58/15 LT+

The changes mentioned in the Tim/Howard video are all "flying changes". The finish on all Core models is now the new nitro finish. All core pickups will be TCI by November 1st and the new 594 tuners will be 100% implemented by January 1st.

So if I want the new pickups and locking tuners I need to get an SC594 created after Nov. 1, but before Jan. 1?

So if I want the new pickups and locking tuners I need to get an SC594 created after Nov. 1, but before Jan. 1?

According to Shawn, the 58/15LT+'s are being implemented Nov 1 2019, the new tuners, Jan 1, 2020.

Shawn had said in previous posts (correct me if am wrong here) existing orders as of April 2019 forwards will be implemented with the new designs.

Last edited:
According to Shawn, the 58/15LT+'s are being implemented Nov 1 2019, the new tuners, Jan 1, 2020.

Shawn said 'by' Nov 1st and the tuners 'by' Jan 1st - that means that you could find the tuners on guitars made in December 2019 but after Jan 1st, they expect that NO regular McCarty will be made without the Vintage tuners. There is no guarantee that if you want the TCI 58/15 LT's but with locking tuners, you will find one made between Nov 1st and Jan 1st will be available. They may implement Vintage Tuners on the SC first for example until they can get enough Vintage Tuners in stock to use them on all McCarty models by Jan 1st.

It maybe worth asking whether or not the Phase 3's will fit without the back of the headstock looking like its had its tuners replaced, find out the price of alternative Locking tuners if the Phase 3's don't fit and then add that on to the price you need to get the spec of the guitar you want. I know I want locking tuners so if I do decide to buy a new 594, I will be ordering a set of locking tuners that will fit at the same time.

I am sure it will have some impact on the tone but I am not putting up with regular type tuners and it would be something I would change on ANY new guitar (inc any Custom shop re-issues of vintage instruments) and don't expect non-locking tuners in 2020. I would probably switch to locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd type system with a locking nut because I can't stand wrapping strings around a post when its so easy to just pull the string through and lock it down....

Definitely having locking tuners is preferable, however in my opinion of a guitar is well made, and setup correctly, it can get away just fine without them. Both my Gibsons, and my 245 stay in tune amazingly well.

Shawn said 'by' Nov 1st and the tuners 'by' Jan 1st - that means that you could find the tuners on guitars made in December 2019 but after Jan 1st, they expect that NO regular McCarty will be made without the Vintage tuners. There is no guarantee that if you want the TCI 58/15 LT's but with locking tuners, you will find one made between Nov 1st and Jan 1st will be available. They may implement Vintage Tuners on the SC first for example until they can get enough Vintage Tuners in stock to use them on all McCarty models by Jan 1st.

It maybe worth asking whether or not the Phase 3's will fit without the back of the headstock looking like its had its tuners replaced, find out the price of alternative Locking tuners if the Phase 3's don't fit and then add that on to the price you need to get the spec of the guitar you want. I know I want locking tuners so if I do decide to buy a new 594, I will be ordering a set of locking tuners that will fit at the same time.

I am sure it will have some impact on the tone but I am not putting up with regular type tuners and it would be something I would change on ANY new guitar (inc any Custom shop re-issues of vintage instruments) and don't expect non-locking tuners in 2020. I would probably switch to locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd type system with a locking nut because I can't stand wrapping strings around a post when its so easy to just pull the string through and lock it down....

Agreed, though I think the question previously answered in posts involved if a guitar ordered in April 2019 would receive the 58/15LT+'s and new tuners, Shawn said "Absolutely."

The timeframe production window I think was what others might be concerned about, whether their orders in production prior to April would also meet the Nov 1/Jan 1 timeframe.

I don't think it wise badgering Shawn on this too much, though, he's got enough things to be concerned about without adding extra questions regards production windows on this forum.

Last edited:
Definitely having locking tuners is preferable, however in my opinion of a guitar is well made, and setup correctly, it can get away just fine without them. Both my Gibsons, and my 245 stay in tune amazingly well.

Of course it can - its not the regular tuners that cause issues - especially tuning stability IF you know how to wrap the string properly. The purpose of locking tuners though is more about quicker/easier string changes. People assume that 'locking' tuners stop tuning issues but most often its the nut and very rarely the tuner unless someone doesn't know how to wrap the string and so it moves which causes tuning problems. If its wrapped correctly, then the string doesn't move and therefore holds tuning. Its muh more likely that the string is binding on the nut if your guitar has tuning problems.

I want locking tuners for the purpose of making string changes much easier and quicker. All my other electric guitars have locking tuners for this reason too and I would change ANY guitars regular tuners for Locking tuners IF they are not supplied as standard - regardless of guitar - inc those with locking nuts as you still have to change strings....

@CandidPicker You responded to someone asking if they bought a SC 594 guitar made between Nov 1st and Jan 1st, would they get the TCI PU's and locking tuners - nothing was mentioned about pre-orders. It seemed to be a question about trying to buy the new SC594 with Locking tuners instead of the Vintage tuners which would definitely installed after Jan 1st, trying to get all the other new features but avoiding having to replace them after purchase.

There’s no “new model” without @bryanewald making a demo on YouTube. Every time something new comes on, I always go: ok, let’s see how does it sound in Bryan’s hands.
Aside from this pickup comprarison, I’m very interested in your opinion about the new nitro finishes (how do they look, feel... looks like is going to age?)

