58/15 Pickups - anybody not a fan?

There are a lot of folks who seem to find the import "S" versions of PRS pickups found in the SE and S2 lines to be underwhelming. I generally don't have an issue with them, but maybe I'm not picky. Or maybe I just use them as alternative voicings to what I hear from my core PRSi.

So you will be amongst a large crowd of folks who have swapped out their 58/15S pups for something different. Let us know how your journey goes!
I think they are damn good in the HB2. I picked up a set of 58/15LT with plans to drop them in and can't bring myself to pull the S. It took a little dialing in but once there, keepers.

This is coming from a tweaker that can't leave well enough alone...

Infesting comments about PAF style and midrange. I recently got my first PRS 594 McCarty with 58/15 LT and it does sound a bit scooped. However, my LPs with lower wind PAF style pickups have quite a bit more midrange.

I had a 2019 594 with 85/15 pickups that I never quite bonded with and ended up selling. I now have a 2016 594 with 58/15s - I like those better than the 85/15, but still not sure I LOVE them. I have a Zach Myers SE that I put a Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 set in and (at mid-to-high gain settings) that's probably my best-sounding guitar. Leads on the neck pickup sound PERFECT. I go back and forth about putting different pickups in the 594; part of me wants to just leave it stock (especially if I ever decide to sell it someday), and part of me is like "if you don't love the pickups, change them."

i never tried burstbuckers but I do love their latest custom buckers which come in CS guitars. I do prefer my LPs for high gain over my super strat guitars with hot pickups. Not sure if it’s more guitar itself or combination of guitar and pickups. Fact is both my R9s and R7 has most midrange and clarity out of all my guitars. I’m still learning my 594 which is Korina body with Brazilan board. I did notice that 594 get significantly darker with volume roll off vs LPs.

i never tried burstbuckers but I do love their latest custom buckers which come in CS guitars. I do prefer my LPs for high gain over my super strat guitars with hot pickups. Not sure if it’s more guitar itself or combination of guitar and pickups. Fact is both my R9s and R7 has most midrange and clarity out of all my guitars. I’m still learning my 594 which is Korina body with Brazilan board. I did notice that 594 get significantly darker with volume roll off vs LPs.
I'm one of those guys who's volume and tone controls are on 10 about 99% of the time so that specifically doesn't bother me.

Back