59/09 pup ?

helmi

single & satin
I've had 59/09 UN-covered pups before, but never covered. thinking about a set of covered. can anyone who's heard both tell me the tone differance's.

I've only had uncovered as well. I'd imagine it's about the same as other pickups though. Slightly less open and a tad more subdued? That may sound negative to the covered pickup fans...so maybe a touch warmer with little of the high end attack rolled off?

Coral Sky Music was great to deal with when I was wanting a covered 59/09 treble p/u (they're also the only place to get them new with covers). I put it in my Satin 22 S2, and had a couple of other pickups covered and uncovered in that guitar, and don't feel that the covers made a huge difference, although I didn't specifically A/B a covered vs uncovered 59:09.

I have both sets, and they really sound different, not huge, but different. To illustrate that, here are the DC values of my sets:

covered 59/09: 8,23 kOhm resp. 9,26 kOhm
uncovered 59/09: 8,07 kOhm resp. 9,55 kOhm

I have both sets, and they really sound different, not huge, but different.

How so? outside of what Vchizzle stated, (which I kind of figured, but wanted someone to confirm) any suprises in the difference. what I'd really like to try tho 59/09's in is a hollowbody, but wasn't sure if they would be "too" hot for a hollowbody? thanks fella's.

Inspired by your question, i grabbed the guitars with the different 59/09 sets to listen for audible differences regardless of any technical issues. I must tell you that the covered set sounds brighter than the uncovered one.

Too bright for my ears, so I lowered the pole pieces (one full turn) and now i'm happy with it. @helmi, thank you for pointing me to that issue.

Inspired by your question, i grabbed the guitars with the different 59/09 sets to listen for audible differences regardless of any technical issues. I must tell you that the covered set sounds brighter than the uncovered one.

Too bright for my ears, so I lowered the pole pieces (one full turn) and now i'm happy with it. @helmi, thank you for pointing me to that issue.

your welcome. glad I could inspire someone, instead of frustrating them.

Back