57/08's

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Kick all kinds of a$$. I started going through watching some old vids on my computer. Ran across a video I did on a McCarty 5708 guitar prior to selling. I usually do that to document all the controls are working and whatnot. I slightly regret selling EVERYTHING that's in that crappy little video, cause it sounded great.
It's funny how when the latest and greatest new thing comes out everyone kinda moves along to that. The 5708 is still my favorite neck pickup PRS makes. I have one covered(as matched set) and one uncovered paired with a \m/ bridge pickup on my PS. I think it's probably one of the keys to my sound, honestly. Much of the time, I'm on the high gain channel of the Archon but ride my 5708 neck pickup volume knob between 3-5 for a clean to semi crunch tone. I keep the bridge wide open a lot and switch between that cleanish tone to the middle position to full bridge humbucker.

Anyway just throwin' some love out for the 57/08.

I like other people’s 57/08s. Didn’t have good luck finding a pair that worked for me. 59/09s are another story. :cool:
Interestingly, 5-6 years back I used 5909’s a lot more because they were easier to come by. I like them a bunch as well. I need to go back and revisit them again. I still have a 5909 bridge in my SC and a neck in one of my McCarty’s.

Right on!! The 57/08 is THE pickup as far as I am concerned. It was not UNTIL the 57/08 that I enjoyed playing PRS - I always hated the HFS/VB combo, and Dragon IIs are hit and miss for me - I love them in a CU22, HATE them in a CE22.

Love 57/08s, very height sensitive. My first 5x/xx set was 59/09s in a Cu24 with ebony board and I thought they were too harsh. Stayed away from them until Steve’s ME I arrived and they kill in that guitar. Has me re-thinking 59/09s. I find the 58/15s have a bit more bite, in-between 57/08 and 59/09.

Sometimes I think my ears simply get fatigued with a sound after a while and change is good to mix things up again!

My three newer PRS have 57/08s, 59/09s and NFS. All three are fantastic! Makes me want to try other new ones. Like \M/

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a bunch of 57/08 last night on my single cut. I hadn’t used them in a while and was surprised how much I liked them.
I just went through this with the 53/10s on my Koa Sister. Good reminder to rotate among the pickup choices when available!

57/08s are really amazing, the hype is no joke. I'll be dropping a set in my 594 (and if anything from there, switching to a 59/09 in the bridge). That neck position is pure crack.
While I like the clarity of the 58/15LT, I like the more ‘warmth’ from the 57/08 most of the time. They can be a bit booming/bassy if not dialed in right.

It's a toss up between 5708 and 8515 neck pickups. Both produce excellent tones with Vol rolled back a bit.

I grew tired of 5708 squabbin bridge pickup that was in my CE, now it has 5909b 5708n combo.

2011 cu24 with 5909 set and it rocks.
1997 hog ce22 with 5310 set sounds great
2000 Mccarty with 8515.set kills.

While I like the clarity of the 58/15LT, I like the more ‘warmth’ from the 57/08 most of the time. They can be a bit booming/bassy if not dialed in right.

I really love the LTs, and it took me (embarrassingly) this long to really form a proper opinion of them (by way of finally being on new shiny tube gear). From how they play in the CU I know they'll be luscious in the 594.

I really love the LTs, and it took me (embarrassingly) this long to really form a proper opinion of them (by way of finally being on new shiny tube gear). From how they play in the CU I know they'll be luscious in the 594.
I still debate about putting in a hotter bridge pickup in my avatar guitar, but have left the LT in for now. I have too many other choices now for hotter bridge tones. The tyranny of choice!

Back