59/09's in an LP/DGT

Domingo Lantigua

And here we go...I got a set of 59/09's (round bobbins, uncovered) from Reverb. Ordered a set of nickel covers and installed them on my Les Paul :eek:. Did a quick setup and adjustment, and lo and behold... The heavens did not part , choirs of angels did not sing. In other words , I was very underwhelmed. The neck sounded pretty good, but even after adjusting the height of the pickup and the polepieces, the treble pickup sounds too trebly with not enough girth. I have to roll back the tone to about 4 in order for it to sound passable. I just want more grunt without more gain. I've been chasing for a good bridge (treble) pickup for ages , but I cant get close. My DGT's sound OK but again that treble pickup needs more umph, less treble more bass. Any recommendations would be appreciated , before I yank out those 59/09's

Last edited:
Wolfetone Marshallhead with an A2 magnet. I thought they were great when I had a Les Paul. I prefer uncovered tones too for the slightly thicker higher output.

You know i just realized....Did you remember that black is hot on the treble.....AND ....white wire is hot on the bass? If not...that'd be the reason one is thin sounding.

You know i just realized....Did you remember that black is hot on the treble.....AND ....white wire is hot on the bass? If not...that'd be the reason one is thin sounding.
Yes that's how I wired . Its not thin sounding , just not enough Bass . I fiddled with my amp settings and tweaked the heights and it is better. I may go back to some Seymour Duncan since they were closer to what I hear in my head. It's not to take away anything from the 59/09's . They are good(especially the bass pickup) just need more oomph .

I ended up taking them out and going back to the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro/ Slash. It's the closest to what I want from a Les Paul. Guess I'll be getting rid of thos 59/09's. Thanks everyone for the input!

Back