594 85/15 LT Alternatives

I’ve said this in other threads, but it might be worth considering a boost pedal instead of a hotter pickup, if you like the character of the 58/15 LTs but simply wish they had higher output for certain things.

Any pickup change is going to also be a character change. With a boost, you can instantly switch back to the original character of the guitar for the next song, something you obviously can’t do with a pickup.

There are plenty of options in the boost category, everything from very clean boosts, to highly colored boosts, to boosts that add a little grit and drive. Some boosts will also offer EQ for additional tone-shaping. Then there are treble boosts, something that the classic rockers used to shape their tone for many years, to drive single channel amps into singing sustain. There really aren’t limitations, but with a pickup, you’re stuck with whatever the tone is until you get out the screwdriver and soldering iron.

I have two boosts on my board; one is a very clean boost with the option of a mid-push, by Suhr; the second is one with dialable drive, dialable boost, EQ and coloration, the Chime side of the Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2. It can be gritty, but I use it mainly as a clean boost with a slight amount of grit, and a little bit of top-end push just to push a slightly clipping amp over the top. It also has an extremely transparent overdrive, and is built with studio grade components (which is why it’s pretty expensive!). Then there are classics like the Xotic EP, etc., to consider.

Pardon the bump...

f5CXEvr.gif

Some of the best advice I've received on this forum, thanks again! There must be half a dozen threads in which I threatened to yank the LTs, but I took this approach and... wow. :eek:

Part of me was already devoted to putting in BKPs or similar, because I love playing high gain stuff and enjoy modding. In a previous life I was used to significantly hotter pickups (passive and active). The logic of adding a boost to the chain was undeniable though, and I found one which does precisely what I hoped for -- and now delivers the snarl I wanted, but without touching the stock electronics. The gravity of that just sank in, and I'm pretty tickled about being able to keep the instrument original, as well as still utilize the awesome split tones I love. Now I don't have to sacrifice the utility of the 58/15 LT's range, either, and it's solidly pleasing.

So, I'll just have to scratch my itch with 59/09s in a future core. That's a much happier dilemma! :D

I don't know squat about PRS pickups [ just bought my first PRS Custom 22 guitar ] but the 58 / 15's in it are awesome. The tone is what sold the guitar. I was looking for a 594 but none were in stock so I can't compare. Very warm crunch with smooth breakup. Natural overdrive is a good way to describe them.

I love the LT's in the 594. I think they have a great overdriven tone through my Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Ace. If you are committed to a change, however, I recommend you look at Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers. I put a set in my old SC-58 (I actually sold this guitar when I bought the 594) and in a custom shop Class 5 Les Paul. They are perfect in my opinion.

Man why do you have to go and say this??!? Since I bought my 594, I’ve wondered what previous gear would have been great with it. And my stiletto ace is the one amp I’ve regretted selling ever since. So I had already been jonesing for another one. Now I guess I have to find one. Luckily I still have the 2061cx cab I used with it. So just need a head.

On a side note. Who here has a guy that buys unnecessary organs? I need more funds than my occupations allow at the moment. Haha.

Pardon the bump...

f5CXEvr.gif

Some of the best advice I've received on this forum, thanks again! There must be half a dozen threads in which I threatened to yank the LTs, but I took this approach and... wow. :eek:

Part of me was already devoted to putting in BKPs or similar, because I love playing high gain stuff and enjoy modding. In a previous life I was used to significantly hotter pickups (passive and active). The logic of adding a boost to the chain was undeniable though, and I found one which does precisely what I hoped for -- and now delivers the snarl I wanted, but without touching the stock electronics. The gravity of that just sank in, and I'm pretty tickled about being able to keep the instrument original, as well as still utilize the awesome split tones I love. Now I don't have to sacrifice the utility of the 58/15 LT's range, either, and it's solidly pleasing.

So, I'll just have to scratch my itch with 59/09s in a future core. That's a much happier dilemma! :D

Great to hear that! Can you share what boost you found works for you, and how you have it set in your chain? Is it stacked before or after an overdrive pedal, or does it boost straight into the amp? I too have a great 594 but am looking at options for getting the most out of the LT bridge. Thanks!

Great to hear that! Can you share what boost you found works for you, and how you have it set in your chain? Is it stacked before or after an overdrive pedal, or does it boost straight into the amp? I too have a great 594 but am looking at options for getting the most out of the LT bridge. Thanks!

(I'll use the spoiler tag to share a video, for science!)

I'm running this direct into a 5:35 head. The Boogie has gain for days (and as such, no OD pedal), but my apartment environment doesn't let me crank up enough to get the desired result. This serves as a great remedy for what I needed at low volume.

There are two gain stages at your disposal, but I find the first to be plenty with this setup. The EQ shapes and contours really nicely.

YMMV, as always!

Last edited:
(I'll use the spoiler tag to share a video, for science!)

I'm running this direct into a 5:35 head. The Boogie has gain for days (and as such, no OD pedal), but my apartment environment doesn't let me crank up enough to get the desired result. This serves as a great remedy for what I needed at low volume.

There are two gain stages at your disposal, but I find the first to be plenty with this setup. The EQ shapes and contours really nicely.

YMMV, as always!

How do you like that pedal? I've been considering one with the idea of using one side for clean boost and the other side for a dirty boost.

Lately, I’ve been using three boosts that sound different from one another; the Pettyjohn Lift that has an effective studio type EQ; a Suhr KokoBoost with a sweepable mid-boost mode; and the Chime side of a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2, set clean with just a hint of dirt when I dig in (it also has lots of other useful features that can be dialed up).

The PD2 also sounds great if pushed by either the Lift or the Koko.

I like having these flavors, and find them an effective combination with the pickups on my 594s.

The Lift also has a transparent, studio quality buffer that’s very effective at preserving the guitar signal’s high frequencies without unpleasant coloration or brittleness. The buffer is “always on” and the footswitch is for the boost; it preserves the bite in the pickups nicely.

I also have a Suhr buffer that I run at the end of the chain, before the cable runs to the amps.

High frequency loss due to cable capacitance screws up the bite from pickups; a good buffer is a wonderful tone tool that’s often overlooked. People blame the pickups, when often the culprit is the length of the cable run.

Here I’m not talking about the inexpensive, bad-sounding op-amps that come in most buffered pedals. There’s good stuff out there, too, and it’s worth investigating.

Thanks for the booster tips! I need to check out the RC booster and those Pettyjohn pedals.

I've been considering a Fulltone B2 that a friend recommended. I'd previously thought about an EP, but never got past the thinking about it stage.

I know this is an old thread, but I've had my SC594 for 7 months now and gigged it a lot.
I agree the bridge pickup in particular seems to lack oomph, particularly when up against my custom shop Les Paul R9's.
But try raising the pickup, mine came set quite low, and also raising the polepieces, it improved the grunt factor a lot, then just a tad more gain on the amp.
Huge difference.

Back