58/15 S pickups...in the SE Hollowbodies

Doh!! I think I can tentatively chalk up my previous remarks to operator error. :confused:

I have been working remotely the past few weeks (away from home) and only have a small portable Yamaha THR II amp with me. I had just received the PRS SE HB II a couple weeks ago, and the Yamaha amp is the only amp I have with me for tone evaluation. I just discovered in the (hidden) amp settings (only accessible via the app) that the amp's compressor function was turned on. When I turn that compressor function off, voila! - a lot more treble signal comes through. So at least until I get back home in a few weeks from now, where I can plug the guitar into my normal/real amps, I can take back my comments of the neck pickup being lifeless/dark! :cool:

Doh!! I think I can tentatively chalk up my previous remarks to operator error. :confused:

I have been working remotely the past few weeks (away from home) and only have a small portable Yamaha THR II amp with me. I had just received the PRS SE HB II a couple weeks ago, and the Yamaha amp is the only amp I have with me for tone evaluation. I just discovered in the (hidden) amp settings (only accessible via the app) that the amp's compressor function was turned on. When I turn that compressor function off, voila! - a lot more treble signal comes through. So at least until I get back home in a few weeks from now, where I can plug the guitar into my normal/real amps, I can take back my comments of the neck pickup being lifeless/dark! :cool:

Glad to hear you got this figured out! I can understand these pickups not fitting someone’s personal tastes, but lifeless they are not, IMO.

I've had my standard hollowbody for a few months now, played with the pickup heights, tried 3 brands of strings (D'Addarios, NYXL and E Ball) and I'm just kind of "meh" about these pups. Just not getting a great depth on the neck (seems rather dull, mid heavy ?) and the middle is lack luster in the "bouncy" sound. The bridge doesn't seem to have more output than the neck. Maybe it's just me wanting more as the SE Paul's guitar pups are punchy, deep and well defined in the top end and of course the 57/08s in my McCarty are my favorites.

Anyone else ? Thoughts on these 58/15 "S" pups, variations on heights ? I'm playing through a Mesa Express 5:25 with a Vintage 30 speaker.

I really dig the 58/15 s pickups in my SE Hollowbody ii. I was skeptical at first, but I’m really liking them. I’ve only had the guitar for a few days, but so far so good. I’m a complete gear nut, and have tried all sorts of pickups. These seem to really complement the SE HB ii though

Back