57/08s are now available aftermarket...

Gonna need a brushed cover variant.
12748185_984774658238261_183553633_n.jpg

Agreed! That's the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger.

Gosh, I love the 57/08s. This should be good news for folks who want something a little fatter sounding than the 58/15.

The 57/08's that I had in my SC58 (2012) had:

Bridge: 9.22
Neck: 8.52

The PRS pickups I've measured, in falling order:

59/09 Neck: 8.74 kOhm
59/09 Bridge: 9.83 kOhm

57/08 Neck: 8.52 kOhm
57/08 Bridge: 9.22 kOhm

58/15 Neck: 8.0 kOhm
58/15 Bridge: 8.88 kOhm

58/15 LT: 7.95 kOhm

Thanks for this very educational post!!

I have the regular 58/15's in my Private Stock Prototype right now, and they seem smoking hot to me, I guess relative to the LT's which I am most used to. I scored another set of 5815 LT's from Yankeebulldog, with Gold Screws (which the 2017 10-Tops seem to have), I am going to put those in the Private Stock and put the 5815's in another one.

I have a set of covered 5909's and a set of uncovered 85/15's, been meaning to try those in a 594 as well. Add the 57/08's on the list as well!! :)

I'll add on to the kudos to PRS for listing the alnico type. I also appreciate the tone profile charts.
I hadn't noticed this before, but the tone profiles are available for many (but not all) of the PRS pickups via the guitar model. e.g.:

santana_bass_2017.png

or

5815_treble_2017.png

Yeah, if PRS would just post more tech specs on their pickups, that'd be great.

I hadn't noticed this before, but the tone profiles are available for many (but not all) of the PRS pickups via the guitar model. e.g.:

santana_bass_2017.png

or

5815_treble_2017.png

It's a new thing they're working on, which I picked up from a Shawn post. An excellent feature for sure.

Yeah, if PRS would just post more tech specs on their pickups, that'd be great.

YEEEAAAHH-THATD-BE.jpg

That was exactly the meme I was going for. I was way too lazy to post a pic, so thanks!

Cool that they're available now!

edit: I remember they had tone charts on the pickups for the old website. Nice they're bring that back. Always thought it was handy.

Last edited:
Thanks for this very educational post!!

I have the regular 58/15's in my Private Stock Prototype right now, and they seem smoking hot to me, I guess relative to the LT's which I am most used to. I scored another set of 5815 LT's from Yankeebulldog, with Gold Screws (which the 2017 10-Tops seem to have), I am going to put those in the Private Stock and put the 5815's in another one.

I have a set of covered 5909's and a set of uncovered 85/15's, been meaning to try those in a 594 as well. Add the 57/08's on the list as well!! :)
I can't wait to hear your tone comparison test report(s)! I am still tryng to decide if I want to take out VB HBS on my CU24 and if yes, what to replace them with.

Yeah, in order to match the DGT pickup in my CU22, when I reinstalled a Dragon 2 neck pickup, I rubbed it on some green scotch brite for maybe 30 seconds. I don't have a close up photo, but they match nicely.

Shawn, are this model going to be a regular or a limited run?

If anyone is going to get rid of their 58/15s or 58/15LTs... I can give them a home :D

DCR is not the be-all end-all of output. I have put my Gibson 59 tribute pickups (a2, measured 7.5k drc) in my SC245 and they sound much hotter than the 57/08tm

How the coils are wound, wire to insulation ratio, and magnet strength (not just formula) are key.

I'm not surprised that 57/08s are a2. Original PAFs were supposed to be built with the then current a2 formulations. Of course we know they were all over the place later on. The 57/08s also have that chewyness and growly low mid like most pA2 paf styles. But they do have quite a bit more clarity than most. I would fathom those high (relatively speaking) dcr ratings are offset by a weaker/degaussed magnet to clear them up and make them sound "old".

As a staunch DGT supporter and advocate, I can say that 57/08s are some of my favorite pickups on the planet. Some may know that my goldtop, that I post EVERYWHERE, is loaded with original first issue 57/08s - and they've been in the guitar since '09.

17127328_256292354823446_2208498129500635136_n.jpg

See the dark spots on the edges of the pickups? That's pick wear that has turned the pickups very shiny! Such a MONSTER player am I! HAHAHAHAHAHA....no.

Yup... good ole Scotch Brite. I am in the metals industry and this is what you use to put a directional satin #4 finish on stainless steel and bronze. You just need to make sure you only rub in one direction...hence the term "directional finish". If you have a stainless steel sink, this is also what you use to bring it back to brand new looking condition.

John Mann will put that on. He did a set of covered metal buckers for me and did a pretty fine job with them.

Yup... good ole Scotch Brite. I am in the metals industry and this is what you use to put a directional satin #4 finish on stainless steel and bronze. You just need to make sure you only rub in one direction...hence the term "directional finish". If you have a stainless steel sink, this is also what you use to bring it back to brand new looking condition.

John Mann will put that on. He did a set of covered metal buckers for me and did a pretty fine job with them.
Nice!! I'm going to have to work up the courage to do that to the 57/08 in my SE Chris Robertson! :) I LOVE the look of brushed steel covers.

Back