58/15 LT Pickups

jwoodbury3571

I currently have a PS Modern Eagle that has the TCI Treble and Bass Pickups and PS McCarty 594 that has the \m/ Metal Humbucker Pickups. I'm considering another 594 that has the 58/15 LT pickups, how will they compare to the other two i have? What differences will I notice?

I currently have a PS Modern Eagle that has the TCI Treble and Bass Pickups and PS McCarty 594 that has the \m/ Metal Humbucker Pickups. I'm considering another 594 that has the 58/15 LT pickups, how will they compare to the other two i have? What differences will I notice?

The easiest suggestion is go to a store and try a 594 and get your answer - take your PS 594 along with you too so you can hear how different they are.

The \m/ pick-ups are at the highest end as far as output goes - around double at the bridge according to the numbers and the LT's are at the lower end so there is going to be a difference. They are different and therefore will be different. You will need to turn up the gain more or use some boost to push the Amp as hard with the 58/15 LT's but may find it cleans up easier when you roll the volume down.

It really doesn't matter what I (or others) say though because its subjective and no matter what anyone says, you can have a different opinion IF you get out and try them yourself.

The LTs are like vintage PAFs. They sound awesome, but are lower output. Depends on what you are looking for the to do. I’ve had \m/, and the Narrow 408 in a Paul’s Guitar; the LT would be closer to the Paul’s, in my case. If you’re looking for something that covers that classic rock sound, the LTs will be fine.

I’ve had several 594s and enjoyed the LT pick ups, especially the neck. For my money, the best combo was a 59/09 in the bridge and an LT in the neck.

How do they compare output wise to the TCI pickups that are in my Modern Eagle? I wish shops around carried these types of guitars so i could try them but nobody stocks PRS around me.

How do they compare output wise to the TCI pickups that are in my Modern Eagle? I wish shops around carried these types of guitars so i could try them but nobody stocks PRS around me.

I would say a little more vintage that the TCI. The splits will be very good on the LT, but not as good as the TCI.

If you are used to the \m/ you may be disappointed if you like that high gain. I like a hotter pickup myself also. I bought a 594 with the LT's and it was not quite as hot as I wanted so I put a 58/15 in the bridge and left the LT in the neck and am super happy with the tone of my 594. I've also seen new 594's listed with 58/15's in both neck and bridge making it a bit hotter. That may be the one for you. My favorite PRS pickups are the 85/15's in my Custom 22. Butter..... have fun.

A lot of what you end up liking about pickups does come from the techniques you use and your playing style...your actual needs out of a pickup is usually a question only you can answer...but i'll give my 2 cents

When I play metal stuff my preference for a riffing guitar is a SC594 with the 58/15LTs, i also use my CU24 floyd with the metal pickups for stuff that requires a floyd. Night and day difference between the two guitars/pickups the 58/15s are fatter rounder darker and the lower output ends up translating into picking clarity for me on the 594, i have no trouble getting the output needed. The metal pickups are brighter and have more sizzle, totally different, and i'm sure you have experience with the awesomeness of those. Amps i use for high gain situations are either a Diezel VH2 or an ENGL powerball 2 for reference.

Back