58/15 LT+

A forum member had asked about an order placed this past April if the upgrades would occur prior to delivery. I also said something to the effect about a blanket statement regards Nov 1 and Jan 1 preorders and existing open orders, but edited/retracted that statement.

I don't think I mentioned anything about replacing tuners whatsoever...that was posed by Herr Squid...I don't think I commented on Herr Squid's convo with Shawn...

Here is what I was referring to:
I guess it all depends on when existing orders are being completed. I didn’t order a private stock that specifies each aspect of the guitar build, I ordered a production model guitar. The factory is running a minimum of 12 months behind on orders currently, so I don’t expect the guitar to be near completion ( finish applied and electronics installed) until at least April of 2020 and by then all of the above changes would’ve been implemented on production models.

Bumping this VERY informative thread on the 2020 SC 594, thank you Shawn for this great information.

I just picked up a 2020 SC 594 Prototype from CME, as seen on my "New Prototype Day" thread from Thursday night. It is amazing! Best SC 594 I have played, with the exception of my "Holy Grail" 2016 Private Stock SC 594 Prototype, and it is even within spitting distance of that great guitar.

1G8850F.jpg

PRS has nailed it IMO with these 2020 tweaks for the SC 594 (which was already my favorite guitar model ever). These pickups are killer in the SC, the Nitro finish feels great, and if the tuners are part of the magic formula of this tone, then (as much as I do prefer locking tuners for easy string changes) I won't be changing them out.

Shawn - A question for you - you documented here in this thread when the Nitro finish, new tuners, and 5815 LT+'s would kick in. What about the changes to the bridge that Howard Leese mentioned in his video with Tim Pierce? When were those changes implemented? Would a Core SC 594 (not this Prototype, just a Core one "out in the wild") that has the new tuners and LT+ pickups also have the 594 bridge changes for 2020?

Thanks!

Are you familiar with the technology Paul created? He spun off a second company called Digital Harmonic. With this technology, a photo taken in pitch dark has details, depth of field and it remains a color photo. He uses this same technology to measure the character of a pickup. Most of us are familiar with the "DC resistance + magnet type = the tone of a pickup" equation. Paul believes that is just the tip of the iceberg.
I smell machine learning :)

The neck joint will effect the tone of a guitar, so if all things were equal, a Singlecut would sound differently than a double cutaway guitar. The 58/15LT+ pickups are tuned specifically for a Singlecut neck joint.
The LT+ is only available in the SC594 model, they are not used in anything else. They are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups.
If Paul created the 58/15 lt + by tuning the 58/15 lt to be suitable for single-cut guitars, does he think that brighter and louder pickups are better suited for single-cut guitars such as Les Pauls? And what is the difference between 58/15 (not lt) and 58/15 lt +? I think both of those models will have a larger volume than the traditional 58/15 lt. Which of those two models has more volume? Does LT+ produce a brighter tone than non-LT models? Which pickups are better suited to double-cut hollowbody guitars, which typically have a darker tone than single-cut solidbody guitars?

The neck joint will effect the tone of a guitar, so if all things were equal, a Singlecut would sound differently than a double cutaway guitar. The 58/15LT+ pickups are tuned specifically for a Singlecut neck joint.

If Paul created the 58/15 lt + by tuning the 58/15 lt to be suitable for single-cut guitars, does he think that brighter and louder pickups are better suited for single-cut guitars such as Les Pauls? And what is the difference between 58/15 (not lt) and 58/15 lt +? I think both of those models will have a larger volume than the traditional 58/15 lt. Which of those two models has more volume? Does LT+ produce a brighter tone than non-LT models? Which pickups are better suited to double-cut hollowbody guitars, which typically have a darker tone than single-cut solidbody guitars?
The bridge pickup is also closer to the bridge on the SC.
Overall, the bridge pickup is brighter on my SC than my DC.
Oddly, both guitars have 58/15LT engraved on the covers. My DC is a 2019 and the SC is a 2020.

The changes mentioned in the Tim/Howard video are all "flying changes". The finish on all Core models is now the new nitro finish. All core pickups will be TCI by November 1st and the new 594 tuners will be 100% implemented by January 1st.
Shawn, I have a SC 594 that's marked 20 and has phase III locking tuners. Does that mean it was made in late 2019? Just curious really. I actually prefer the locking tuners.

Shawn, I have a SC 594 that's marked 20 and has phase III locking tuners. Does that mean it was made in late 2019? Just curious really. I actually prefer the locking tuners.
Some dealers had already ordered them with Phase III. So, it's possible it was ordered that way and completed in 2020.

Sadly, Shawn left PRS in May, 2021.

Back