59/09's in an LP/DGT

Domingo Lantigua

And here we go...I got a set of 59/09's (round bobbins, uncovered) from Reverb. Ordered a set of nickel covers and installed them on my Les Paul :eek:. Did a quick setup and adjustment, and lo and behold... The heavens did not part , choirs of angels did not sing. In other words , I was very underwhelmed. The neck sounded pretty good, but even after adjusting the height of the pickup and the polepieces, the treble pickup sounds too trebly with not enough girth. I have to roll back the tone to about 4 in order for it to sound passable. I just want more grunt without more gain. I've been chasing for a good bridge (treble) pickup for ages , but I cant get close. My DGT's sound OK but again that treble pickup needs more umph, less treble more bass. Any recommendations would be appreciated , before I yank out those 59/09's

Last edited:

zerolight

Wolfetone Marshallhead with an A2 magnet. I thought they were great when I had a Les Paul. I prefer uncovered tones too for the slightly thicker higher output.

GuitarJammin

Guitar Player
You know i just realized....Did you remember that black is hot on the treble.....AND ....white wire is hot on the bass? If not...that'd be the reason one is thin sounding.

Domingo Lantigua

You know i just realized....Did you remember that black is hot on the treble.....AND ....white wire is hot on the bass? If not...that'd be the reason one is thin sounding.
Yes that's how I wired . Its not thin sounding , just not enough Bass . I fiddled with my amp settings and tweaked the heights and it is better. I may go back to some Seymour Duncan since they were closer to what I hear in my head. It's not to take away anything from the 59/09's . They are good(especially the bass pickup) just need more oomph .

Domingo Lantigua

I ended up taking them out and going back to the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro/ Slash. It's the closest to what I want from a Les Paul. Guess I'll be getting rid of thos 59/09's. Thanks everyone for the input!