594 appreciation thread

pauloqs

PRS McCarty
Okay, so my gateway drug to PRS was a Ted McCarty. Three years later I got a DC 594. At first, I preferred the neck on the Ted McCarty. As I got used to the neck on the 594 I would like it even more. Sound-wise it is my favorite PRS. There is this very pleasing mid-range that is present even when unplugged. The only other guitar in my experience that sounds this good unplugged is my R9. Anyways, I’m head over heels over my 594. That thing the the real deal.

Here’s an old picture. The pickup covers have a nice patina now, so it looks even better.

Mine has a maple neck with satin finish. I think Les is right, the neck contribution to sound is extremely important. I think he made an analogy to a pitch fork once. I believe he’s absolutely right.

What a flipping beast of a guitar. I thank you Paul R Smith for creating this masterpiece.

mzM1ifV.jpg

There is this very pleasing mid-range that is present even when unplugged.
Cheers to a good cause for celebration!

A long time of observation has led me to believe the reason for any tonal characteristic plugged in, is also present unplugged.

Otherwise really, electric guitars would not sound like guitars in the first place.

You are right on the acoustic tone! Amplifying a dead sounding instrument is akin to handing a mic to a poor singer.

I’m a recent 594 convert myself, with a DC breaking the ice for me and a SC joining that one in short order. The 594 is going to be a PRS classic, no question. Already is!

In terms of body shape, the 594 is essentially the same guitar as a Mccarty or Custom 24, bar a little difference in body and neck thickness.

So I’m guessing the main tonal difference must come from either the two piece bridge or the scale length. I suspect the bridge is the main culprit. There’s probably something about anchoring the string tightly down onto the bridge at an angle.

In terms of body shape, the 594 is essentially the same guitar as a Mccarty or Custom 24, bar a little difference in body and neck thickness.

So I’m guessing the main tonal difference must come from either the two piece bridge or the scale length. I suspect the bridge is the main culprit. There’s probably something about anchoring the string tightly down onto the bridge at an angle.

McCarty have thicker bodies than the Custom 22/24. The DC 594 is thicker than a McCarty and the SC 549 is thicker than the DC. Although I agree that scale length and bridge style affects sound, I believe the thickness of the body and neck also contribute to the sonic character of the guitar. For instance SC vs DC 594s sound different despite having the same bridge, pickups (that’ll change in 2020) and scale length.

Okay, so my gateway drug to PRS was a Ted McCarty. Three years later I got a DC 594. At first, I preferred the neck on the Ted McCarty. As I got used to the neck on the 594 I would like it even more. Sound-wise it is my favorite PRS. There is this very pleasing mid-range that is present even when unplugged. The only other guitar in my experience that sounds this good unplugged is my R9. Anyways, I’m head over heels over my 594. That thing the the real deal.

Here’s an old picture. The pickup covers have a nice patina now, so it looks even better.

Mine has a maple neck with satin finish. I think Les is right, the neck contribution to sound is extremely important. I think he made an analogy to a pitch fork once. I believe he’s absolutely right.

What a flipping beast of a guitar. I thank you Paul R Smith for creating this masterpiece.

mzM1ifV.jpg
Hopefully someday soon I’ll be joining the club!!

I can't not contribute to a fresh 594 appreciation thread to start 2020! I've had mine since July and it has instantly become the most treasured guitar that I own. It sounds ridiculously good no matter what style of music I'm playing and I never get tired of looking at it. I don't think I could have spec'd a better private stock myself so I'm thankful that a dealer did this wood library run for me!

fWJdk1Z.jpg

MZYh1z5.jpg

dGRxwIz.jpg

fM4cP9c.jpg

Last edited:
I can't not contribute to a fresh 594 appreciation thread to start 2020! I've had mine since July and it has instantly become the most treasured guitar that I own. It sounds ridiculously good no matter what style of music I'm playing for and I never get tired of looking at it. I don't think I could of spec'd a better private stock myself so I'm thankful that a dealer did this wood library run for me!

fWJdk1Z.jpg

MZYh1z5.jpg

dGRxwIz.jpg

fM4cP9c.jpg
That is scrumptious!

Back