58/15 LT Questions

I'm looking at ordering a McCarty 594 in the next few weeks too. Did yours come with the Phase III locking tuners or the new nonlocking PRS is installing in the 2020 models?

I have an SC 594 inbound now with a hangtag date of Dec 23, 2019. It has the 5815 LT+ TCI pickups and the 2020 Tuners. (Not the Prototype guitar I posted last week, this is a production guitar.)

I suspect we will start to see a lot more SC and DC 594s with the full 2020 spec showing up at the dealers soon - which is great, because the Prototype I scooped up is AWESOME! (See my NGD post from last week.)

Sorry these are so big...
1F1C6cF.jpg

I have an SC 594 inbound now with a hangtag date of Dec 23, 2019. It has the 5815 LT+ TCI pickups and the 2020 Tuners. (Not the Prototype guitar I posted last week, this is a production guitar.)

I suspect we will start to see a lot more SC and DC 594s with the full 2020 spec showing up at the dealers soon - which is great, because the Prototype I scooped up is AWESOME! (See my NGD post from last week.)

Just saw the thread and the guitar looks nice. How do you like the newer 594 compared to the older one? Do the tuners make a difference (good or bad) and how are the pickups? They much brighter than the 2019 and earlier models?

I fully underestimated the power of the pickup swap until I put BKP Mules in my second 594 and compared the two. Then I put a combo of a Mule neck and a Riff Raff bridge into my Tremonti and those rock. I have a set of BKP Abraxas waiting to go into a project guitar, so I’ll have to tell you about those later. And I will. Oh yes...I will... ...

If you want more “balls and chunk” (Mike Portnoy quote), get some higher gain pickups and report!

Hi. I'm considering swapping my 58/15 LTs for a BK Black dog in the Bridge and a Riff Raff in the neck. Do you think that may work?

I was surprised I'm not a fan of thr 58/15 at all but a big fan of the 85/15. Its weird what small differences like a cover can make. To make it more confusing I really like 58/15 's' but feel 85/15 's' are missing.

Hi. I'm considering swapping my 58/15 LTs for a BK Black dog in the Bridge and a Riff Raff in the neck. Do you think that may work?
I've never played a Black Dog, but there is no doubt it will work. The question is whether you will like it. Try it and report!

I was surprised I'm not a fan of thr 58/15 at all but a big fan of the 85/15. Its weird what small differences like a cover can make. To make it more confusing I really like 58/15 's' but feel 85/15 's' are missing.
Yes, the potential confusion between the "58" and "85" including the "S" versions (or whether somebody's just adding the apostrophe + s to [incorrectly] refer to plural of them) is insidiously maddening. Making it even more complicated are the LT versions and then the LT+ on the singlecut models. I mean, I understand the model differentiations, but... I'm also very careful about taking comments to heart--particularly in other online communities, less informed than here--about one pickup versus the other.

I’m the same. I have 3 guitars P245, 594 and 594SC that came with 58/15 and 58/15LTs in them and they all have Bareknuckle pickups in them now (Abraxas, the Mule and Riff Raff). I tried Bareknuckles in my Custom 22 Piezo but went back to the 85/15s because I liked them better.

Yes, the potential confusion between the "58" and "85" including the "S" versions (or whether somebody's just adding the apostrophe + s to [incorrectly] refer to plural of them) is insidiously maddening. Making it even more complicated are the LT versions and then the LT+ on the singlecut models. I mean, I understand the model differentiations, but... I'm also very careful about taking comments to heart--particularly in other online communities, less informed than here--about one pickup versus the other.

It is all so damn confusing. Yes, the naming convention does make sense but it's geared more for insiders or a spreadsheet than your average consumers commenting and reading on the web.

I’m the same. I have 3 guitars P245, 594 and 594SC that came with 58/15 and 58/15LTs in them and they all have Bareknuckle pickups in them now (Abraxas, the Mule and Riff Raff). I tried Bareknuckles in my Custom 22 Piezo but went back to the 85/15s because I liked them better.
Nice choices. I have same pickups in almost the same guitars - very happy with them all.
What do you think of RR in your SC. I find it a little lacking the low end sometimes, but good with the band, and easy enough to eq where I need it.

I have the 58/15’s LT, not tci, and a buddy of mine has the tci version, so we sat down and compared them thru the same amp, using my studio pedalboard, (analogman kot-v4, jhs bonsai, analogman chorus, analogman modded boss delay) and honestly there wasn’t a big difference overall. We both noticed a bit more balance in volume when splitting the tci’s, but as far as tone, they were pretty close. If anything, the non-tci pickups had a bit more midrange and bass, but any difference was easily compensated for with volume and tone controls, either with the guitar, or amp. Next week when we go back to the studio, we’re going to record them both and see if we can detect any major differences....stay tuned!

I’m in the minority as I’m not a fan of 58/15 LTs. My last PRS has 58/15s, and I like them much better. I’d still pick 59/09s as my favorite PRS pup.

Nice choices. I have same pickups in almost the same guitars - very happy with them all.
What do you think of RR in your SC. I find it a little lacking the low end sometimes, but good with the band, and easy enough to eq where I need it.

I’m not a big fan of the RR. I bought them when I had an SG a few years back for that Angus vibe and that was pretty cool. I’ve been trying out a few pickups in different guitars and for me, right now, Bareknuckle The Mule is home base. It seems to always sound good in everything. Up until recently I had the Mule in the 594 SC and preferred it over the RR for sure. I’ve tried a bunch of pickups in my 594 DC and again the Mule is my favourite. For my next test I’ll try the Mule in the P245 and at the moment it wouldn’t surprise me if I’ll end up with Mules in all 3.

I have been thinking of trying out Throbaks as well. I bought one set MC102 and that was wrong for me. I should have gotten the SLE101 or SLE101 plus. And it would be great to compare them to the Mules.

Thanks to some inspiration from this thread, I did the switch yesterday and put The Mules in my P245 SH and Abraxas in my 594 DC and I think that's a better overall combination. The Mules in the P245 SH are great. I think I actually do like The Mules better in all those guitars though. Time to place an order :)

Back