58/15 LT TCI Wiring Question

Rcj520

PRS pickup wiring question. Bought a set of 58/15 LT TCI pickups and the wiring is different than I’ve seen before. Does anyone know the color coding for the wires? Each one has a bare braided sleeve, with a black cloth cable inside. Treble has Red/Green/Black and Bass has White/Green/Red

The black cloth wire inside of the bare braided wire is the most confusing part because I haven't found any wiring color codes that mention that. I am just trying to wire this guitar in basin full humbucker mode with a 3 way switch

Ill dig through it further, but I read through there before posting here. I saw the TCI 5 wire color scheme posted with the orange wire, but I do not have that style.

Ill dig through it further, but I read through there before posting here. I saw the TCI 5 wire color scheme posted with the orange wire, but I do not have that style.

It was in the last post of page 6

I did some digging, probing, pushing, pulling and palpating and here's the answer to the five-wire 85/15TCI pickup colour codes. The request for wiring info comes up fairly frequently here on PRS forum, so I hope it will be off use to some.

85/15 TCI Bridge:
- GREEN Screw/South coil Start
- RED Screw/South coil Finish
- WHITE Slug/North coil Start
- BLACK Slug/North coil Finish
- SILVER BARE or ORANGE wire - Chassis Ground / pickup shield

85/15 TCI Neck:
- RED Screw/South coil Start
- GREEN Screw/South coil Finish
- BLACK Slug/North coil Start
- WHITE Slug/North coil Finish
- SILVER BARE or ORANGE wire - Chassis Ground / pickup shield

From here, creating the wiring of your choice, should be a breeze

Orange wire and silver braided wire is a chassis ground/pickup shield. It should be connected to the potentiometer body or any other ground point

Its also explained on a product page on PRS Accessories

"
*Note on wiring:
The 4-conductor wire used on PRS 85/15’s has the same functionality as the 5-conductor wire used on 58/15 LT’s. The only difference between the two is the chassis ground wire. The 4-conductor design uses the shielding of the hot wire as the ground. The 5-conductor design uses an orange wire as the chassis ground."

Awesome thanks. So in this case for example, a basic full humbucker mode on the neck:

Green/white-Soldered together and unused
Red and bare shielding - Grounded
Cloth wire - Hot

I am also bad at figuring out wiring so I could be completely wrong.

Awesome thanks. So in this case for example, a basic full humbucker mode on the neck:

Green/white-Soldered together and unused
Red and bare shielding - Grounded
Cloth wire - Hot

I am also bad at figuring out wiring so I could be completely wrong.

I did the layout for you. I had no idea LTs came with cloth wire for hot; this was the first time anyone reported this. It may always be like that; it may be a new thing PRS is doing. Anyway, the cloth wire bridge is WHITE lead in mine, and the neck is BLACK.

IMO you are missing a lot not doing splits

Ground connections (pickup ground, chassis ground) can be moved to your liking. This is just the way I would do it.

You're awesome thanks. I went with a basic three way set up to keep it basic and the wiring threw me for a loop. I already have a Silver Sky, so I wasn't really worried about split tones in this guitar. Maybe in the future though, so if you have a wiring diagram for that setup, that would be awesome and appreciated. If I can get them uploaded, I'll put up some pictures of the different wiring on these.

You're awesome thanks. I went with a basic three way set up to keep it basic and the wiring threw me for a loop. I already have a Silver Sky, so I wasn't really worried about split tones in this guitar. Maybe in the future though, so if you have a wiring diagram for that setup, that would be awesome and appreciated. If I can get them uploaded, I'll put up some pictures of the different wiring on these.

Nice, I wouldn't bother with spliting if I had a decent SSS myself.

The only way to upload pictures here is third-party hosting infortunetally

Hmm, my head hurts...

Got a set of 58/15 LT's to go in an S2 594, can someone doublecheck my work?

Treble pickup:
cloth wire - hot
red/black - soldered together and to push/pull contact for coil split
green/braided shield - ground

Neck Pickup:
cloth wire - hot
green/white - soldered together and to push/pull contact for coil split
red/braided shield - ground

I used to be a whiz at this stuff, but with other things on my mind these days, I haven't kept up with it!

Hmm, my head hurts...

Got a set of 58/15 LT's to go in an S2 594, can someone doublecheck my work?

Treble pickup:
cloth wire - hot
red/black - soldered together and to push/pull contact for coil split
green/braided shield - ground

Neck Pickup:
cloth wire - hot
green/white - soldered together and to push/pull contact for coil split
red/braided shield - ground

I used to be a whiz at this stuff, but with other things on my mind these days, I haven't kept up with it!

Nailed it

I think what I am going to do sometime next week is start a new thread with all layouts and info on 85/15TCI and 58/15LT.

Layours, lead spec and function, grounding lay, and whatever will come to my mind regarding pickup swaps. I think a dedicated topic wouldn't be a bad idea.

Back