58/15 on my McCarty are dark

88prs

OCD for PRS
Hey Shawn! or anyone .... on my 2016 McCarty the 58/15's are especially dark on the bass strings neck pickup. Is there another choice that would brighten it up and make it more airy? Take the covers off?

Thanks!

Hey Shawn! or anyone .... on my 2016 McCarty the 58/15's are especially dark on the bass strings neck pickup. Is there another choice that would brighten it up and make it more airy? Take the covers off?
Just put in an 85/15

Strings.

When I first bought a PRS I was using Ernie Ball and my guitar was so dark I kept looking down at my tone knob thinking it wasn't all the way up (it was). Once I switched to D'Addario the guitar brightened up and the tone balanced out.

Wow, I've been using EB's for 40 years,,,, maybe time for a switch! thanks!

Wow, I've been using EB's for 40 years,,,, maybe time for a switch! thanks!

PRS uses D'Addario strings, so in theory by using D'As you're getting closer to the sound the way PRS intended it.

I still prefer EB with Gibson. I find D'Addario too bright on Gibson, but they're perfect on PRS.

Thanks!
FRESH strings make a big difference on my \m/ pups. Any brand.
Also, try moving pickup height AWAY from the strings to clear things up. Again, when my \m/ were muddy, that's what solved it.

Um....bass side strings on a 22 fret guitar neck humbucker are always dark. This is why some folks prefer 24 fret guitars. You get a clearer and brighter neck tone, and have the option to roll the tone back to suit. Playing around with the pickup height will give you very small variations. Maybe your amp is also not dialed in correctly to the guitar. Big mistake folks make is never change the settings on their amp and run 20 different guitars on the same EQ. Amps should be dialed into each guitar individually and then a chart kept of all the settings.

Maybe your amp is also not dialed in correctly to the guitar. Big mistake folks make is never change the settings on their amp and run 20 different guitars on the same EQ. Amps should be dialed into each guitar individually and then a chart kept of all the settings.

Totally, 100% agree; so many players forget this simple step!

Not saying the OP forgot to tweak, but it’s a really good reminder.

Back