58/15 or 57/08?

Bradley Gavel

Was just wondering which is preferred (or any pickup for that matter)

I'm sort of looking for something that will really ring out on clean harmonics, have great mids but can also play some quality metal/punk tones. I have the stock SE 245 "S" pickups, and while I really do like the sound, I have a bit of trouble getting SOME clean sections to really ring out.

I'm not the most intelligent on pickups, so I'm seeking all opinions, there are no wrong answers.

Is there such a thing or am I chasing the impossible?

If you speak to Paul, he'll say the 58/15's had a much higher percentage of positive Artist feedback and would probably say its the 'better' pick-up as they have more years of experience and research gone into it too...

However, what people 'hear' and prefer from a Pick-up can be vastly different. Some want very hot pick-ups (which may limit how 'clean' you can get with your gear) and others prefer 'low-output' (which is much more difficult to make a great sounding, low output Pup) and if they want/need a 'boost', will use a Pedal. It also depends on the Rig you use and how 'willing' some people are to tweak their gear to a 'new' guitar/Pup. You'd be surprised how many times I have seen someone plug a 'new' guitar into their rig set-up for their 'old' guitar and immediately criticise the new as sounding 'bad'.

Anyway, you may find this useful...

For me, it's 85/15's, Starla's, 85/15S's, 58/15S's (sold McCarty & Dragon II's), and lastly 245's. I always played rockabilly and was often hired by Nashville recording artists. So I need that twangy (Tele) sound, on the low E string. I make pickup adjustments, within 30 minutes of bringing a guitar home.

I can give you some inexpensive after market pickup suggestions, if you feel you need to change pickups. PRS doesn't sell their pickups. I hope that this is some help. YMMV!

Last edited:
I prefer the 58/15 LT. To my ears, it appears to have more body compared to the 57/08 which are thinner sounding .
Both are extremely clear pickups and split well. Really just a preference but based on your description, I would recommend the 57/08

For me, it's 85/15's, Starla's, 85/15S's, 58/15S's (sold McCarty & Dragon II's), and lastly 245's.

I always played rockabilly and was often hired by Nashville recording artists. So I need that twangy (Tele) sound, on the low E string. I make this adjustment, within 30 minutes of bringing a guitar home. My second adjustment, is to lower the neck pickup and raise the pole screws. I go for a bridge dominant, middle position sound. This gives me a very full sound, for rockabilly.

I can also give you some inexpensive after market, suggestions. I hope that this is some help. YMMV!

Ah very interesting, could definitely see why you would use those ones for sure! Thanks for the info :D

I had guitars with both. I love the 57/08, but if I could buy 58/15LTs I would buy them in a minute. My DC594 had a clarity and fullness that was unparalleled.

DC594. Thanks for that gas that I really didn't need right now haha

I prefer the 58/15 LT. To my ears, it appears to have more body compared to the 57/08 which are thinner sounding .
Both are extremely clear pickups and split well. Really just a preference but based on your description, I would recommend the 57/08

Oo very good information, thank you :D

If you speak to Paul, he'll say the 58/15's had a much higher percentage of positive Artist feedback and would probably say its the 'better' pick-up as they have more years of experience and research gone into it too...

However, what people 'hear' and prefer from a Pick-up can be vastly different. Some want very hot pick-ups (which may limit how 'clean' you can get with your gear) and others prefer 'low-output' (which is much more difficult to make a great sounding, low output Pup) and if they want/need a 'boost', will use a Pedal. It also depends on the Rig you use and how 'willing' some people are to tweak their gear to a 'new' guitar/Pup. You'd be surprised how many times I have seen someone plug a 'new' guitar into their rig set-up for their 'old' guitar and immediately criticise the new as sounding 'bad'.

Anyway, you may find this useful...

Oh thank you for posting that, ill definitely check it out, valuable info :D

To my ears the 58/15 LTs are similar to the 57/08’s but feel a bit more high def in their tone.

Hmm, I'll have to watch some ABing, very interesting as it seems that people say the opposite in a lot of cases. However like you said, pups are very very personal.

I have a HBII with 57/08's and a CU24-08 with 58/15's (the "MT" variant) and, to me, the 58/15MT's are some of the best pickups I've used in a PRS. I'm not a huge fan of the 57/08 bridge, but LOVE the 57/08 neck pickup.

The 58/15's (to me) have that magic of the neck pickup but a much more suitable bridge tone for my needs.

Of course, these are in completely different guitars, so...apples and oranges. Even still, the 58/15MT's are an absolutely beautiful set of pickups. I'd love to try a set of "LT" variant.

My theory on this is because the 57/08s are normally paired with treble bleed caps whereas the 58/15LTs in 594s aren't. I found my PRS had a thinness to it until I clipped the treble cap, then I had extra body

Was just wondering which is preferred (or any pickup for that matter)

I'm sort of looking for something that will really ring out on clean harmonics, have great mids but can also play some quality metal/punk tones. I have the stock SE 245 "S" pickups, and while I really do like the sound, I have a bit of trouble getting SOME clean sections to really ring out.

I'm not the most intelligent on pickups, so I'm seeking all opinions, there are no wrong answers.

Is there such a thing or am I chasing the impossible?

I have, and love both the 57/08s and the 58/15s. The 57/08s have a beefier feel. but it seems to me that the 58/15s have more clarity. There's always a tradeoff between beef and clarity. The harder you drive the front end of an amp, the fatter the tone, because the added distortion (even clean tube amps will run at 10% distortion or so) adds low end because clipping turns a sine wave into more of a square wave.

A modeler that accurately models what a tube does will do a similar thing.

Given your preferences, I'd go with a 58/15.

However, I have no experience with SEs, so it's impossible to predict how they'll do in your guitar. Still, I think you want a lower output pickup for clear clean tones.

Here is a link for simple, pickup adjustments. I've gotten some really nice, inexpensive pickups from Porter and Bootstrap.

Guitar Pickup Height: Quick Tips and Thoughts - YouTube

I've agreed with you before on this. I don't have any experience with the Porter gatekeepers, but I do his main line. Outstanding. He's winding me another set now. Great guy that really knows his stuff. I have a set of Bootstraps too. Great pickups with the value to dollar that can't be beat.

I'm going to throw out an honorable mention for Wolfetone too, by far the best guy to deal with, lightning fast, and excellent pickups that I've been beyond happy with every set. Brian and Wolfe would be my go to guys to custom wind a set for a specific sound I was after. Drop Wolfe a line, tell him your guitar, and what you want. He'll nail it.

For me, it's 85/15's, Starla's, 85/15S's, 58/15S's (sold McCarty & Dragon II's), and lastly 245's. I always played rockabilly and was often hired by Nashville recording artists. So I need that twangy (Tele) sound, on the low E string. I make pickup adjustments, within 30 minutes of bringing a guitar home.

I can give you some inexpensive after market pickup suggestions, if you feel you need to change pickups. PRS doesn't sell their pickups. I hope that this is some help. YMMV!
Some are available...

Pick-Ups – PRS Guitars West Street East Accessory Store (prsaccessories.com)

Back