So I email Moore guitars and ask him about a 594 SC with + pickups. He responds that according to his information the factory is running 12-15 months behind. They have some on order but he doesn't know when they will be in.
So armed with that information who here thinks there should be a back date kit to re-fit the current, in stock 594 SC's with a + update kit.
The dealers could update the guitars they have in stock and have Happy Customers.
They could swap the stock pick ups for the + ones to PRS and PRS could put those in the the DC 594.
Sounds like a brilliant plan to me! lol

@CandidPicker You responded to someone asking if they bought a SC 594 guitar made between Nov 1st and Jan 1st, would they get the TCI PU's and locking tuners - nothing was mentioned about pre-orders. It seemed to be a question about trying to buy the new SC594 with Locking tuners instead of the Vintage tuners which would definitely installed after Jan 1st, trying to get all the other new features but avoiding having to replace them after purchase.

A forum member had asked about an order placed this past April if the upgrades would occur prior to delivery. I also said something to the effect about a blanket statement regards Nov 1 and Jan 1 preorders and existing open orders, but edited/retracted that statement.

I don't think I mentioned anything about replacing tuners whatsoever...that was posed by Herr Squid...I don't think I commented on Herr Squid's convo with Shawn...

Here is what I was referring to:

Shawn,
Is it safe to assume that the artist 594 hollowbody II that I ordered in April will most likely have these new appointments by the time my dealer takes delivery?

Absolutely!

So I email Moore guitars and ask him about a 594 SC with + pickups. He responds that according to his information the factory is running 12-15 months behind. They have some on order but he doesn't know when they will be in.
So armed with that information who here thinks there should be a back date kit to re-fit the current, in stock 594 SC's with a + update kit.
The dealers could update the guitars they have in stock and have Happy Customers.
They could swap the stock pick ups for the + ones to PRS and PRS could put those in the the DC 594.
Sounds like a brilliant plan to me! lol

Its not that simple!! The TCI process is more than just the Pick-ups but also the electronics and all is matched to each other to ensure the sound out is tuned to be just like PRS want. You cannot just put the 58/15 LT+ pick-ups into existing guitars and expect them to be the sound expected because they work in conjunction with the electronics - all matched together - to give the sound wanted.

The 'new' SC594's with the 58/15 LT+ Pups are also different from the existing models. The new one has a slightly different bridge that is set lower in to the guitar as well as a Nitro finish - the same Nitro that PRS have used in their Private Stock models for the past few years which, I am told, is different from their competitors and the historical Nitro finish from the 50's too. The other change is that the tuners are now Vintage tuners - not the Locking Phase 3's the existing models use. There maybe other tweaks that I don't know about but all of that culminates in the sound we have heard in demo's....

Its not that simple!! The TCI process is more than just the Pick-ups but also the electronics and all is matched to each other to ensure the sound out is tuned to be just like PRS want. You cannot just put the 58/15 LT+ pick-ups into existing guitars and expect them to be the sound expected because they work in conjunction with the electronics - all matched together - to give the sound wanted.

The 'new' SC594's with the 58/15 LT+ Pups are also different from the existing models. The new one has a slightly different bridge that is set lower in to the guitar as well as a Nitro finish - the same Nitro that PRS have used in their Private Stock models for the past few years which, I am told, is different from their competitors and the historical Nitro finish from the 50's too. The other change is that the tuners are now Vintage tuners - not the Locking Phase 3's the existing models use. There maybe other tweaks that I don't know about but all of that culminates in the sound we have heard in demo's....

Moz,

You are correct. Each TCI-tuned guitar receives pickups specifically tuned to each guitar, whether it be the SC, or DC, neck joints weight, finish, etc.

I think many are disillusioned into believing that their existing 58/15LT equipped orders will automatically receive the LT+s. That has not entirely been clarified yet and only time will tell...

Or perhaps these words from Shawn might help...

As I mentioned, all of these are flying changes which will be fully implemented by January 1 at the very latest. If you have a guitar on order, it will most likely come with the new appointments.

Prices will be announced to dealers before NAMM, but I don't know what, if any, price changes will take place.

@CandidPicker You quoted this question from Post #61

So if I want the new pickups and locking tuners I need to get an SC594 created after Nov. 1, but before Jan.
1?

And gave this answer in post #62

Shawn had said in previous posts (correct me if am wrong here) existing orders as of April 2019 forwards will be implemented with the new designs.

As far as I could ascertain, based on the fact that @tiboy quoted Shawn with the dates of expected changes, and appeared to have NOTHING to do with prior orders - just asking whether they should/could look for a 594 built between November 1st and January 1st if they wanted ALL the changes except the change to Vintage tuners. In other words, would it be possible to buy a SC594 that was made in Nov/Dec that wouldn't come with the Vintage Tuners but would have all the other changes to this model.

What you may or may not of been referring to wasn't clear because you were answering a question that wasn't about prior orders but about whether or not it would be possible to find a new SC594 with Locking Tuners if they looked for SC594's made in Nov/Dec. They didn't appear to have an existing order in place expected to arrive in those months and purely seeking an answer as to whether or not it would be possible to find a new SC594 that doesn't have the vintage tuners.

I have a SC594SH on order. In theory, it will be "born" in mid-November 2019. It will be curious to see what pickups it comes with. Because it was a model designated in June of 2018, I suspect it will be a frozen configuration, and it will receive those horrible regular 58/15LT pickups (I jest about the horrible, of course).

And I'm OK with that.

I understand about the Nitro finish vs the past PRS finish. Does that make a tonal difference? Maybe? The Plus pickups are designed for a specific Guitar OR a Specific Model guitar? Big difference between the two. Wood body thickness, neck woods, fret board materials, and on and on and on will change things but once a base line for each model is established it could be pretty standard for all the guitars in that Model.

If its the former then I don't see sales of the Plus pickups as an after market part. I mean how could the normal person perform all the super, duper tests with out the proper training and equipment?

Now maybe they are put in each guitar and then the guitar is tuned tonal wise. Seems that would be pretty labor intensive though.
I've been to the factory and I can't imagine that happening but I guess it could?

Back