59/09s throughout the years

John Beef

Opaque
59/09s are pretty ubiquitous nowadays, and most of what are out there are uncovered squabbins. They've been available for purchase from PRS and dealers since I think 2012 in the squabbin format, with 3 conductor wiring for 5 way/rotary compatible switching.

Briefly, before squabbins, they has 3 conductor wiring and normal, rounded pickup bobbins, and were manufactured without a cover. Squabbins without the squared bobbin.

But when they were first released, they had covers with 59/09 etched in the brushed nickel cover, and were one conductor with a split wire. I just bought such a set... was wondering if anyone else had a set like this? Has anyone compared these earlier ones with the later ones?

w6FdkBP.jpg

ZBZoHr0.jpg

I believe those nickel-covered ones were on the Santana-shaped DC 22's that came out of Musician's Friend's "Private Reserve Guitars," and also on the Dirty 100's.

I also happen to have an Artist V with "Artist V" pickups that sounds a liiiiitttle bit too suspiciously (exactly) like the 59/09's that I put in my CU22. I'm just sayin'.

I have two sets of nickel covered 59/09s like that. One came stock in a PRS Experience 59/09 Limited which I love to death. The other set I bought second hand, and they wound up in my ME1. That move was inspired by the 59/09. :D

prs07.png

prs11.png

I got a set in which I put nickel covers on. Had them in an LP, but didn't like the way they sounded , so I yanked them. I do have a brushed neck one in my WL DGT and it sounds really good. I wish they would bring back the brushed look

I have a set in my DC-22, and the Dirty 100 (but they are gold covers), neck of a WL DGT run. I have a Cu22 that I sent to the PTC for pickup change, mini toggles, 3 way and a refin. They installed a covered 59/09 in the bridge, but it is "chrome" not brushed. Finally, my SC Ted had covered, brushed 59/09s.

I will hopefully have some time to draw up a schematic, but I did take a few pics. These pickups sound great! Of course, when I bought this guitar with Dragon IIs it sounded great, and then after a few years I picked up a set of DGTs on a whim and the guitar sounded great, and then it's had a few more in there, here and there, which all sounded pretty good, but back to PRS again and it sounds great again. I should get a red hat made up that says "MAKE PRS GUITARS GREAT AGAIN (by re-installing some PRS pickups)".

I will hopefully have some time to draw up a schematic, but I did take a few pics. These pickups sound great! Of course, when I bought this guitar with Dragon IIs it sounded great, and then after a few years I picked up a set of DGTs on a whim and the guitar sounded great, and then it's had a few more in there, here and there, which all sounded pretty good, but back to PRS again and it sounds great again. I should get a red hat made up that says "MAKE PRS GUITARS GREAT AGAIN (by re-installing some PRS pickups)".

I’m all about this :) I recently swapped in some P22’s into my Custom 24 and my Dragon 1’s into my Standard. Making them better!

w6xSzdt.jpg

5TCwodJ.jpg

Back