58/15 Low Turn Pickup Alternatives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guitarcal, Nov 26, 2016.

1. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

Yeah, I'd imagine the Mules do very well if you've an amazing guitar, just had to give a plug for Monty's these PAFs are just on another level.

He doesn't offer wax potting at all. He told me that the kind of wind he uses jsut doesn't feedback, whereas BKP use a tight wind with the tape tight as hell to prevent any vibrations. Worth checking out for sure.

How do you find the Mule? It sounds to me from clips of the 594 that the Mule has more power and mids.

#41 GavQuinn, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

I’ve used a lot of unpotted PAF replicas. I’d recommend them on the neck and it opens up the tone. The bridge was good too, but the neck was really where the money was at.

I have noticed that the unpotted pickups really show the maker’s skills. They aren’t all equal. Some unpotted were good, some felt more microphonic, some were so amazing and you didn’t even know they weren’t potted.

if they're made right, they shouldn't feed back at all.

3. ieso

ieso New Member

Definitely contact Fralin and they will hook you up.

4. Karan D. Taktawala

Honestly, I could not be happier than I am with the Mule.
    It has a very flat response depending g on how intelligently you use your tone knob which is what I wanted because my 594 is just innately a bright sounding guitar.

With the tone at about 6 and the volume at 8.5 or 9 it pretty much sounds exactly like it would unplugged but amplified. Which is what I wanted. They also respond brilliantly to the volume knob and clean up nicely.

I usually keep my tone at 7.5 to get the sound just bright enough and then dabble between 5.5 to 9 on the volume dependent on how driven I want the sound

Also, I understand they pretty much scatter wind the pickup like an old PAF, it’s supposed to be a very accurate recreation of how a PAF would have been made. Not a specific PAF just a PAF so there’s no tight winding like you mentioned

5. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

They do actually, they told me that. They scatter wind the wire but the tightness of the wind is what allows an open tone that doesn't squeal. They wrap the tape around the pickups tight, and they're taped tight if they're unpotted to ensure they don't squeal. If they're covered, they'll tape inside the cover for extra proofing against vibrations that could cause same. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just their manufacturing process.

I just got in depth in discussion about the unpotted Mules before, it was interesting. I play with a good chunk of gain and was sceptical about going for unpotted PAFs, but they were great, they convinced me, they didn't feed back.

It's just by contrast, Matt at Monty's has figured out the exact pattern that doesn't feed back and runs with that way. To be fair, his pickups don't shreik, but they DO feedback and it's a lovely thing. I've got a pair in an SE245 and it feeds back like a vintage Gibson, it's amazing, you can hold it and sustain a note.

bodia and dogrocketp like this.
  6. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

Soooooo I'm getting an S2 Singlecut Semihollow and I'll most likely end up replacing the pickups. I really like the 58/15 set (normal, not LT), but they don't seem to pop up for sale on Reverb very often. Anybody have any recommendations for something similar?

7. Alan Bean

Alan Bean New Member

Nice writing, Karan.

Here's my very early $0.02. I just bought a McCarty 594 new 3 days ago. I immediately fell in love with the neck and the control layout, as I have played Les Pauls ever since I bought my '59 in 1973. (Yes, a real burst). The PAF pickups on my '59 were unpotted and prone to feedback at high volumes/gain. So, I potted them ... travesty, you say. No. Really love the difference in sound and no feedback. (my shoulder/back are loving the lighter 594, too!)

I just heard back from Shawn at PRS tech support and it will NOT void my warranty by potting the 58/15 LT's. These are too glassy and prone to high end squeal for me. I will report back in a couple of days when I have pulled the pickups and potted them fully. I am also replacing the linear taper volume controls with audio taper CTS (my preference).

8. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Just to spice up the conversation, I’ll be a bit of a contrarian. :D

As an admitted pickup swapper, I’ll also concede that no pickups sound good through a crappy amp. Heck, fantastic pickups through a fantastic but wrong-for-the-application amp will not work. It’s not the pickups’ fault! You’ve just mismatched the guitar for the amp. The builder will match the electronics with the guitar in a way to emphasize the voice they envisioned, but what they can’t control is what you plug it into. My approach it usually to let the guitar speak for itself but if a pickup swap works, then give it a try.

bodia likes this.
  9. Karan D. Taktawala

Nice, look forward to your findings. Since you have had a real burst in your possession. How do you feel the 594 fares in comparison to repros/an original?

10. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Alan, Alan, Alan. Are you looking for a surrogate son? Or guitar sitter for when you go on holiday? Guitars get very lonely sat in a house all by themselves you know....

Karan D. Taktawala likes this.
  11. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

My philosophy is thus: Lower output pickups that are brighter and for bigger headroom and gain. Pedals that give bigger headroom, amp with headroom.

The result is a deep sound that I can add lots of brightness to or remove bass as I wish, it also gives YUGE dynamics in your picking hand, you can go from cleanish to heavy just with the pick attack. Also vol and tone knobs are far more usable with brighter pickups.

Cleans are bright but warm, clear and smooth, rock tones have girth and serious power in the lows and mids without having to resort to adding gain. If I dig in, it sounds gainier than it is, it requires a heavy hand, 11/50 strings, but on the 245 it's easy.

Just copped it from trying a lot of stuff and my personal idea of great tone. (My tone is stupendous)

12. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

You've decided to pot new pickups after days of using them? Are they squealing already or is this something you think will happen?