59/09 vs 57/08 vs 85/15 pickups???

titansfan4196

Looking for some new pickups to put in my S2 Custom 24. I play rock, blues, gospel, funk, worship. Looking for a good, strong sound. Looking for better sustain... My overdrive tone is similar to Mark Lettieri's. What do you like, dislike, prefer etc about each of these pickups?
Thanks!!

My 2c: 85/15s best all-rounders, 57/08s close second but less good at high gain, 59/09s excel at high gain but less interesting when played clean.

Only the latter two are legitimately available aftermarket, 85/15s would have to be found secondhand from someone who pulled them out of a guitar.

Looking for some new pickups to put in my S2 Custom 24. I play rock, blues, gospel, funk, worship. Looking for a good, strong sound. Looking for better sustain... My overdrive tone is similar to Mark Lettieri's. What do you like, dislike, prefer etc about each of these pickups?
Thanks!!
I did a comparison of all those pickups many months ago.
I agree with white cat however I put the 57/08's first, slightly hot PAF,s.perfect for 60s and 70s classic rock. with the 85/15s slightly behind. very similar pickups. I found the 85/15 to be slightly mid-scooped. which may be perfect for certain guitars. it also gives them slight high fidelity feeling. both really good pickups. the 59/09's really good gain structure. but less flexible toward the cleaned up tones.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...tone-chasing-5-pickups-in-5-days.29362/page-2

Wondering how the 58/15's fit in to this spectrum. Also, are the 85/15's hotter then the 59/09, or vice verse?

58/15 slightly different EQ but basically the same pickup, 85/15's are less hot 8.5 kohms, vs the 59/09's which are the hottest in your group. something like 9.5 kohms.

Back