57/08s are now available aftermarket...

Cheers for that. John Mann has them listed on his site and is taking preorders. Others might be too!

Dude.

DUDE.

Red letter day in the history of PRS guitars.

Magnet:
  • Treble: Alnico 2
  • Bass: Alnico 2
As far as I know, this is the 1st time PRS has actually let us know which alnico they're using. As someone who has done a bunch of magnet swaps in guitars, not knowing what's in there to begin with leaves little room for improvement other than just straight up trial and error. You can get vastly different sounds from the alnico variants so this is pretty spectacular.

I like that PRS is offering these up, since they seem to be the bees knees.

I'm not ready to swap out any pickups in my PRSi, but I suppose if I ever do this might be where I would go...

Although the \m/ pickups also look tasty, for a completely different sound!

Red letter day in the history of PRS guitars.

Magnet:
  • Treble: Alnico 2
  • Bass: Alnico 2
As far as I know, this is the 1st time PRS has actually let us know which alnico they're using. As someone who has done a bunch of magnet swaps in guitars, not knowing what's in there to begin with leaves little room for improvement other than just straight up trial and error. You can get vastly different sounds from the alnico variants so this is pretty spectacular.

As a long time PRS customer who's been frustrated by their lack of specificity about this in the past, I say: "Thanks, PRS."

9.4K in the Bridge?? I had no idea they were that hot. I don't think the earlier ones were.

5909's are in that range in the bridge too, and I have found those to sound much hotter over the years.

As I am stocking up on multiple SC 594's, perhaps I should throw a set of 5708's in, I could compare the 5815 LT's, regular 5815's, 5708's and maybe 5909's, if I bought just a couple more SC's. Sounds like a good excuse to me!! ;)

9.4K in the Bridge?? I had no idea they were that hot. I don't think the earlier ones were.

5909's are in that range in the bridge too, and I have found those to sound much hotter over the years.

As I am stocking up on multiple SC 594's, perhaps I should throw a set of 5708's in, I could compare the 5815 LT's, regular 5815's, 5708's and maybe 5909's, if I bought just a couple more SC's. Sounds like a good excuse to me!! ;)

There is no way 57/08s have a 9.4 dc res. in the bridge. Absolutely no way, unless they've done another revision. I have Gibby burstbucker 3's that drive the pre-amp much harder than a 57/08 and those are only listed at 8.4 dc res.

I have a pair of covered 57/08s that are only a couple years old.

Here is the resistance:

Bridge - 9.01
Neck - 8.57

BTW, it is awesome they are offering these. Too bad I paid almost the same price second hand.

I put 57/08's in my trusty 2003 CE 24. My luthier did the McCarty wiring, and they coil tap. Both pickups together tapped is muy funky. The neck sends me to heaven for solos, and I Actually use the bridge alone. It rules.

Early 57/08s were all over the map as far as resistance goes... just like Gibson PAFs from the 50s. ;)

So we can assure here that this new release is "not like the old ones". Oh, no, are we there? :confused:

The 57/08's that I had in my SC58 (2012) had:

Bridge: 9.22
Neck: 8.52

The PRS pickups I've measured, in falling order:

59/09 Neck: 8.74 kOhm
59/09 Bridge: 9.83 kOhm

57/08 Neck: 8.52 kOhm
57/08 Bridge: 9.22 kOhm

58/15 Neck: 8.0 kOhm
58/15 Bridge: 8.88 kOhm

58/15 LT: 7.95 kOhm

Gonna need a brushed cover variant.