594 - Different Saddles?

dcm_guitar

As I've been seeing and playing new 594s I've noticed a change in the saddles. I have a 2020 594 DC, and it has the brass block saddles. The pic below (not my guitar) has a great view of these saddles:

lynp6owsx3vy7cz50fzz.jpg

I've noticed that on SOME recent 594 models the saddle have changed to a brass trapezoidal shape. The image below (again, not my guitar) shows this newer saddle shape:

tyou3jinr3ryeswghhcx.jpg

Does anyone have any info on the change? PRSH has been quoted as saying "anything that touches the string is God" so I'm curious about this change. I've seen it on the 2020 Experience guitars as they make their way into retail availability. Is this a tweak that only the 2020 Experience guitars have?

Just curious if anyone has any insight or info.

So, I remember seeing this in a video, I think. Somewhere there was mention, or it was shown. Can't remember if it was a Brian demo vid, or the video of Tim Pierce and Howard. I went and looked at my late 2019 DC with 2020 specs, and it has the square saddles. I looked at all of MA Pete's 2020s that he rolled through. He has the 2020 SC Prototype, and that one has the trapezoid shape. That guitar has a 2019 s/n. Found this note in a post from Pete about the Tim/Howard video.

"Also Howard talked about tweaks to the Bridge for the 2020s, more downward pressure providing for better tone."

I looked at 5 or 6 of the 594s he cycled through for 2020 (all 2020 models), and none of them had the trap saddles. Perhaps it is/was a case of depleting existing inventory before changing over to the trap on all 2020 594s.

I just bought a new 2020 that has the older block saddles. Wonder if the new saddles will be available to buy as replacement parts?

Have any of you seen JUST the flatter saddles for sale somewhere, and would they likely just be a quick switch out?

I imagine you 'might' have to raise that bridge piece to accommodate for desired/same string height.

My 2020 S2 594, and 2020 S2 594 Thinline both have the LP-style saddles

Looking on the PRS website it looks like they might be going back to the bigger brass block saddles on the newer 594 models?

I really like the skinnier trapezoid version and went to try and purchase one of those bridges today and all I can find are the bigger brass block models.

That was not the case 5 months ago when I bought a trapezoid style for an 2016 594.

Very curious....

Last edited:
Looking on the PRS website it looks like they might be going back to the bigger brass block saddles on the newer 594 models?

I really like the skinnier trapezoid version and went to try and purchase one of those bridges today and all I can find are the bigger brass block models.

That was not the case 5 months ago when I bought a trapezoid style for an 2016 594.

Very curious....
If you prefer the narrower saddles, let me know. I just ordered a couple of bridges and they all came with that saddle. I prefer the square saddles, so I am not happy.

Back