58/15 pickup question

Cocorosa

I own 2 beautiful PRSi, the 594 with P90’s and a custom 22 piezo with 58/15 pickups. I have reached the point that many of you will understand ie the other 3 none PRS guitars I have aren’t getting much of a look-in and it is time to decide whether to trade them in for another PRS.

My fledgling plan is to trade in against a standard 594 but I am wondering if that makes sense, given that it too has the 58/15 pickups? (The alternative would probably be the Tremonti.)

Will there be a significant difference in the sound of the 58/15’s in a 594 compared with the custom 22?

I have done some sound tests in the guitar shop but the amp plays a significant part in what I am hearing so I would appreciate some expert advice from here whilst I think about it.

Thank you :)

If it' a singlecut it will. I took possession of a very nice 594 singlecut and it definitely has a bite to it that none of my doublecuts have.

Plus the 594 is fitted with 5815LT versions.

It sounds really good but I struggle with the 2 volume 2 tone pots.

I haven't put a lot of time in on my 594 yet but so far I like the tone. Lot different than I was expecting. For the record, I have 8515s in my Mccarty and these two guitars do not sound the same

Will there be a significant difference in the sound of the 58/15’s in a 594 compared with the custom 22?

Yes. The 594 has 58/15 LT pickups, compared to 58/15 (no "LT") in the Custom.

In the neck, the LT is cleaner through the mids.

There is no neck or bridge model, so the LT in the bridge is exactly the same as what's in the neck. Therefore, it's noticeably cleaner and sweeter sounding than the 85/15 Treble. It won't push the amp as hard.

I own 2 beautiful PRSi, the 594 with P90’s and a custom 22 piezo with 58/15 pickups. I have reached the point that many of you will understand ie the other 3 none PRS guitars I have aren’t getting much of a look-in and it is time to decide whether to trade them in for another PRS.

My fledgling plan is to trade in against a standard 594 but I am wondering if that makes sense, given that it too has the 58/15 pickups? (The alternative would probably be the Tremonti.)

I have done some sound tests in the guitar shop but the amp plays a significant part in what I am hearing so I would appreciate some expert advice from here whilst I think about it.

Thank you :)

I also have one of the 594 Soapbars, and loved it so much I traded in my McCarty with 58/15s to get another 594 with the 58/15 LTs (not because of the LTs, but because I just dug the 594 Soapy so much).

The 58/15 LTs in the 594 sound different from the 58/15s in the McCarty (similar to your CU22 in scale length, etc), because the guitars themselves are different. Different scale lengths, different bridges, etc. They’d sound different even with the same pickups. But the pickups are a bit different, too.

In fact, I recently tried to match a track I cut playing the McCarty with the 58/15s, using my 594 with the 58/15 LTs. I couldn’t match it even with the same amp, same mic, same recording settings. The McCarty and 594 are simply two different guitars, and this shows up especially on recordings. It’d be pretty much the same with a CU22.

So you won’t have too much overlap, but it isn’t just the pickups. It’s the whole ball of wax.

At some point I may get another McCarty, because in fact I could have kept it and not felt I had too much of one thing. Choices, choices!

Of course, the correct answer is......buy a Santana! :D

So this suddenly turned into a game of Mornington Crescent, where the most unexpected, left field answer trumps the rest :D

Want to explain why?

So this suddenly turned into a game of Mornington Crescent, where the most unexpected, left field answer trumps the rest :D

Want to explain why?

Because you won't know what you're missing until you try one. Then, you'll be all, "where have you been all my life?" You'll get all warm and fuzzy, and all will suddenly be right with the world. That's why!

On a serious note, if you like your knobs on 10, they're out of the way on the Santana! It's got a chunky-ish neck. The 24.5 scale length and 24 frets just allow for some serious burning, and it chords easy. And, believe it or not, it's got good grunt to it.

Because you won't know what you're missing until you try one. Then, you'll be all, "where have you been all my life?" You'll get all warm and fuzzy, and all will suddenly be right with the world. That's why!

On a serious note, if you like your knobs on 10, they're out of the way on the Santana! It's got a chunky-ish neck. The 24.5 scale length and 24 frets just allow for some serious burning, and it chords easy. And, believe it or not, it's got good grunt to it.

SE Santana or US model or doesn't it matter?

SE Santana or US model or doesn't it matter?

Well, if you want to dip your toe in the water first, I'd go SE. If you just want to jump in the deep, US!

I will say some of the more recent SE Santana's look to be the bee's knees!

I got a 2017 Santana se and like it better than the PRS custom 24 that I got last year. That's my taste, but I will upgrade a couple of thing, tuners, nut maybe the bridge... That's my number 1 guitar right now!

Alex

Back