58/15LT pups in a ... non-PRS guitar?

You know I’m just playin’

I have (and had) some Gibson pickups in PRS but never the other way around. What’re you thinking of putting them in?

I know you just playin...

So a cheap but awesome sounding/awesome feeling LP fell into my lap. The LP is kinda bright so I have some BK Abraxas pups coming BUT if those don’t work out, I’m thinking about putting my one remaining LT in the neck with either a BK Mule, BK Abraxas (bridge), or a mean @ss BK Black Dog.

Aside from the LT, my only other unused PRS pickups are McCartys, and a 85/15 neck. I really want the LT to find a home in one of my guitars. It looks so lonely sitting in a cardboard box with its lil conductors not attached to anything... poor little thing.

Last edited:

So a cheap but awesome sounding/awesome feeling LP fell into my lap. The LP is kinda bright so I have some BK Abraxas pups coming BUT if those don’t work out, I’m thinking about putting my one remaining LT in the neck with either a BK Mule, BK Abraxas (bridge), or a mean @ss BK Black Dog.

Aside from the LT, my only other unused PRS pickups are McCartys, and a 85/15 bridge. I really want the LT to find a home in one of my guitars. It looks so lonely sitting in a cardboard box with its lil conductors not attached to anything... poor little thing.

I’ve bought a couple SE’s for lonely pickups, so I know what you mean.

For a bright guitar my first choice would probably be some 53/10’s, but then you’d need to buy like, three or four new guitars to keep your unused pickup’s self esteem up.

I’ve bought a couple SE’s for lonely pickups, so I know what you mean.

For a bright guitar my first choice would probably be some 53/10’s, but then you’d need to buy like, three or four new guitars to keep your unused pickup’s self esteem up.

I had some spare 53/10s... but like you, I bought a SE and now that’s where they live. I could gut that SE and put the McCartys in it, then put the 53/10s in the LP but I’m hoping the Abraxas pups will be dark vintagey which is what I like about the LP tone.

Yeah it’s a full time job trying to make these unused pickups feel loved and shyt. I could say ‘I am done acquiring guitars’ but y’all know I’d be lying.

...The LP is kinda bright ...

Another fix for that is swap volume pots for darker. Measure the kohms of what is there and find a pot on the low end of its spec, get a high spec 250k pot, or put a fixed 470k resistor across the outer lugs of the current pot.

Since we’re in the spirit of sharing, who here has put a Gibson pickup in a PRS?:eek:

Before you hyperventilate after the 20 second gasp, I’ll admit, I have. Didn’t stay, but it didn’t suck, either.

The HFS did NOT like my Les Paul. At all. Period. Paragraph.

Yeah it’s a full time job trying to make these unused pickups feel loved and shyt. I could say ‘I am done acquiring guitars’ but y’all know I’d be lying.

Couldn’t agree more. I have a 53/10 neck, \m/ bridge, some #6’s, a VB, and now a set of Core Starla picksup that are all sitting waiting to go in something or be paired with something else.

Since we’re in the spirit of sharing, who here has put a Gibson pickup in a PRS?:eek:

Guilty, your honor. :oops:

I...uh...well, ok, in the early 90s I wasn’t crazy about the PRS pickups then in production, and uh...you know...had a tech put in a set of PAFs...and uh...well...I kinda dug them more than the T&Bs or the HFS/VBs or whatever was in there....and uhm....you know...I throw myself on the mercy of the court. [sob]

But in mitigation of my offense, I had the original pickups reinstalled later (and then wound up selling the guitar, so no harm, no foul!).

Before you hyperventilate after the 20 second gasp, I’ll admit, I have. Didn’t stay, but it didn’t suck, either.

The HFS did NOT like my Les Paul. At all. Period. Paragraph.
I’ve wondered how my high impedance prototype Les Paul pickups would sound in a PRS. They are bad boy screamers.

So... I’ve made a decision based on your input. I set up a cheapo amp for clean and put an overdrive pedal in front of it. I rolled the amp volume up then the guitar volume down. I then tested my SE with 53/10 neck then I tested my McCarty with the LT neck. They both sounded good: the 53/10 was clear/warm/thick while the LT was clearer/more articulate/crunchier. The downsides were that the 53/10 wasn’t as articulate or dynamic as the LT but the LT was kinda thin sounding in comparison with the 53/10.

The answer is: buy another cheap but awesome Gibson to put the LT neck in.

That’s right.

Buy another guitar was my answer. Trash the pcb pickups and put the lonely nice pickups in the cheap but nice playing nice feeling nice sounding guitar. All for the price of a new S2 Custom.

I just wonder how the LT will sound in a thick guitar with a thick maple neck...

I love it when science supports buying new guitars.
Well done!
So... I’ve made a decision based on your input. I set up a cheapo amp for clean and put an overdrive pedal in front of it. I rolled the amp volume up then the guitar volume down. I then tested my SE with 53/10 neck then I tested my McCarty with the LT neck. They both sounded good: the 53/10 was clear/warm/thick while the LT was clearer/more articulate/crunchier. The downsides were that the 53/10 wasn’t as articulate or dynamic as the LT but the LT was kinda thin sounding in comparison with the 53/10.

The answer is: buy another cheap but awesome Gibson to put the LT neck in.

That’s right.

Buy another guitar was my answer. Trash the pcb pickups and put the lonely nice pickups in the cheap but nice playing nice feeling nice sounding guitar. All for the price of a new S2 Custom.

I just wonder how the LT will sound in a thick guitar with a thick maple neck...

Aside from the LT, my only other unused PRS pickups are McCartys, and a 85/15 neck. I really want the LT to find a home in one of my guitars. It looks so lonely sitting in a cardboard box with its lil conductors not attached to anything... poor little thing.

Don't underestimate the BK Riff Raff. I think that like the Black Dog, it will pair very well with your neck LT. In fact, that sounds so good on paper I'll try that pickup combo (58/15 LT/Riff Raff) tonight.

Back