59/09's on the PRS store say compatible for 5 way... how about 3?

Tedder

Unprofessional
59/09's on the PRS store say compatible for 5 way... how about a 3 way selector?

Are the 59/09's set up for coil taps? I'm curious because I have a Tremonti SE Custom with SE 245's and they are not quite what I want, mostly on the bridge/treble side of things. They are a little too punchy and I want something much more vintage like with good articulation and clarity but that will solo that bridge pickup well with a lot of OD but clean up as well. I mostly play clean for rythm or clean with a little dirt in it until a big solo comes up and then I add a little more OD depending on the song. Just curious if they would work and if are worth the $$$. I know it's a very subjective question. Seems a bit much to drop $400 into a $750 axe but I want this baby to sing. :)

I'd consider to sell them for 360$. But I'm in Europe
Anyway, they are a good all-around pickup, not so 'hot' like tremonti pickups, great vintage to mid-rock tones.

The 59/09s, at least the bridge pickups that I have, can be coil tapped. I would assume that any new 59/09s you buy will be the same. I have them in my CE24s and I think they sound great. Lots of clarity, clean up very well and useable split tones. I go for classic/hard rock sounds for the most part, and they work great. As far as whether or not they are worth the money, my only advice is that the used ones sound just as good as new ones and can be sold for exactly what you paid for them.

I'd consider to sell them for 360$. But I'm in Europe
Anyway, they are a good all-around pickup, not so 'hot' like tremonti pickups, great vintage to mid-rock tones.

Well it sounds like they might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the offer but I'm not quite ready to spend money yet. I like to plan these things out, research them and then figure out where the $$$ comes from. lol

The 59/09s, at least the bridge pickups that I have, can be coil tapped. I would assume that any new 59/09s you buy will be the same. I have them in my CE24s and I think they sound great. Lots of clarity, clean up very well and useable split tones. I go for classic/hard rock sounds for the most part, and they work great. As far as whether or not they are worth the money, my only advice is that the used ones sound just as good as new ones and can be sold for exactly what you paid for them.

Gotcha. I thought that might be what they meant. I wouldn'y mind having the coil taps but I have no idea how to wire them as such and honestly would be very happy just using the 3 way toggle anyway. Great point about buying used. I may have to go that route. :)

For coil tap pick ups that you want to just just with a 3 way you only have to solder the negitive from the north coil to the positive of the south coil. With 2 wire (2 plus ground) to 4 wire (4 plus ground) the only difference is that the solder point is right at the coils on the 2 wire where they are out at the end of the wires on 4 wire. I think (not sure) that you would just have to solder the Green and White wires together and put a little piece of shrink wrap on it.

Some PRS pickups have 3 wire (3 plus ground) and with those you just make sure the end of the middle wire (usually Red i think) is not making contact with anything, put a little heat shrink on it.

Last edited:
For coil tap pick ups that you want to just just with a 3 way you only have to solder the negitive from the north coil to the positive of the south coil. With 2 wire (2 plus ground) to 4 wire (4 plus ground) the only difference is that the solder point is right at the coils on the 2 wire where they are out at the end of the wires on 4 wire. I think (not sure) that you would just have to solder the Green and White wires together and put a little piece of shrink wrap on it.

Some PRS pickups have 3 wire (3 plus ground) and with those you just make sure the end of the middle wire (usually Red i think) is not making contact with anything, put a little heat shrink on it.

Thanks buddy! I am just starting to get into the wiring aspects and this will probably help a lot as soon as I decide to pull the trigger on a new set. :)

I spent quite a lot of time last night trying to get my amp settings tweaked for the new guitar and I can get lots of wonderful sounds out of the neck/bass pickup but not so much out of the bridge. It's too... something. I don't know. Harsh and bright. Even if I roll off some treble it still has qualities that don't speak to me. I don't play a lot with heavy distortion and the cleaner tones just don't sound good to me. My goal is to have the ability to toggle from my neck to my bridge pickup to get a little more grit from the amp and a bit of a volume boost but overall I still want that bluesy rock goodness this neck pickup likes to do. Basically I want the neck pickup characteristics with more balls. lol

It's possible I just need to spend a little more time with it but that is what is driving me to look into other options at least for the treble/bridge pickup.

59/09s are sensitive to height and polepiece adjustments - don't be afraid to experiment! It took me a little time to dial mine in perfectly but it was worth the effort.

How do the adjustments work generally? Further away from the string means less output and closer would be more?

The closer they are to the strings, the more output, harmonics and "gain" you will obtain. But too closer also translates to mush sometimes
The further you place 'em, the more clearer they get. You'll have to dig harder though.
Enjoy them as they are VERY versatile

Back