58/15 LT Questions

OneGuitarGuy

Hey I have two quick questions. I’ve owned a Core 594 for around 4 months and just recently decided to check the output of the pickups. The neck measures 8.0K and the bridge is 7.65K. When I bought this guitar I spent an unusually large amount of time setting the height of each pickup and now that makes more sense. It’s actually made me consider swapping the positions of the bridge and neck pickups, as I am accustomed to having either identical outputs or a hotter bridge than neck. I know they are identical, and I’m sure there is an acceptable tolerance level on the winding of each pickup, so my two questions are:

1. Is this type of variance a normal occurrence with this particular pickup?

2. Would switching their positions really make that much of a difference?

My 594 has a slightly hotter pickup in the neck than the bridge. I think that 58/15 LTs are wound the same but there is still slight variance. At first I thought I’d need to lower the neck pickup extra to compensate but they sound pretty even to me. I think it would be way more work than it’s worth to swap them around.

I have seen a non lt 58/15 as low as 8.5k instead of 9k. There is always some variation. Many of the Seymour Duncan’s I have read off by .7 or more from spec. They still sound like they should though.

I have 2 594’s. Both neck and bridge measure the same. One measures 7.7k and the other guitar measures 7.6k for both. I love the clarity of these pickups. The neck is still a slightly boomy at certain settings but I use it split a lot.

The 7.7k one sounds amazing, while the 7.6k one I cannot get the bridge to not sound thin, I think it’s the wood combination variance or the electronics aren’t helping. I just bought a 58/15 tm pickup set non lt. Gonna try the neck 58/15 at 8.15k in the bridge to thicken it up. If not I’ll replace the pots and caps, and try the bridge non lt.

If I were you I would switch them around and readjust the heights for balance and clarity. I just spend almost $500 to get the same thing. If you don’t like it I’ll trade you for a 7.6k lt for that 8k.

Last edited:
You want the hotter of the 2 pups in the bridge position for sure. Will make a big difference.

The 7.7k one sounds amazing, while the 7.6k one I cannot get the bridge to not sound thin, I think it’s the wood combination variance or the electronics aren’t helping. I just bought a 58/15 tm pickup set non lt. Gonna try the neck 58/15 at 8.15k in the bridge to thicken it up. If not I’ll replace the pots and caps, and try the bridge non lt.

I had this on my SC594, the bridge pickup was just too bright for my tastes. I put a 2 megaohm resistor on the tone pot and thought it helped. The end of that story is here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/anyone-measure-their-tone-pots.41436/#post-526250

Back