59/09 4 conductor wiring guide

Dan-d-1985

Perpetual lurker
Hi guys, could you possibly clarify the wiring code for the 59/09 pickups?

I have a covered neck and squabbin bridge. Both have black/white/red/green and shield.

Am I right that the red and green like the tremonti treble are the coil tap wires that are soldered together and then the relevant push/pull lug?

This i'm guessing means the white and black are hot and ground, but which is which for neck and bridge. I was thinking on the bridge, black was hot and white ground and the reverse for the neck.

Is this correct or could you suggest pointers?

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi guys, could you possibly clarify the wiring code for the 59/09 pickups?

I have a covered neck and squabbin bridge. Both have black/white/red/green and shield.

Am I right that the red and green like the tremonti treble are the coil tap wires that are soldered together and then the relevant push/pull lug?

This i'm guessing means the white and black are hot and ground, but which is which for neck and bridge. I was thinking on the bridge, black was hot and white ground and the reverse for the neck.

Is this correct or could you suggest pointers?

Cheers,

Dan.
I have never seen a PRS pickup with a green wire. Typically it's black, white, and red. So, I went and looked at the Tremonti wiring and sure enough, those pickups at least have a green wire that from the factory, is soldered and taped and completely unused. Strange!

How are you wiring these up, in which guitar? Typically the red wire is the one you would use for splitting, but the white is hot on the neck pickup, and black is hot on the bridge pickup.

Yeah, I was working off the tremonti wiring schematic for the treble p'up, but I'm not having luck with either the tap or the bridge in general and just swapping white and black for the neck hot/ground as that's pretty common for PRS p'ups.

I realised that actually, I only need to solder EITHER red or green to the push/pull pot lug for tapping the p'up, but something still isn't right.

It's certainly not my first p'up swap, but my most troublesome for some strange reason....

Back