarket car park etc where as others will have an 'every-day' car and keep the super-car for 'special' occasions and the weather is perfect.

In the 80s I had a new Hartge-modded BMW 633CSi, that was close enough to a supercar from my point of view, and I both showed the car at club events and raced it.

ly1zfFE.jpg

The M1 on the left was a friend’s (he raced his, too!). I thought both cars looked kinda cool in my driveway, so of COURSE I took a pic!

I’m finicky about my stuff, but I have fun with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FJ4
In the 80s I had a new Hartge-modded BMW 633CSi, that was close enough to a supercar from my point of view, and I both showed the car at club events and raced it.

aChsvSZ.jpg

The M1 on the left was a friend’s (he raced his, too!). I thought both cars looked kinda cool in my driveway, so of COURSE I took a pic!

I’m finicky about my stuff, but I have fun with it.

Nice cars...

What I said though is that there are 'some' people who don't buy sports car and race them, like I know some people don't buy Core PRS guitars to gig with. There are of course people that do but not everyone will and its their choice.

If someone feels uncomfortable and worried with taking a core model out on the road, then that is perfectly fine - there are decent guitars that they can use and feel more relaxed about but that also doesn't mean they shouldn't buy or own a core guitar and keep it for home, studio etc use if they want.

Back